New batteries overheating when on charge

Eloisec93

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Bod said:

Your stated method of use, is very different to the instructions shown in the photograph.

Is the photo of the sensor the actual one you have?

Bod

Oh yes well spotted!

I don't know if mine is the same as that mine is a black and red wire with the metal ring.

Perhaps mine isn't meant to sit underneath the battery and actually on the negative of the battery?

I don't really know much about electrics only basic knowledge how will I know if it's the same as the picture???

The metal ring usually is bolted to a battery terminal.

Find/read the installation instructions for the equipment you have, and follow them to the letter.

As you have different coloured wires, it may be important which wire goes to which input terminal on the charger.

Put up a clear photo of your charger then we might be able to help better.

Bod

5 minutes ago, Bod said:

The metal ring usually is bolted to a battery terminal.

Find/read the installation instructions for the equipment you have, and follow them to the letter.

As you have different coloured wires, it may be important which wire goes to which input terminal on the charger.

Put up a clear photo of your charger then we might be able to help better.

Bod

We have a charge control/battery charger display by sterling power. This turns on when we hook up to the shore power to charge the batteries. It then beeps after about 10mins saying batteries over temp.

We also have solar panels and a different display for the solar 

In the picture is the Stirling power display one  

Also I found the picture of the temperature sensor on the internet on the sterling power website 

https://sterling-power.com/search?type=product&q=Temperature+sensor

Screenshot_20200104_210334_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

There is a cable going away from the charger controller shown in the picture, where does this go?

A photo of what is on the end of this cable will be most helpful.

Sterling are a company that still exists, and can be very helpful.  BUT you will need to know EXACTLY what your product (charger) is.

Bod

You need to disconnect the wires, at least one of them that are connected in the controller from the thermistor. Its twin core cable, not polarised its just a thermistor on the end that must be clamped to the battery connection when its in use.

I'm sure that it will be in the instructions. If you have none, look on the web or phone Sterling, Charles is a very helpful guy.

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

You need to disconnect the wires, at least one of them that are connected in the controller from the thermistor. Its twin core cable, not polarised its just a thermistor on the end that must be clamped to the battery connection when its in use.

I'm sure that it will be in the instructions. If you have none, look on the web or phone Sterling, Charles is a very helpful guy.

Only when you know what you are talking about!

Fools are not tolerated! (By reputation only not personal experience)

Which is why you need to be exactly sure which charger you have, not just the remote display.

Bod

3 hours ago, Bod said:

Only when you know what you are talking about!

Fools are not tolerated! (By reputation only not personal experience)

Which is why you need to be exactly sure which charger you have, not just the remote display.

Bod

I got short shift from him but he did tell me what I wanted to know

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I got short shift from him...

Most people do, even if you DO know what you’re talking about. 

Sometimes you can get lucky and someone else answers the phone ;)