Levelling

Featured Posts

We've just put a deposit on a boat and I can foresee a replacement kitchen in my future.

My question is, how do you ensure that your cabinets are level on a narrowboat? Given that the boat isn't necessarily level, a spirit level's presumably no good, unless you take a level from the floor and mark that on the spirit level maybe...

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If they look right they are right and remember to have the draining board forward of the sink. Every time you walk rond or sit in a different chair your trim will change

As will varying amounts in the water, fuel and (if you have one) toilet pump out tank.

40 minutes ago, Galilee said:

We've just put a deposit on a boat and I can foresee a replacement kitchen in my future.

My question is, how do you ensure that your cabinets are level on a narrowboat? Given that the boat isn't necessarily level, a spirit level's presumably no good, unless you take a level from the floor and mark that on the spirit level maybe...

Thanks.

I imagine all you can do is use the floor as 'true level' and work from that!

You need to use a large carpenters square. Put the short edge on the floor and place the long edge vertically and adjust your unit to sit against it. Your units won’t be ‘level ‘  in the true sense of the word but will look perfectly ok 

I have memories of working on a hospital refurb in a mining area. What looked like a normal wing when we put a level on it it was 300mm out over 30m in one direction and 75mm over 7.5m in the other. We had to set every thing out from the floor and window cills. We did put the nurses station in level because we didn't want pens etc rolling onto the floor. All looked good until the guys installed the artwork using a spirit level - needless to say the pictures all looked as if they were on the piss!! They had to come back and refix them. The wing has now been demolished thus giving me membership of the rubble club - an architect/designer who has designed and had a building constructed and subsequently demolished. Working on a boat was easy compared to this job.

As others have said a large square and work from the floor and use of your 'mark one eyeball' If you're thinking of fitting a washing machine incorporate some form of restraint for the feet. If you don't you'll forever be pushing it back into it's proper place.

12 hours ago, plato said:

You need to use a large carpenters square. Put the short edge on the floor and place the long edge vertically and adjust your unit to sit against it. Your units won’t be ‘level ‘  in the true sense of the word but will look perfectly ok 

Thanks all, this is what I figured :)

11 minutes ago, Galilee said:

Thanks all, this is what I figured :)

But can I suggest that you make some provision for levelling the cooker after the initial fit especially if you are fitting out on the hard, .

Its really annoying baking cakes that are twice as thick at one side and frying eggs in a sloping frying pan is like trying to push water uphill.

• Happy 1

9 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

But can I suggest that you make some provision for levelling the cooker after the initial fit especially if you are fitting out on the hard, .

Its really annoying baking cakes that are twice as thick at one side and frying eggs in a sloping frying pan is like trying to push water uphill.

Just half cook the cake and then turn the boat around - simples !!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

On 06/01/2020 at 17:17, Onewheeler said:

Don't forget to fit the sink and drainer so that they empty at any normal trim.

One of the few mistakes made by our boat fitter. Easily sorted by one a Joseph Joseph drainer. 

B1B60334-38F9-4603-8FDA-D4F2838967BE.jpeg

I do my washing in the sink and use the corrugations in the drainer as a rubbing board for cuffs, collars and socks and things, so it needs to be around the right way to drain into the sink. I do have a homemade rubbing board for when I do a mega wash, but for small quick one offs use the drainer, Initial rinsing is by swirling the garment around in the river by hand, but only when there's a bit of a current running so cleaner and at night so there's less chance of horrible polutants chucked in the river by neighbour boaters contaminating my washing also so folk don't see me doing it because the only laugh and think I'm nuts.  Second rinse is in a bowl under the tap outside to save a mess onboard. I then wring them by hand and peg em out on the line. When dry in the winter I drape them around the stove to make sure they're dry.  If in winter the river is frozen and the tap outside is frozen up I don't  bother doing any washing at all.   I just stink, and stink and stink until a thaw arrives.  :closedeyes:

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

I do my washing in the sink and use the corrugations in the drainer as a rubbing board for cuffs, collars and socks and things, so it needs to be around the right way to drain into the sink. I do have a homemade rubbing board for when I do a mega wash, but for small quick one offs use the drainer, Initial rinsing is by swirling the garment around in the river by hand, but only when there's a bit of a current running so cleaner and at night so there's less chance of horrible polutants chucked in the river by neighbour boaters contaminating my washing also so folk don't see me doing it because the only laugh and think I'm nuts.  Second rinse is in a bowl under the tap outside to save a mess onboard. I then wring them by hand and peg em out on the line. When dry in the winter I drape them around the stove to make sure they're dry.  If in winter the river is frozen and the tap outside is frozen up I don't  bother doing any washing at all.   I just stink, and stink and stink until a thaw arrives.  :closedeyes:

Way too much information.

To each their own, I put mine in the washer.

Wheeze.  There is an even easier way to do your washing not requiring much effort at all. Here's how.

Next time you go to a motor car car wash to wash your car take your dirty washing with you.  Drape it about all over the car, dangle socks and knickers from the aerial and drive through the wash. On emerging your washing will be washed, rinsed and half dried by the warm blower.  Warning!!!  Its best to lash the washing down with string or the roller brushes might sweep it all away.  :closedeyes: