Boat painting.

Gerry underwood

Featured Posts

Just now, Gerry underwood said:

Come the warmer weather we will re painting our widebeam. The boat was re blacked in August of last year so I really don't want the extra expense of having the boat out of the water. 

Has anybody painted a boat whilst still in the water?

yes, but only one side!

17 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I have and was happy with the result, but if you do it in the open you WILL get insects and dust in the paint so don’t expect a high quality finish.

Don't ell me about it :

A huge swarm of midges in September, 1 coat high build primer, 2 coats of under coat and then got the 1st coat of gloss on ………………………………...

2-10-19c.jpg

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't ell me about it :

A huge swarm of midges in September, 1 coat high build primer, 2 coats of under coat and then got the 1st coat of gloss on ………………………………...

2-10-19c.jpg

Free nonslip

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't ell me about it :

2-10-19c.jpg

You think that's bad, look at this swarm of flies that attached themselves to my fresh paint last summer. Ideally you'd paint undercover but you can still get insects and dust blowing in from other people's work.

IMG_20190711_104635_1.jpg

IMG_20190711_104705_4.jpg

• Sad 1

Your not alone, I have this daunting task ahead next year too. The boat is coming out to be blacked in the spring, Luckily the marina I'm at has a slipway and an hydraulic lifting trailer to pull boats out and a large hardstanding area where you can do your own work. I plan to repaint the sides from the top of the blacking upto the gunells whilst on the hardstanding. Then the topsides will be done once back in the water. Painting in the marina is prohibited for obvious reasons, risk of neighbouring boats getting spattered and risk of spillages into the water or onto the pontoons etc. They do allow painting on the slipway though so that's the plan. We plan to sand the existing paintwork just enough to give a key then paint directly over. We've chosen similar colours to the existing ones so any scratches to the new paint wont be so obvious. We've bought Teamac marine gloss and will be rollering it on and tipping off with a brush. I wonder if anyone has used the Teamac gloss and how they found it to use?