Well done CRT?

meerdog

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, Tom and Bex said:

If this is correct and CRT count a set of mitre gates as one 'gate', then taking the figures fron the op I make it an average of 26.8 years which sounds about right.

Makes sense as you wouldn't plan to replace a single gate on a pair of mitre gates, surely they'd always be replaced as a pair?

CRT's latest figure of 118 is 'for leaves' not 'gates'. They specifically state 'lock gate leaves'.

Of the 118 hand-crafted lock gate leaves due to be replaced ...

The OP's maths assumes that each lock has 3 leaves - 1580 locks x 3 leaves per lock = 4740

To replace leaves on average each 25 years you have to replace about  almost 190 per year (i.e. 190 x25 = 4750)

CRT themselves say they should be replacing at a rate of 150-200 per year.

23 hours ago, Tom and Bex said:

I understand the maths, but the OP just stated gates, and your post suggested a pair of mitre gates counted as 1 gate. I haven't bothered to read any CRT report or press release so can't comment on what they do or don't say. 

I'm sure the OP posted in good faith and was not aware that CRT have used different measures in its lock replacement programme.

The problem is that, whilst CRT has stated that on average lock gates need replacing every 25 years, they fail to say how many 'gates' or 'leaves' they have. They state the number of  'locks' on the system but provide figures on 'gates' or 'leaves'.

9 hours ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

I'm sure the OP posted in good faith and was not aware that CRT have used different measures in its lock replacement programme.

The problem is that, whilst CRT has stated that on average lock gates need replacing every 25 years, they fail to say how many 'gates' or 'leaves' they have. They state the number of  'locks' on the system but provide figures on 'gates' or 'leaves'.

A cynic might say that this mismatch is deliberate to make such direct calculations and comparisons difficult and open to doubt. I've never heard leaves used as a term for individual gates before this winter. It does make the number sound  bigger. From a lock gate makers point of view it is what they deal with, so not sure. It could be just another press release written by someone who doesn't actually know much about canals. The usual conflict between the conspiracy and cockup theories of history.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

On 10/01/2020 at 16:27, Detling said:

Yes they are into boating in a big way, but not into moving about the system. A major cruise for some/most of them is anything over 50 miles in a week for a summer holiday. Some do cruise a lot but a very small percentage, probably more don't even manage the 20 miles in a year. If they were not able to move beyond the water point many would be satisfied.  CRT still get their license fee and have virtually no maintenance as those pesky boaters don't smash their locks.

A significant proportion do move. But regardless...when they retire some/many will hopefully go on to become the hobby boaters of the midlands and continue to keep the system alive??