cant get engine to run.. HELP !!

Featured Posts

update !!    pulled the dipstick to check oil level again and its sky high and feels contaminated, think it might be diesel...  so tomorrow going to drain the oil and see if diesel is getting in the oil somehow...      lift pump is only place it can get in the oil i think...     

4 hours ago, crosser said:

i used a cheapy easystart so might just be rubbish....  yes has a normal pump then then the high pressure injector pump...  

Ah, so not the Real Thing. 

One mystery probably solved anyway!

Try proper, branded “Ezy Start”. 

The water droplets on the dipstick are very likely condensation, highly unlikely to be anything to worry about. 

The build up of diesel in the oil if from the lift pump may have something to do with your starting problem but if not it can only be a failed timing belt/chain/gear - not familiar with the engine but it must have one of these.

Oil can cling to the dipstick and give misleading results.

Pull dipstick, wipe, re-insert and remove and check, wipe again and repeat putting dipstick in 90 degrees rotated (if possible), check again.

Smell dipstick!

Does the lift pump have a priming lever? 

..................Dave

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah, so not the Real Thing. 

One mystery probably solved anyway!

Try proper, branded “Ezy Start”. 

Having just checked, its not called "Ezy Start" as I thought, its "Easy Start"!

793797?w=637&h=403

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

793797?w=637&h=403

Don't use that on your engines, its not suitable for use on engines over 18 years old.

...................Dave

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

793797?w=637&h=403

Keep up at the front there. I mentioned that in post 40.  All the black cab drivers with FX3 taxi's in Barkingside bought it all up long ago.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Keep up at the front there. I mentioned that in post 40.  All the black cab drivers with FX3 taxi's in Barkingside bought it all up long ago.

Sorry, I obvs inhaled too much of it trying to get up this morning...

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No personal experience but I was told by a man in the pub it can help you get up morning, noon and night.

Or.  Better to remain silent and be thought to look a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't know, I've never been able to get my mouth open wide enough to swallow the can.

You're doing it wrong!!!

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Or.  Better to remain silent and be thought to look a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Bizzard is doing it right ....     :giggles:

Back to the subject gentlemen...

I wouldn't get too bogged down with diesel dilution at this stage (I don't mean ignore it's cause and long term effect. Volvo response when you take a current model V90 in with high oil level is to suck some out, reset the monitoring software and send you on your way.

Have you taken the valve gear cover off to observe what the valve gear is doing.

Edited by Slim

Anyway crossover have you removed the valve cover to make sure no valves are stuck open, check gaps with feeler gauge, they won't be open much when they should be closed because the pistons will have punched them almost shut but open enough to destroy compression. They may have been so stuck that the pistons are damaged or valves bent. Also to check the de-compression mechanism hasn't jammed, usually a cam arrangment working on the exhaust valve rockers.   Can rain water enter the air intake somehow through floorboards if you have a cruiser deck.

Edited by bizzard

Agree with Sam owner needs help not to start stripping this down,if there is some fuel coming out the pipes on turning over the engine it’s unlikely to be the valve gear.I would remove the air cleaned and put hands over intake while turning over on starter and see if there is any suction,then bleed and check fuel flow from tank to pump. I as well think owner needs assistance

19 minutes ago, chevron said:

Agree with Sam owner needs help not to start stripping this down,if there is some fuel coming out the pipes on turning over the engine it’s unlikely to be the valve gear.I would remove the air cleaned and put hands over intake while turning over on starter and see if there is any suction,then bleed and check fuel flow from tank to pump. I as well think owner needs assistance

I would have offered days ago but its too far from Reading now we have sold the boat. There must be someone knowledgable who is local.

Its the Easystart thing that gets me. For someone thats probably not used it before will almost certainly have squirted far too much into the air intake which would as I mentioned earlier baulked and stopped the engine dead instantly from turning over as soon as the starter is operated. And if it hadn't it should have tried to start on it, even momentarily run on it.

17 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Its the Easystart thing that gets me. For someone thats probably not used it before will almost certainly have squirted far too much into the air intake which would as I mentioned earlier baulked and stopped the engine dead instantly from turning over as soon as the starter is operated. And if it hadn't it should have tried to start on it, even momentarily run on it.

Yes, and maybe now the top ring is in pieces or the top land on the piston(s) are missing.