Saving photos on android phone

jenevers

Featured Posts

Back it up to a hard drive through a laptop.

You can either do this by removing the microSD card(where your photos are probably stored)and using a card reader usb, or just connecting your phone using a USB cable. 

Photo files are usually contained in a file called DCIM.....or PHOTOS!!

My android phone automatically backs up photos on my PC through Google - well, doesn't back up so much as is synched so the information on my phone is also on the PC. Then there is a constant back up going on from my PC to an external hard drive. So the photos are backed up as part of that.

• Greenie 1

You can enable automatic backup to Google cloud storage which if I remember correctly is on by default.  Sign in to your Google account online and look in Google Photos to see if they have been backed up.

If you have an Amazon Prime subscription, you get free access to Amazon Photos, which automatically backs up any photos you take on your phone or have backed up on your computer. Unlike Google, it saves the photos on their original resolution.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

My Samsung phone automatically backs up photos and other data using the Samsung Cloud app. Any Samsung phone or tablet user gets 15GB storage for free (of which I have used about half). I think you can pay for more.

When I got a new phone it was easy to download the photos, files, bookmarks etc from the cloud to the new phone.

11 hours ago, Rob-M said:

You can enable automatic backup to Google cloud storage which if I remember correctly is on by default.  Sign in to your Google account online and look in Google Photos to see if they have been backed up.

Yes, this.   If you haven't got a Google account they are very easy to set up. You'll end up with a .gmail.com email address which you can then use to log in to Google on your PC or any other Google friendly device. Once you've done that any photo you take will be uploaded to a cloud based server and be accessible via the Google photo App from any device you log in to, including a future new phone or tablet as long as it's Android based.

Having just set up a new laptop for my 84 cyr old cyber-grannie mother-in-law I noted that Microsoft have introduced an 'S' Mode for Windows 10 which dresses itself as a security measure, but seems more about keeping Google Apps and Google Chrome off it. You'll have to use the Edge browser, but set Google as your home page and log in, or you can switch S Mode off and load Chrome. I'm not sure how wise that is to do, so chose not to. 

37 minutes ago, twbm said:

Yes, this.   If you haven't got a Google account they are very easy to set up. You'll end up with a .gmail.com email address which you can then use to log in to Google on your PC or any other Google friendly device. Once you've done that any photo you take will be uploaded to a cloud based server and be accessible via the Google photo App from any device you log in to, including a future new phone or tablet as long as it's Android based.

Having just set up a new laptop for my 84 cyr old cyber-grannie mother-in-law I noted that Microsoft have introduced an 'S' Mode for Windows 10 which dresses itself as a security measure, but seems more about keeping Google Apps and Google Chrome off it. You'll have to use the Edge browser, but set Google as your home page and log in, or you can switch S Mode off and load Chrome. I'm not sure how wise that is to do, so chose not to. 

Or wait a few weeks for the release of Microsoft Chromium Edge.

On 08/01/2020 at 18:37, twbm said:

Even if you turn it off being Microsoft it will turn it back on when you click something else or when the machine updates. Microsoft knows best and it is not your computer.

On 08/01/2020 at 18:37, twbm said:

If you haven't got a Google account they are very easy to set up. You'll end up with a .gmail.com email address which you can then use to log in to Google on your PC or any other Google friendly device. Once you've done that any photo you take will be uploaded to a cloud based server and be accessible via the Google photo App from any device you log in to, including a future new phone or tablet as long as it's Android based.

The Google Photos app is also available for iphones, so access is not limited to android devices.

Edited by peter n

22 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

You may also want to adjust the config of your phone so that the camera automatically stores photos to the micro-SD drive, rather than to the internal memory. It's quite easy to use up all the memory on my Samsung, I find. 

I’m afraid that’s gobbledigook to me?

11 hours ago, jenevers said:

I’m afraid that’s gobbledigook to me?

<translation mode on>

Smartphones have limited internal memory. Most phones will accept additional storage space in the form of a separate micro SD card (see pic). To free up the internal memory, files such as photos and music can be stored on the micro SD card.

Photos can be automatically stored on the micro SD card at the time they are taken with the phone camera, and/or uploaded to the internet.

To do this may require a setting on the phone to be changed.

<translation mode off>

ETA. There may be restrictions on size and type of card your phone will accept.Check the instruction manual before buying one.

download (1).jpeg

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

11 hours ago, rusty69 said:

<translation mode on>

Smartphones have limited internal memory. Most phones will accept additional storage space in the form of a separate micro SD card (see pic). To free up the internal memory, files such as photos and music can be stored on the micro SD card.

Photos can be automatically stored on the micro SD card at the time they are taken with the phone camera, and/or uploaded to the internet.

To do this may require a setting on the phone to be changed.

<translation mode off>

ETA. There may be restrictions on size and type of card your phone will accept.Check the instruction manual before buying one.

download (1).jpeg

Thanks!  It's really rather odd trying to work out which apps allow you to store data on the SD card, and which don't.

• Happy 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, I ve got an android, and have taken a photo

Now  I want to send it to someone, I have gmail account.

I have his email and mobile.

What now?

I have two slots on phone.

My photos are in google play, I am updating Google Photos now!

Edited by LadyG

My Samsung android phone has a Gallery app to view photos. Open the photo in question and at the bottom of the screen there is an icon to share the image. Click on that and a range of apps which can be used come up (email, whatsapp, picture message etc . - probably depends what apps you have on your phone). Select your app, add caption/covering text if required and away you go.

• Greenie 1

err, I haven't usually been interested in apps.

I know these phones are actually computers, and no doubt wonderful.

PS I inherited a smart TV, it is in a box. what use is it? I watch  youtube and racing.

Edited by LadyG