Thornycroft RJ2

Honeyman

Featured Posts

Greetings,

I’ve recently bought myself a boat, my first. She has none of the attributes which I had thought would be desirable, being longer than I thought sensible, having a trad stern rather a rear deck to sit out on and no dinette to sit at inside. 

However what she did have was a boatmans cabin, and an engine room with an old hand cranked engine in it.

I fell in love at first sight,( when will I  ever learn).EB486AD0-9544-415A-BBBB-9AC400292DDA.jpeg.0b983e3e42921f531e74ee4e46c1533a.jpeg

The engine is a Thornycroft RJ2 and I’ve since learned that they are rarer than hens teeth. It runs well and appears to be sound.

My friends tell me “get rid of it” but you know how it is. I have no doubt it will cost me dear and probably end in tears but hey, I’m in for the ride.

The previous owner, Mr Boothby, has lovingly maintained it and given its rarity I feel an obligation to do the same. I have some experience of old engines having owned a string of old cars and motorcycles in my youth so I’m not daunted by routine maintenance or even rebuilds.

I would really appreciate any advice from your knowledgeable membership as to spares, servicing intervals and specifications and engineering companies, should the day come it needs more than fettling.

Be good to hear from you. 

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Good decision, a long boat, trad stern, back cabin and engine room are much more important than dinettes.

................Dave

Well done on your choices!

I had a quick Google and found a topic on this forum about this engine. Hopefully it'll be of some use to you.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/66387-thornycroft-rj2/

17 hours ago, Honeyman said:

ll in love at first sight,( when will I  ever learn).EB486AD0-9544-415A-BBBB-9AC400292DDA.jpeg.0b983e3e42921f531e74ee4e46c1533a.jpeg

Congratulations!! This engine will bring you more joy and pleasure than any Mitsubishi or Kubota lump ever could.

And always remember the following about the naysayers...

"Any man who fails to fall in love with a vintage diesel, has no soul".

~ MtB ~

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Spelling.

Skip the engine. Fit some nice comfy carpets and a dinette and extend the rear deck and fit a superb Japanese engine under the floor. Much comfier and reliable and useable. Perching on a silly trad stern is for dinosaurs.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Skip the engine. Fit some nice comfy carpets and a dinette and extend the rear deck and fit a superb Japanese engine under the floor. Much comfier and reliable and useable. Perching on a silly trad stern is for dinosaurs.

If you are minded to do that it would be better to buy a boat with nice comfy carpets, a dinette, an extended rear deck and a superb Japanese engine under the floor, and sell the boat with the RJ2 to someone who will appreciate it!

Me? I would enjoy the engine you have. With regular oil and filter changes the chances are it will run happily for years. And if and when problems arise there are still folk about who can help you sort them out.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

You aint got no soul man!

Doesn't the slow beat of a vintage engined boat stir you?

Or the roar and clatter of a Pacific loco exite you?

Or the glorious sound of a Merlin in a Spitfire?

Or even the beat of  Harley V twin?

2 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

You aint got no soul man!

Doesn't the slow beat of a vintage engined boat stir you?

Or the roar and clatter of a Pacific loco exite you?

Or the glorious sound of a Merlin in a Spitfire?

Or even the beat of  Harley V twin?

Oooh yes a fabulous V12 merlin engine sounds bloomin awesome. Some old knacker two pot boat engine however does not. ?

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

...and fit a superb Japanese engine under the floor.

51 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If only there was a such a thing...

Here is Mrsmellys engine of choice....glad mine doesn't take this long to start....

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

You aint got no soul man!  I have no soul.

Doesn't the slow beat of a vintage engined boat stir you?  No.

Or the roar and clatter of a Pacific loco exite you?  Yes!

Or the glorious sound of a Merlin in a Spitfire?  No.

Or even the beat of  Harley V twin?  Definitely not.