Mercia to Sawley

fergyguy

Featured Posts

Fingers crossed in a few weeks time I will be aboard my new ( to me) 57x12 Widebeam currently moored at Mercia marina which is very nice and very pricey so I will be mooring for about a year at Sawley whilst getting used to boat life and getting some practical experience in the water. Moving from Mercia to Sawley is there anything ( issue wise ) I need to be aware of ???

I just knew you would be first to comment PeterBoat..., I must confess from the moment I stepped onboard I instantly knew it was the boat I wanted despite it not ticking some of my must have lists but I left with the biggest smile on my face happy in the knowledge it is the right boat for me.

• Love 1

The 1st lock( Stenson) is probably one of the deepest and scariest you will find for a while. Luckily, you are going downhill, there isn't much of a cill, and you should be able to take your time without any gongoizlers at this time of year.

• Happy 1

13 hours ago, fergyguy said:

Moving from Mercia to Sawley is there anything ( issue wise ) I need to be aware of ???

As said by Matty beware Stenson lock as it’s particularly deep. You’re likely to be “assisted” by volunteers here but not at the following locks down to Shardlow. You may want to lift the lower paddles quicker than they advise once you’re on your own, even if you are taking things steady! 

There’s a narrow section with hidden underwater stone shelf after Swarkstone but a sign warns you of that, and obviously take care on the river if it’s still high.

• Happy 1

Thanks Mrsmelly if I were to go other way ( not that I will be as I need to get to my Sawley mooring) how far is it possible to go in such a boat the opposite way? and at that point is there room to turn around.... I’m thinking if mooring at Sawley for first year getting used to boat life and practicing my boat skills so would do this stretch with my L plates on lol

2 minutes ago, fergyguy said:

Thanks Mrsmelly if I were to go other way ( not that I will be as I need to get to my Sawley mooring) how far is it possible to go in such a boat the opposite way? and at that point is there room to turn around.... I’m thinking if mooring at Sawley for first year getting used to boat life and practicing my boat skills so would do this stretch with my L plates on lol

Not very far. Not sure if there’s winding, I’d be surprised if there isn’t. You could ‘levels permitting’, ‘do’ the Trent and venture up the Soar. Or even down to Nottingham.

37 minutes ago, fergyguy said:

The Canal is only suitable for anorexic boats once you get near to Burton on Trent.

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Dont bother going the other way just go down to Sawley. For your next trip I suggest going to Nottingham and through to Stoke lock moorings, a lovely spot. 

Then take a cruise up to Cromwell (nicest moorings on the Trent)

several BBQ areas, acres of mowed grass, picnic benches, toilets, showers, water and electric hook up (if you want it). Miles of dog-walks.

Pontoon or against the wall moorings.

Edit to add Pictures 

IMG_20140426_184530.jpg

IMG_20140426_184603.jpg

CAM00013.jpg

CAM00009.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Happy 1

14 minutes ago, fergyguy said:

Sounds like a plan Alan thank you

If (when) you do go up to Cromwell, don't try and get a 'fatty' between the pontoon and the bank, you won't fit.

A 'skinny-tube' slides in easily and we'd often find boats breasted up on the 'outside' and no-one on the inside so we just slipped in nicely.

With the cruiser (14 foot beam) we could just get the bow in between, moor against the wall and still reach the leccy-point on the pontoon.

You can se our width from when we moored just in front of a NB.

NB's also use the wall.

CAM00351.jpg

Cromwell a 25-9-18.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If (when) you do go up to Cromwell, don't try and get a 'fatty' between the pontoon and the bank, you won't fit.

A 'skinny-tube' slides in easily and we'd often find boats breasted up on the 'outside' and no-one on the inside so we just slipped in nicely.

With the cruiser (14 foot beam) we could just get the bow in between, moor against the wall and still reach the leccy-point on the pontoon.

You can se our width from when we moored just in front of a NB.

NB's also use the wall.

CAM00351.jpg

Cromwell a 25-9-18.jpg

Do you go up to Cromwell from Nottingham then? Is that because it’s “up North”? 

I always think that it’s down (stream). 

9 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Do you go up to Cromwell from Nottingham then? Is that because it’s “up North”? 

I always think that it’s down (stream). 

Fair point - yes its downstream but I have always considered North as being 'up'.

I get very confused when folks say "we are going up to London" when it is actually 'down'.

You are right - probably better to say up or downstream to avoid confusion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2020 at 13:17, mrsmelly said:

Dont bother going the other way just go down to Sawley. For your next trip I suggest going to Nottingham and through to Stoke lock moorings, a lovely spot. 

Before you go through Nottingham you might like to check the hight of the railway bridge as a friend cant get through, his boat is just a couple of inches too high.

Thanks for advise ref air draft mrsmelly I’ve checked the boat and shes 6 feet 6 inch air draft with a full water tank so I’ll always have to remember that could be a little more if only got part of a tank as she’s  that draft at highest point which is at the front and 4 inches less at the rear