Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
magpie patrick

Energy saving question - fluorescent lights

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Please do not a) put words in my mouth and B) jump to conclusions.

No w to deal with your points.

1.  LEDs aren't reinventing the wheel they are a new technology about as close to the incandescent bulb as a horse and cart is to a jet engine.

2.  I never mentioned any school kids.  I did mention what seems to be a deep desire in you to return to the 1970s.

3.  I never mentioned saving the world.  I do know that my solar panels save me a lot of money each year.  Today they have generated 1/3 of the electricity I have used.

A typical posting from you unable to a) read and understand and b) resist from taking the "i am right" line.

I assume he has no LEDs on his boat he will presumably still be using incandescent bulbs there as well.

Wrong. Went all led years ago. But this house thing seems to have endless leccy without charging so a different scenario. 

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

...poxy modern low whatever they are lights and replacing with proper incandescent bulbs and can see again

The problem (IMHO) was that the initial Low Energy Bulbs also tried to con you into putting a lower equivalent wattage at the same time - I've still got some "free" (given away by British Gas I think) LE bulbs which were about 60W equivalent but stated to be for living rooms - of course they looked gloomy compared to the 150w tungsten we had! Now replaced with about 12W LED (on a dimmer) and all is well.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

When we had the environmental impact survey of the house before the solar panels were fitted the guy poked his head into the bathroom which had 6 of the old(fluorescent) downlighters.  "you will save over £30 per year if you change those to LED" he said.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

they had gone through the Lodges and thrown out all the fluorescent bulbs. 

Are you confusing fluorescent with incandescent perhaps?

I don't think I've never seen a fluorescent downlighter bulb.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Please do not a) put words in my mouth and B) jump to conclusions.

No w to deal with your points.

1.  LEDs aren't reinventing the wheel they are a new technology about as close to the incandescent bulb as a horse and cart is to a jet engine.

2.  I never mentioned any school kids.  I did mention what seems to be a deep desire in you to return to the 1970s.

3.  I never mentioned saving the world.  I do know that my solar panels save me a lot of money each year.  Today they have generated 1/3 of the electricity I have used.

A typical posting from you unable to a) read and understand and b) resist from taking the "i am right" line.

I assume he has no LEDs on his boat he will presumably still be using incandescent bulbs there as well.

Mrsmelly has the same attitude to batteries. Remember when he threw out the superb set of full traction batts worth a fortune that came with his boat, and replaced them with el cheapo leisures? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

All major retailers still have them at moment old boy. Funnily enough I have just been round mums house taking out her poxy modern low whatever they are lights and replacing with proper incandescent bulbs and can see again ? also still available to purchase new even though supposedly outlawed. I luuuurrvvvvv proper lighting.

Bless ya darlin' you just don't cope with change do ya. :hug: When you say those 'poxy modern' what you really mean is those old CFL bulbs, dontcha.  The CFL were quite poxy I'll give you that but next week when those incandescent bulbs need replacing you can use this little guide to help you convert you dinosaur bulbs into real ones. ?

FBFCAAE0-D797-432C-AD97-305E8CF2E4C8.jpeg

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Are you confusing fluorescent with incandescent perhaps?

I don't think I've never seen a fluorescent downlighter bulb.

No but it was probably now you query it Halogens.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

No but it was probably now you query it Halogens.

Ah now that makes more sense. 

Are halogens incandescent though? I think they are, but I'm not sure. I think an element can be made to run hotter and brighter in halogen gas.

23 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Bless ya darlin' you just don't cope with change do ya. :hug: When you say those 'poxy modern' what you really mean is those old CFL bulbs, dontcha.  The CFL were quite poxy I'll give you that but next week when those incandescent bulbs need replacing you can use this little guide to help you convert you dinosaur bulbs into real ones. ?

FBFCAAE0-D797-432C-AD97-305E8CF2E4C8.jpeg

Ahh but I am modern innitt. I am using old stock manufactured years ago weras u lot are buying new fangled crap that must be somewhat polluting at point of manufacture. That Swedish school bratt must be impressed as I am helping save the planet in one way even if using a tad more lectricity.

Edited by mrsmelly

29 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh but I am modern innitt.

Eh... no. But you are entertaining. :hug:

Can’t understand how anyone can complain about the light output of LEDs, assuming the output is matched.

I’ve got a LED torch (from screwfix).  It is at least as bright as a car headlight.  It all comes from a single LED that is 5mm square. And a single charge lasts for hours.

3 minutes ago, dor said:

Can’t understand how anyone can complain about the light output of LEDs, assuming the output is matched.

I’ve got a LED torch (from screwfix).  It is at least as bright as a car headlight.  It all comes from a single LED that is 5mm square. And a single charge lasts for hours.

Me neither - When my kitchen strip light went I replaced it with a square 30x30cm 26w cold white LED and the difference was phenomenal. Energy saving aside It's just a much nicer and more practical light source. 

• Greenie 3

Anyone had reliability problems with mains driven leds? I have,they don't seem to last the  manufacturers claimed 15000 to 20000hrs. Their life seems  to be a lot better than incandescents but only a bit better than flourescent and CFL. Its the driver circuit (in the base) that fails, the led device itself is usually ok. Cheapo components in the driver that can't stand surges and spikes in the mains ? Dimmable leds? Forget it with a conventional  old fashioned  style dimmer switch- the leds fail after a few hours.

1 hour ago, billh said:

Anyone had reliability problems with mains driven leds? I have,they don't seem to last the  manufacturers claimed 15000 to 20000hrs.

Originally these low energy lamps were promoted as expensive but lasting for ever. I thought at the time they'll need to find a way to make them fail or the replacement market will evaporate.

I bought one the other day and the slogan on the box shouted something like "Continuous light guaranteed for up to two years". 

WTF???!!!