West End Park Moorings, March, Old River Nene, Middle Level

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

Due to damage to the council moorings in West End Park in the town of March on the Old River Nene (Middle Levels). The moorings are closed until further notice to allow repairs to take place. Which can not start until the Squatter boats that are moored there are removed. I post a picture of the damage tomorrow night. 

17 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Glad I actually managed to get on that mooring last November -that was the first time I managed that in quite a while  and looks like it may be a while again then. Whats the damage nbfiresprite? Take it the cctv  didnt clock anything.

Picture paints a 1000 words. Happen Tuesday night, Mooring in good condtion that day when I passed. This was how it was the next morning.

1427346979_WestEndParkMoorings.JPG.04a7299abb0f8d56015b4f50f0d21e00.JPG

Not so much 'damage' then (which tends to imply it was deliberate) as a failure of the sheet piling and consequent settlement of the paving behind.

That such a long length has failed at once suggests it was all of marginal stability beforehand, and as soon as the piling moved at one point there was a progressive failure along the whole length.

Cheers for that nbFiresprite. The visitor moorings in March dont seem to survive very well.

I guess the undermining shouldnt be that much of of a surprise judging by the huge number of rats that seem to be living under it. I made sure the doors were always closed after I met a great fat (presumably preggers) one staring back at me from the back deck.

I've passed there on foot quite recently (indeed, i remember admiring that rather distinctive, presumably vintage, boat in the foreground, and I noticed no subsidence then. It must have happened quite suddenly. Luckily there are plenty of moorings on the other side of the town bridge, which i hope are more stable.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I've passed there on foot quite recently (indeed, i remember admiring that rather distinctive, presumably vintage, boat in the foreground, and I noticed no subsidence then. It must have happened quite suddenly. Luckily there are plenty of moorings on the other side of the town bridge, which i hope are more stable.

You mean the 'fake springer' that Foxes built about ten year back. It was ok on Tuesday when I passed in the afternoon, The baton tosser that was moored in the middle for the pasted few weeks, left early the next morning )Before 6.30am). He had been running his boat in gear, late in to the night every night.    

The wooden top narrowboat under the willows trees is the fourth narrowboat built by Foxes. 

Edited by nbfiresprite

1 hour ago, Troyboy said:

That Foxes boat must only be a few yards from where it was launched then .

About 300 yards upstream from the slipway at what is now the March cruising club which was the Charlie Fox started back in the 1950's. Back in 2002 I towed it down the Nene from Wellingborough to Foxes as the it had broken down when the two pot lister engine threw a leg out of bed when it overheated. 

Edited by nbfiresprite

10 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

About 300 yards upstream from the slipway at what is now the March cruising club which was the Charlie Fox started back in the 1950's. Back in 2002 I towed it down the Nene from Wellingborough to Foxes as the it had broken down when the two pot lister engine threw a leg out of bed when it overheated. 

Is Charlie's own boat (Bill Badger?) still about? From memory, it was the only one Fox's ever built with the traditional mid-engined configuration.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Is Charlie's own boat (Bill Badger?) still about? From memory, it was the only one Fox's ever built with the traditional mid-engined configuration.

I seem to recall that boat was for sale at Whilton Marina a couple of years ago . 

• Greenie 1