cant get engine to run.. HELP !!

Featured Posts

Before we all go completely "Bodmin" I'd ask the OP to remove one of the injectors, reconnect it pointing up and crank the engine with the pump rack held fullly open and ask the OP to report back with  the result. I rather suspect that there will be nothing or next to nothing. 

Just now, Man 'o Kent said:

Before we all go completely "Bodmin" I'd ask the OP to remove one of the injectors, reconnect it pointing up and crank the engine with the pump rack held fullly open and ask the OP to report back with  the result. I rather suspect that there will be nothing or next to nothing. 

Just cracking open an injector union should, when the engine is turned over, expel a lot more than just a drip of fuel. There should be spurts of diesel all over the place! Is the OP sure he has bled the injection pump?

Much depends it low speed is caused by the battery, undersized cables, cheap and nasty master switch or a worn/stuck brush in the starter.

If its a brush then the only thing that will help is getting the starter off and looking inside to see  what needs doing.

The other stuff apart from the battery is self explanatory but you can try connecting bot cables on the back of the master switch to one terminal as a TEMPORARY test.

Totally at your own risk and if you have some decent jump/connecting leads (not the toys the lkies of Halfords sell) you could pair the start battery with a typical domestic battery to give 24 volts but start it by screwdriver at the starter so you don't put 24 volts through the instruments. If you don't understand what I am on about simply do not even try it.

4 minutes ago, Man 'o Kent said:

I suspect the same. If there is something coming out then somebody has nicked the pistons.

massive problem update !!!    water coming out of the dipstick hole..  think i have a failure somewhere...   thinking headgasket so ive already started to strip it down ready to inspect...  hoping its a gasket and not a cracked head or block...   thankyou everyone for your great advice and help...  will update tomorrow hopefully once the head is off...

5 hours ago, crosser said:

massive problem update !!!    water coming out of the dipstick hole..  think i have a failure somewhere...   thinking headgasket so ive already started to strip it down ready to inspect...  hoping its a gasket and not a cracked head or block...   thankyou everyone for your great advice and help...  will update tomorrow hopefully once the head is off...

Don't start stripping untill other test have been done or you wasting time and money.

someone in past post suggested compression test, This will give you, amoung other things, balance between cylinders, slight deviation normal.

Head gaskit would not give symptom of nothing coming out of exhaust when trying to fire on easy start.

Most important, do not ignor the experts, not me, on here they will save you money and time

5 hours ago, crosser said:

Ok on the face of it this seems impossible, unless your engine has no oil in it whatsoever. Water getting into the sump will gather underneath whatever oil is in there. ISTR you mentioning earlier that the oil level was really high. We all took this to be a diesel leak but this could also have been due to water under the oil. 

As DMR often says, best not to start taking an engine to bits until you have worked out what has failed. The evidence is always there if you look properly. 

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok on the face of it this seems impossible, unless your engine has no oil in it whatsoever. Water getting into the sump will gather underneath whatever oil is in there. ISTR you mentioning earlier that the oil level was really high. We all took this to be a diesel leak but this could also have been due to water under the oil. 

As DMR often says, best not to start taking an engine to bits until you have worked out what has failed. The evidence is always there if you look properly. 

Mike you right with this, if water is coming out of dipstick hole then due to oil floats on water then no oil left.

I would pore in more oil, any just for protection, before carrying out further tests, and drain off the shit in the sump. obviuosly not in that order

Edited by AWETHEAYET

5 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Mike you right with this, if water is coming out of dipstick hole then due to oil floats on water then no oil left.

I would pore in more oil, any just for protection, before carrying out further tests, and drain off the shit in the sump. obviuosly not in that order

The most concerning bit is, where did the oil go? The OP mentions oil level being too high earlier and changing it, refilling with new oil IIRC. Where TF did all that new oil go in such a short time????!!!!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The most concerning bit is, where did the oil go? The OP mentions oil level being too high earlier and changing it, refilling with new oil IIRC. Where TF did all that new oil go in such a short time????!!!!

How many gallons of oil does it take to sink a bote :)

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

This engine is a black hole, no matter what we suggest, it all falls flat. Let him tear it down and find nothing, he will then have to buy a new engine and that will be someone else's problem.

oow Sam ya enthusiasm for this problem sounds like ya glass is halve full, bit like the OP's boat bottom :)

9 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

oow Sam ya enthusiasm for this problem sounds like ya glass is halve full, bit like the OP's boat bottom :)

No, I was trying to be helpful but the OP will not do anything that is suggested. We have gone from a previously OK engine that won't start to head gaskets that blow themselves, cracked blocks, sumps full of water, disappearing oil, ether that won't burn, and still he will not check that fuel is being injected.

Patience exhausted, I have better things to do, like lie on a beach.

Edited by Boater Sam

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

No, I was trying to be helpful but the OP will not do anything that is suggested. We have gone from a previously OK engine that won't start to head gaskets that blow themselves, cracked blocks, sumps full of water, disappearing oil, ether that won't burn, and still he will not check that fuel is being injected.

Patience exhausted, I have better things to do, like lie on a beach.

Have to say, I agree with you fir a change, and I am fast concluding the whole thread has been a wind up.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Have to say, I agree with you fir a change, and I am fast concluding the whole thread has been a wind up.

You may be right, but I was admiring the abilities of someone in a wheel chair to carry out some of the tasked we have asked of him. If he is chair bound and not able to carry out the tests then I admire his ability to use the thread to find out information that others can use on his behalf.

Good luck to the bloke and hope we can all help each other any way we can.

I have posted a request to find out how to print a thread so I can put together a route cause analysis on none running engines to help others because this thread and the contribution of all was a magic class in engineering but requires capturing for future people require help.

54 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Idle bugger :)

How can you tell?

After 50 years of working hard, I reckon I'm entitled.

I'll help anyone but sometimes it all gets too much and the sand and sea beckon so its down to the beach today. I can even get wifi there too!