South Wales stop locks

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Wales was never blessed with many stop locks - the canals didn't tend to join each other.

However there is still a narrows for one at Pontymoile where the Brecon and Abergavenny joins the Monmouth, and there was one at Abercynon where the Aberdare Canal joined the Glamorgan Canal.

Simple question, does anyone know, or is less than certain but thinks it probable, whether either or both of these stop locks had a change in level?

I did some research on the Abercynon one many years ago, but had to hand over the detailed study as I got appendicitis and couldn't complete the work (about 1997)

Edited by magpie patrick

Interesting question. It would seem logical to have a change of level, if the earlier company did not want to loose water to the newer scheme. But then a question of who pays for water is one to needs to be posed.

Have you thought of running  this question past the RCHS waterways history group. The author of the Glamorganshire Canal books may well respond.

21 hours ago, Heartland said:

Interesting question. It would seem logical to have a change of level, if the earlier company did not want to loose water to the newer scheme. But then a question of who pays for water is one to needs to be posed.

Have you thought of running  this question past the RCHS waterways history group. The author of the Glamorganshire Canal books may well respond.

Thanks

I really ought to sign up to the WHG! 

In both instances the "new" canal was at it's lowest level, so had no more use for the water, but also in both cases the "new" canal ran for some distance on sidelong ground where a burst was more likely, as both the Aberdare and the B&A made use of the climb of the canals they joined. The Aberdare Canal joined approximately half way up Abercynon Locks, a flight of (I think) 16 locks that included 7 staircase pairs. The lower half of this flight had climbed the side of the Cynon Valley meaning the Aberdare Canal needed only two locks to reach Aberdare.