Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
blackrose

Who carries gas bottles to/from your boat?

Featured Posts

And some people bang on about how bad sexism is in this country! Maybe they need to travel and see a bit more of the world.

They could have been sensible and bought a small folding trolley I suppose. Mine copes with full 13kg gas bottles.

• Greenie 1

Some years ago I was in Afghanistan and was surprised that the women always walked a couple of steps behind their man, I was told it was a traditional cultural requirement and a religious requirement.

A few years later I was again in Afghanistan and noticed the women now walked a couple of steps in front of the men, I asked my host if there was a relaxation in the religion or if 'equality' was starting to take hold in the country.

His reply was quite enlightening "no, there were many millions of land-mines laid during the war and no one knows exactly where they are".

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Some years ago I was in Afghanistan and was surprised that the women always walked a couple of steps behind their man, I was told it was a traditional cultural requirement and a religious requirement.

A few years later I was again in Afghanistan and noticed the women now walked a couple of steps in front of the men, I asked my host if there was a relaxation in the religion or if 'equality' was starting to take hold in the country.

His reply was quite enlightening "no, there were many millions of land-mines laid during the war and no one knows exactly where they are".

Would that happen to be one of those occasions when life threatening situations means a relaxation of normally expected observance for the men cowards/hypocrites.

Edited by Higgs

People often question why some third world (or "developing countries" if you want to be more PC), are in such a terrible economic state. They cite hangovers of colonialism, no access to first world export markets, corruption, etc, but actually the answer is quite simple. The women are doing all the work so the other half the population are just sitting on their arses and aren't economically active!

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, blackrose said:

third world (or "developing countries" if you want to be more PC),

If you want to be in the 21st century, try "less developed countries".

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Whrn I first that joke it was about the mines left behind by the Japanese WWII occupation of the Philippines.

• Greenie 1

Memsahib has me carry our gas bottles - I'd previously never considered that this was because the wharf might be mined! :(

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Memsahib has me carry our gas bottles - I'd previously never considered that this was because the wharf might be mined! :(

You've led a sheltered life in the Grey Funnel Line.

50 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

My butler does it ?

The bottler did it? 

r.png

Edited by rusty69

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

People often question why some third world (or "developing countries" if you want to be more PC), are in such a terrible economic state. They cite hangovers of colonialism, no access to first world export markets, corruption, etc, but actually the answer is quite simple. The women are doing all the work so the other half the population are just sitting on their arses and aren't economically active!

its other way around, in most third world countries men do most of the work outside and women have to take care of home.

This video is a clearly a comedy skit...

I used to live in a mobile home on the bank of the Thames and it was my job to carry the 19kg bottles, I lost that job when when Shell  buried huge tanks next to the river and it all got piped.

Regrettably usually Mrs S. Its highly embarrassing. Gas bottle is a killer.
I can ride a race a bike across mountains for hours on end, but I am not allowed to carry stuff. At airports I cant pick up our bags. She ends up dragging my bike case around when I race abroad.

Work related injury and osteoporosis .

I couldnt move for three days last week, I got the toaster out of a low cupboard in the campervan... 

Joke was once she had got my bike out we could go out.

Why do people struggle carrying a gas bottle? Even on a bumpy towpath, it is far easier to use a small folding sack truck, which is what we used.

1 minute ago, David Schweizer said:

Why do people struggle carrying a gas bottle? Even on a bumpy towpath, it is far easier to use a small folding sack truck, which is what we used.

Chuck 'em in the cut with a rope on, they float, trail down to the boat in the water.

• Greenie 1

Fuel boat "Halsall" does it for my 4 bottles whilst I look on. Fabulous service.  Passing by approximately every 2 weeks. Happy to fill my diesel tank when I'm not there, by arrangement.

42 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Fuel boat "Halsall" does it for my 4 bottles whilst I look on. Fabulous service.  Passing by approximately every 2 weeks. Happy to fill my diesel tank when I'm not there, by arrangement.

Fuel boats (as with some other boating services) are a resource to be treasured...

More boaters of any variety should be aware of what's available and use the resources when they can - else they'll disappear and that would be more than a great shame..

57 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Fuel boats (as with some other boating services) are a resource to be treasured...

More boaters of any variety should be aware of what's available and use the resources when they can - else they'll disappear and that would be more than a great shame..

After spending a good few years on the Llan without a fuel boat, I don't think I will ever take them for granted, fantastic service