residential unlimited broadband

haza

Featured Posts

hi every one could any one help me with this one please ,i am looking into  unlimited broadband . is this doable and if so ..any of you guys have it ,when i took over my reso 5 years ago ..the former resident ,told me he had is landline phone in is boat ,at the time i thought ok i will go along with this ,but having cleared some rubbish out of a shed on the moorings .low and behold there was a bt connection mounted in the corner of the shed ..so maybe after all he did have a land line phone on is narrowboat ...i am prepared and waiting for all the jokes on this one ...lol but from it i may glean some info on this , kind regards 

5 minutes ago, haza said:

hi every one could any one help me with this one please ,i am looking into  unlimited broadband . is this doable and if so ..any of you guys have it ,when i took over my reso 5 years ago ..the former resident ,told me he had is landline phone in is boat ,at the time i thought ok i will go along with this ,but having cleared some rubbish out of a shed on the moorings .low and behold there was a bt connection mounted in the corner of the shed ..so maybe after all he did have a land line phone on is narrowboat ...i am prepared and waiting for all the jokes on this one ...lol but from it i may glean some info on this , kind regards 

Quite a few marinas that have residential planning permission have permanent 'telephone land lines' to each mooring.

Our old BWML marina at Whixall (on the Llangollen) did.

There were several boat connected land lines in the Town Basin at Aylesbury before it was redeveloped.  I don't think there are any now.

Given the ubiquity of 3 and 4 G mobile data and the lower costs of mobile compared to landline,  why bother with a landline unless you are after FTTP/boat? 

N

As with most things to do with 'property' - it's all about location, location, location.

The existing line to a shed may be slow speed  - nothing to do with the shed, more to do with the local infrastructure and how far away is the local cabinet supplying the 'neighbourhood'

ours was two miles away and the best speed was around 6Mb, pretty desparate for any downloading, but just about OK for catch-up.

Thanks to a government initiative / LA bullying we had FTTP  provided free last August and could have 100 Mbit + (we went for 30 Mbit for starters). We're 'rural' and the service comes overhead.

If you look on Youtube you can view a mix of quite poor cabling providing a service  - so anything's possible.

The question is - do your really need high speed?

Edited by OldGoat

Mobile networks have come a long way in recent years, for example you can get a “home” broadband package from Three including a router.  This was £17 a month before Christmas.  Alternatively with Three you can have a phone package with unlimited everything for £20 a month.  So as long as you have a decent phone signal on your mooring, you can just use a mobile for broadband and then it is just then same when you are away from your mooring.

There are some CRT long term moorings that include a BT phone connection, but I would think that virtually no one uses these anymore.

thanks every one ..i am not wanting a landline .at the moment i have 50 gig of  EE dongle for ..for  my laptop .then i went and got a smart tv. with netfix and all the other things that come with such tvs , ,so for me to use the tv and all it offers it would tak all my monthly data in a couple of days .so unlimited data is what i would need .the reason i mentioned the bt connection  box in the shed was becuse maybe that could be a way of getting unlimited broad band ..it was just some thing i was thinking abt really regards

Have a look at what the signal levels are like with Three in your area, they offer a contract that is unlimited* everything (minutes / texts / data)  for around the £20 mark, their phone sims are also no longer prevented from working in dongles / mifi units.

* we all know that unlimited deals on anything really have limits, previously Three used to start looking at your usage when you went over 1000 Gb in a month.

With regard to landlines we have previously had a landline installed to a wooden shed on the beach, BT will install almost anywhere but you will pay through the nose for everything (initial survey / installation / line rental), ask about non served premises, in our case it worked out at around £70 per month for line & broadband but we were probably an outlier.

We have land line boxes on each of our residential moorings here. A few people use them. We have a really good 4G signal here. Much faster than the land line broad band. I've never bothered looking in to getting the land line connected. Since I once accidentally destroyed an electric bollard by setting off with the shore line still connected I don't think I could be trusted with another wire...

If the mobile signal is poor where you are then it might be worth it.

Jen

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Since I once accidentally destroyed an electric bollard by setting off with the shore line still connected I don't think I could be trusted with another wire...

:D  greenie for that 

1 hour ago, Jess-- said:

Have a look at what the signal levels are like with Three in your area, they offer a contract that is unlimited* everything (minutes / texts / data)  for around the £20 mark, their phone sims are also no longer prevented from working in dongles / mifi units.

Three contracts also include Go Binge which gives you Netflix, Dave and other similar services without using any of your data allowance.

We do not have a landline in the house so no fibre broadband.

What we do have is a Huawei 525 on Three with unlimited data, we stream 4k video (prime) on it and watch Netflix plus catchup on terrestrial channels. 

We are in a good 4g area and speed is not bad, double the speed of my previous talktalk landline.

Cost is £21 a month cheaper than a landline ;)

Screenshot_20200110_173432_meteor.test.and.grade.internet.connection.speed.jpg

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Three contracts also include Go Binge which gives you Netflix, Dave and other similar services without using any of your data allowance.

Not relevant if you have unlimited data though, and for around £20 a month why not go unlimited, then you not have to consider how you use data at all!

28 minutes ago, Loddon said:

We do not have a landline in the house so no fibre broadband.

What we do have is a Huawei 525 on Three with unlimited data, we stream 4k video (prime) on it and watch Netflix plus catchup on terrestrial channels. 

We are in a good 4g area and speed is not bad, double the speed of my previous talktalk landline.

Cost is £21 a month cheaper than a landline ;)

Screenshot_20200110_173432_meteor.test.and.grade.internet.connection.speed.jpg

The thing that you are loosing out over a decent landline connection is the ping time, 47ms is slow by today's standard.  No necessarily important depending on what you do with the connection of course.

Edited by john6767

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Not relevant if you have unlimited data though, and for around £20 a month why not go unlimited, then you not have to consider how you use data at all!

The thing that you are loosing out over a decent landline connection is the ping time, 47ms is slow by today's standard.  No necessarily important depending on what you do with the connection of course.

Agreed it varied between 12ms and 35ms on my talktalk line but max speed was only ever 36mb.

Still it works for me.

14 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Agreed it varied between 12ms and 35ms on my talktalk line but max speed was only ever 36mb.

Still it works for me.

If you’re not online gaming then <50ms will be virtually unnoticeable. You could even video Skype with no problems. 

13 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If you’re not online gaming then <50ms will be virtually unnoticeable. You could even video Skype with no problems. 

Which we do on a regular basis

What is this gaming of which you speak ?

16 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Which we do on a regular basis

What is this gaming of which you speak ?

It's a pastime used by (far too many) folks to white away the hours when they could be occupied by much better pastiimes suc as bell ringing, brass polishing ( of boat equipment - not brass rubbing), contemplating one's navel (not ver satisfying) and suchlike.

As one who knows what 'Writtle-talk" means - I wonder wthether the development of electronic communications was really worthwhile...

well if i could get unlimited broadband i could get netflix even some thing called a dodgy box, then i could watch all the new films all sports  .but i think thats breaking the law ,,and we dont want to be doing that now do we ..what with all the other things going on in the world ,,electronic communications really worth it ...

13 hours ago, OldGoat said:

It's a pastime used by (far too many) folks to white away the hours when they could be occupied by much better pastiimes suc as bell ringing, brass polishing ( of boat equipment - not brass rubbing), contemplating one's navel (not ver satisfying) and suchlike.

I find watching paint dry a very satisfying alternative........as long as you don't paint in the winter.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Are you the only one?

Google was no help. 

T'would appear so!

It goes back to the very, very early days of broadcasting in this country - before the Beeb was the British Broadcasting Company  was formed. There was a private, experimental test headed by one P.P. Eckersley of Marconi. He broadcasted regularly from Chelmsford  and woud repeat "Writtle-Talk" (rolling his Rs - no smut please) as part of his call sign.

Well, I found it amusing.

Theres a lot more on Wikipedia with some fasciniating information... 

6 hours ago, OldGoat said:

T'would appear so!

It goes back to the very, very early days of broadcasting in this country - before the Beeb was the British Broadcasting Company  was formed. There was a private, experimental test headed by one P.P. Eckersley of Marconi. He broadcasted regularly from Chelmsford  and woud repeat "Writtle-Talk" (rolling his Rs - no smut please) as part of his call sign.

Well, I found it amusing.

Theres a lot more on Wikipedia with some fasciniating information... 

And what did John Logie Baird say on his tests, “Hoots Mon”?