New pram cover for a widebeam.

Featured Posts

Various suppliers have their favoured materials for a new cover I'm planning to order this spring.

My preference will be one manufactured using acrylic canvas.  However my question is whether or not to have the PVC-backed version or not, as it has been suggested that the PVC-backing doesn't allow the fabric to breathe sufficiently and it also actively increases the risk of condensation due to the very nature of the backing.

Any observations or experiences based on using either of these options would be gratefully received.    

Many thanks.

I don't suffer any dramatic issues with the pvc backed version forming my narrowboat cratch cover. Of course, there may be issues due to scale as a widebeam pram cover will be monstrous in comparison.

(Actually,  it'll be monstrous without the comparison , but we're straying into aesthetic opinion there!) ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alimart said:

Various suppliers have their favoured materials for a new cover I'm planning to order this spring.

My preference will be one manufactured using acrylic canvas.  However my question is whether or not to have the PVC-backed version or not, as it has been suggested that the PVC-backing doesn't allow the fabric to breathe sufficiently and it also actively increases the risk of condensation due to the very nature of the backing.

Any observations or experiences based on using either of these options would be gratefully received.    

Many thanks.

Yes you probably will get condensation, we have this type of material fitted on our widebeam and get quite a lot, but it's no big thing to wipe it off.

Our Pram-Hood was a heavyweight 'material' (cotton, canvas ?) that, as advised by the maker, leaked at the seams, until it got wet enough, everything swelled up and was waterproof for ever after,

Ensure you have a window in the front section that can be rolled up/down in case it is raining so hard that it gets obscured.

Ensure all the side / front / rear panels can be removed individually so that you can have a sun canopy to avoid you getting sunstroke if you happen to be cruising on the 20th July.

We had a problem with water running down the sides underneath the sides and onto the cruiser stern which we overcame by having 'skirts' sewn onto the bottom of the sides that hang-over the side of the boat.

The cratch cover came with the boat and was a PVC'ish sort of material (PVC covered 'cloth') that became very, very stiff in the colder weather. I wouldn't recommend it.

Canopy.jpg

Cratch.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield