Water Explorer Website

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

Is there anyone now supporting the Water Explorer website waterexplorer.co.uk ? If so I wonder if they know that as of yesterday evening it's not working. Multiple different errors.

Or is it one of those websites that was set up as a personal hobby and has become too much to look after?

9 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Working today. No navvygator mobile app, my pc isnt easy to carry about in my pocket. 

No, I agree. I just use it to log our journeys, recording mileage and locks. I find it useful.

For sat nav type maps I use Waterway Routes running on Memory Map on my phone. I used to use an old tablet but that got wet and didn't recover!

• 5 months later...

I use Navvygator to record my journeys, but since November my boats movements are no longer updated on the interactive map.

It looks as if the website is no longer maintained.  Does anybody have any IDEAS why my position isn't updating any more ?

Edited by Duck-n-Dive
Corrected typo

50 minutes ago, Duck-n-Dive said:

Does anybody have any odes why my position isn't updating any more ?

John Keats may be able to help he wrote "Ode to a Grecian Urn"

And, was told £55 a week !!

Then of course there was the Ode to boating travel :

There was an indescribable need for travel-
To feel the rush before leaving
And the excitement in arriving.

There was a longing for travel-
To leave the old in search of new,
And find beauty once again upon the return home.

There was a yearning for travel-
To rise each morning without a schedule
And create an itinerary all your own.

There was an indescribable need for travel.
To me, it was freeing and independent,
And a desire that may never go away.

1 hour ago, Duck-n-Dive said:

I use Navvygator to record my journeys, but since November my boats movements are no longer updated on the interactive map.

It looks as if the website is no longer maintained.  Does anybody have any IDEAS why my position isn't updating any more ?

Did you ever work out if your GPS driver had updated itself to be sending GNSS format messages instead of GPS messages?  Navvygator can only handle GPS data, so you might need to switch to a legacy or compatability mode.

Does Navvygator do a realtime update if you fire it up?

Can you upload a GPX file from your phone to create a journey on your account? (You'll need to walk a boatlegth or two to get a valid file, just sitting still with it won't have a different start and endpoint)  This will check your account is all OK on the website, and will be using different GPS hardware than you usally use.

Just now, Duck-n-Dive said:

I can't find any updates to the GPS driver, and I can't get it to run on the phone

Navvygator won't run on the phone, you need a GPX recording app - walking maps etc have them usually, or you can pick one from the play store.  I use the one built into OSMAnd maps.

Finally sorted this.  My update to the GPS for GPS rollover doesn't work.  

The date stamp from my GPS is 7168 days and 1 hour behind the clock.

I cannot get support for the GPS as it is now obsolete, so until I can justify buying another one, I will polish up my (very) rusty programming skills and write a program for correcting the data files before uploading.

So, basically I have gone back to the year 2000,

I would have preferred 1978 myself.

5 minutes ago, Duck-n-Dive said:

Finally sorted this.  My update to the GPS for GPS rollover doesn't work.  

The date stamp from my GPS is 7168 days and 1 hour behind the clock.

I cannot get support for the GPS as it is now obsolete, so until I can justify buying another one, I will polish up my (very) rusty programming skills and write a program for correcting the data files before uploading.

So, basically I have gone back to the year 2000,

I would have preferred 1978 myself.

About a year ago there was a lot of discussion about this problem on a walking forum.

My GPS was not affected so I didn't take a huge amount of notice, but I seem to remember that it was 'old non-updated software' and could no longer be updated - From memory it was Garmin GPS devices that were worse affected.

It is something to do with the memory capacity and they ran out of capacity for the date and location data in March / April 2019.

Edit to add :

Had a look and there is a fair bit about it on Google :

Do you own any GPS devices or use equipment that relies on GPS to function? If so, now is probably a good time to check whether or not those products are protected against the GPS Week Number Rollover issue — a sort of mini Y2K Bug for GPS receivers that will come into effect from April 6th this year.

The bug isn’t disastrous and should only hit a small number of GPS devices, but for those impacted the results could be severe, resetting the receiver’s time and corrupting its location data. Only older devices are at risk, though, and if you’re just using a commercial device the fix is quite simple: just check that its software is up to date.

The rollover issue itself is caused by the fact that GPS systems count weeks using a ten-bit parameter. This means they start counting at week zero and reset when they hit week 1,024. The first count (or “GPS epoch”) started on January 6th, 1980, and the first reset took place on August 21st, 1999. That means the next one is due April 6th this year.

When the rollover happens older devices may reset their date, potentially corrupting navigation data and throwing off location estimates. GPS relies on precise timing data to operate, and each nanosecond the clock is out translates into a foot of location error.

All this is why some have compared the issue to a sort of mini Millennium, or, Y2K Bug for GPS receivers that will come into affect from April 6th this year. Bug. That was also caused by a number rollover problem, as a lot of early software recorded the year using a two-digit code (“78” for “1978” and so on) that reset when clocks hit the year 2000.

However, it’s worth noting that just because the next GPS week reset is scheduled for April 6th, actual errors might kick in later. As telecoms testing company Spirent noted in a blog post, some devices may have restarted their week count later — for example, when the manufacturer compiled their firmware. As Spirent’s Guy Buesnel writes, that means “the impact won’t necessarily be felt on rollover day itself. In fact, it’s much more likely that an affected receiver won’t start outputting erroneous data until long after the 6 April 2019.”

Yes, the week counter is only 10 bits long, so it rolls over after 7168 days. 

This happened to the majority of GPS's in April last year.  I updated my firmware and the only immediate effect was the GPS ignoring daylight saving.  However my GPS was one of the few that started their "week counter" late, so my GPS didn't get the date wrong until October 2019.  No further firmware updates are now available as it is obsolete.

On 07/07/2020 at 15:50, Duck-n-Dive said:

I've tried uploading a file from my hiking application, but I get the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

I have found that you get this error if you try to upload a gpx file for a journey that hasn't gone through any canal waypoints such as a bridge, a lock, winding hole, junction etc.

14 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

I have found that you get this error if you try to upload a gpx file for a journey that hasn't gone through any canal waypoints such as a bridge, a lock, winding hole, junction etc.

This file was from a hike mapping app from a walk along the canal, so the waypoints are probably random, rather than at specific canal locations.