cant get engine to run.. HELP !!

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Its the Easystart thing that gets me. For someone thats probably not used it before will almost certainly have squirted far too much into the air intake which would as I mentioned earlier baulked and stopped the engine dead instantly from turning over as soon as the starter is operated. And if it hadn't it should have tried to start on it, even momentarily run on it.

Same here. If the engine does not respond to East Start being sprayed in, there must either be no compression, or the OP is not spraying it in the right hole. 

He mentioned a couple of times he is using a cheaper rip-off version of Easy Start, not the real thing. This is quite likely the explanation. If he is spraying say WD40 in the air intake, it definitely still won't start. 

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes, and maybe now the top ring is in pieces or the top land on the piston(s) are missing.

Yes, possibly, but years and years ago I had to use it a lot on really old diesel engined trucks and FX3 taxi's when called out in emergency in very cold winters to get them started in a hurry, and that never happened, probably because I only gave them a whiff.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Same here. If the engine does not respond to East Start being sprayed in, there must either be no compression, or the OP is not spraying it in the right hole. 

He mentioned a couple of times he is using a cheaper rip-off version of Easy Start, not the real thing. This is quite likely the explanation. If he is spraying say WD40 in the air intake, it definitely still won't start. 

Yes, maybe, but you can't mistake the smell of Ether. Crosser could you smell strong ether.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Yes, possibly, but years and years ago I had to use it a lot on really old diesel engined trucks and FX3 taxi's when called out in emergency in very cold winters to get them started in a hurry, and that never happened, probably because I only gave them a whiff.

Likewise but on first start of the year on hire boats. Its all in how its used.

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Likewise but on first start of the year on hire boats. Its all in how its used.

Little whiffs of it while the engines cranking over and as  it gains momentum more and more and bursts into life. Not quirt a lot in stationary and then try to start it.

20 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Little whiffs of it while the engines cranking over and as  it gains momentum more and more and bursts into life. Not quirt a lot in stationary and then try to start it.

So requires two people if the starter key/button is not within reach of the air intake.

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So requires two people if the starter key/button is not within reach of the air intake.

It would, or solo try it while stationary with a tiny whiff to start with. Many vehicles had push button starter solenoids or pull wire switch starter motors under the bonnet and with a brick on the throttle pedal DIY.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Otherwise known as a "dead man's shoe" around here!

I did have an old Perkins P6 in a big van start up backwards once. That is terrifying.  Air's sucked in the exhaust pipe, exhaust comes out of the air intake, governer doesn't work, forward gears send you backwards and reverse forward, engine screams. I managed to stall it up against a wall. Can't remember if I used Easystart.

17 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I did have an old Perkins P6 in a big van start up backwards once. That is terrifying.  Air's sucked in the exhaust pipe, exhaust comes out of the air intake, governer doesn't work, forward gears send you backwards and reverse forward, engine screams. I managed to stall it up against a wall. Can't remember if I used Easystart.

I passed a Transit van on the hard shoulder of the M25 last year, with the engine running away. HUGE plume of grey smoke from the exhaust I could see as I approached, plus more smoke gushing out the front wheel arches. Could hear it screaming from inside the cab of my comfy van with all the windows shut as I passed. Two blokes standing on the hard shoulder about 50ft away, looking panickily at it. 

I'd have stood even further away....

Was most impressive.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

When My Rangerover wouldn't start the AA man sprayed brake Cleaner in and started it up, New heaters needed

9 hours ago, bizzard said:

It would, or solo try it while stationary with a tiny whiff to start with. Many vehicles had push button starter solenoids or pull wire switch starter motors under the bonnet and with a brick on the throttle pedal DIY.

My uncle had a Transit with a York engine and the only way to start it from cold, summer or winter, was with ether.  So it was fitted an under bonnet starter button and a cable-operated fuel control  so it required only one person.   Even them it required a bit of juggling to operate the hand-accelerator, ether spray and starter button all at much the same time.

20 minutes ago, Tacet said:

My uncle had a Transit with a York engine and the only way to start it from cold, summer or winter, was with ether.  So it was fitted an under bonnet starter button and a cable-operated fuel control  so it required only one person.   Even them it required a bit of juggling to operate the hand-accelerator, ether spray and starter button all at much the same time.

Our Brucker Capsules Offshore were arranged the other way round with an ether injection systems that was cable operated and the instructions was one shot before operating the starter. 

Capture.JPG

9 hours ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Recap

Engine turning well with new batery

Compression established

plugs working fine

No smoke with easy start.

Is the exhaust blocked?

Have you tried the palm of your hand over the air intake whilst cranking the engine test yet?

hi again....      quick update...    put my hand over air intake and sucks like mad on my palm and alot of pressure if i do the same on the exhaust...  have a trickle of fuel at injector unions..  i also put new fuel filter on just incase...   the only thing i havnt done is check the injectors them selves so i think that will be my next check..   also done a complete oil change from the sump plug as i wanted to see if there was any metal particles that would tell me there was something major going on but all ok..  it must be the injectors as its the only thing i havnt checked...   if theres nothing from any of them then i think it might be time to get the injector pump rebuilt...     ive worked with petrol engines for years and never been as stumped as i have with this little one...   but i will get there in the end...      thanks again for all your advice and humour...

Before you do that, take off all 4 injector pipes from the injectors, put the stop lever to "stop", and crank the engine a little. You should get no diesel from any pipe.

Then put the stop lever all the way over to "run"and crank for 10 seconds. Do you get fuel running out? If not I would suspect that the lift pump has ruptured its diaphragm. That could be why you had an over full sump , its been dumping fuel into it.

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Before you do that, take off all 4 injector pipes from the injectors, put the stop lever to "stop", and crank the engine a little. You should get no diesel from any pipe.

Then put the stop lever all the way over to "run"and crank for 10 seconds. Do you get fuel running out? If not I would suspect that the lift pump has ruptured its diaphragm. That could be why you had an over full sump , its been dumping fuel into it.

Nice one Sam.

i have tried that and it does work,  i have ordered an electric pump to bypass the manual pump but will have to wait for it to arrive... when i put the new fuel filter on i used the lever on the side of the pump to get fuel back up and worked ok and filled the filter up quite quickly.

12 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

But why would it not fire when using Easy-Start ?