NEWBY

bizzard

Featured Posts

Much more interesting than all that old tosh in the Newbie thread.   Eric Newby the awether :detective: A very entertaining writer, an ex sapper during WW2, captured by the Italians, imprisoned in a POW camp where he met his future wife Wanda who was a nurse there. The local underground risked life and limb trying to get him to escape but he didn't want to go, he liked it there, ''Wanda'' no doubt.  He wrote a book about it called ''Love and war in the Appennines'' very funny and witty.  His other books include, ''A short walk in the Hindu Kush''.  ''Bombay to Callcutta in an Ambasador taxi''.  ''A trip down the Ganges'' in an old ships lifeboat with Wanda. ''Cycling around Southern Ireland.. with Wanda.  All very funny and witty and true. 

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I read that one many years ago. It was good. I got it from a charity shop for 50p. Think he wrote for a paper too, or was he a photographer?

Just checked on Ebay. They're all there, paperbacks, all around £2 buy it now,

Never lend a book if you don't want to lose it. If I do lend one I lie and say I MUST have it back because it was a birthday or Christmas presant from someone. It pays to write on the first fly page to make the lie authentic., that the borrower will see, something like.   To my dear Bizzard on your 103rd birthday, from your loving auntie Ethel xxxxx.   PS New spectacles to follow.   It usually works.

• Happy 1

She did the Monkey gland elixir thing 52 years ago. Since then she's been very active has Auntie Ethel. Takes her excercise leaping about and swinging from tree to tree in the park and leaping from lampost to lampost in the street with her pinny on and eats nothing but well matured bananas and windfall apples. Fur has grown on te palms of her hands. Will become a Yeti a little later I think,  not just yeti though.

Edited by bizzard

6 hours ago, bizzard said:

She did the Monkey gland elixir thing 52 years ago. Since then she's been very active has Auntie Ethel. Takes her excercise leaping about and swinging from tree to tree in the park and leaping from lampost to lampost in the street with her pinny on and eats nothing but well matured bananas and windfall apples. Fur has grown on te palms of her hands. Will become a Yeti a little later I think,  not just yeti though.

A bit wild for an 85 year old - but 1968 was a "different" sort of year as I recall.