cant get engine to run.. HELP !!

Featured Posts

ive got a little 3 pot nanni (kubota) engine in my boat and its always started first time until now...   not been started for a couple of months...

ive put a new battery on as thought it might be that then ive tried easy start and still not starting, not even trying..  took glow plugs out and there glowing red ok...

im now lost and wondered if anyone has any advice before booking it in to be looked at...  the engine stop is moving ok on the engine when pulled...  does engine stop just cut the fuel to engine?

thanks

1 minute ago, crosser said:

anyone has any advice before booking it in to be looked at..

Have you got sufficient fuel (at least 3" above the bottom of the tank)

Is the engine turning over 'fast' ?

Are you getting any smoke coming out of the exhaust ? Colour of smoke ?

Air filter clean ?

If a diesel engine has fuel, air and compression it will run.

3 minutes ago, crosser said:

has a full tank of fuel ...  engine is turning as fast as it always has....  no smoke what so ever from exhaust...  im just lost...  

That means no fuel is being injected but why I have no idea, especially if you say the stop is moving but manually make sure it has moved back into the run position.

After that its start the manual bleeding sequence to see how far the fuel gets through the system,

Carefully follow the fuel pipe from the tank into the lift pump, you may find some kind of water trap/primary filter and that may be blocked.

checked filter and all good..   and fuel is pumping out of the pump ok when i use the primer pump...     if it was a fuel issue shouldnt it still fire with the easy start?

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

That means no fuel is being injected but why I have no idea, especially if you say the stop is moving but manually make sure it has moved back into the run position.

After that its start the manual bleeding sequence to see how far the fuel gets through the system,

Carefully follow the fuel pipe from the tank into the lift pump, you may find some kind of water trap/primary filter and that may be blocked.

thanks tony...  i think i will have to go through the system again...  fuel is dripping from an injector union  when turning the engine over , when ive loosened it i mean..

18 minutes ago, crosser said:

checked filter and all good..   and fuel is pumping out of the pump ok when i use the primer pump...     if it was a fuel issue shouldnt it still fire with the easy start?

thanks tony...  i think i will have to go through the system again...  fuel is dripping from an injector union  when turning the engine over , when ive loosened it i mean..

If fuel is dripping out of the injector unions then when tightened it should at least smoke during cranking.

I just wonder if the engine has lost compression and has a discharged battery that is being hidden by the lack of resistance to turning. However it is not normal to suddenly loose all compression at once so easy start should have caused it to at least attempt to fire.

ll very odd - I suppose the valves are going up and down during cranking

i just dont get it either..   lol..    

i gather theres good compression as when i turn the decompression lever the engine spins alot faster...    it was a brand new battery today so cant be that...   do you know if the pull stop cuts the fuel supply to kill the engine?

2 minutes ago, crosser said:

i just dont get it either..   lol..    

i gather theres good compression as when i turn the decompression lever the engine spins alot faster...    it was a brand new battery today so cant be that...   do you know if the pull stop cuts the fuel supply to kill the engine?

It should not because i fit did you would probably have to bleed the engine each time you used it because the pump sucked air in somewhere. What it should do is set the rack in the injector pump to the no fuel position where the elements will just suck fuel in and blow it straight back out into the body of the pump.

Anyway it should have made an attempt to fire on easy start even if no fuel was being injected..

45 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Strange it doesn't fire on easy start

^^^This^^^

Suggests the reason is missing compression. This is a big symptom everyone is ignoring, and only seeing the evidence you want to be there is never as good way to diagnose faults. 

Some sort of drastic mechanical failure affecting all three cylinders is my guess. Busted cam chain would do it, inlet valves not opening.....

Hmmm. I think I would look closely at the stop control. If its injecting fuel then at least a bit of smoke should trickle out of the exhaust. If its injecting watery crap it ought to sound clattery as it tries to compress water. I think I would have a look inside the air filter too, blocked with spiders / mice? After all a bit of easy start should do something After that then I suppose its right back to first principals. as Alan says if its got fuel, air and compression it ought to go. Is it under a cruiser deck or in an engine room?

Is the oil filler right on top of the engine? Can you look down it and confirm the valves (rockers are moving?  Is the pulley big enough to grab hold of and turn the engine over by hand...if so can you feel huge resistance as the cylinders come up to compression?

..................Dave

I think a busted cam chain would mean valves sticking down and engine not turning over but taking the rocker cover off or even having a look inside the oil filler cap to see if anything is moving will tell you something. (edit. crossed with DMR!)

Edited by Bee

We had a long drawn out drama on a one cylinder Kubuta recently.

Changed everything including filters, fuel pump solenoid. Jury rigged fresh fuel etc.

It turned out the hp pump was knackered. Had to get it refurbed.

Ps its easy to check a solenoid. See plenty vids on u tube.

Edited by mark99

6 minutes ago, mark99 said:

We had a long drawn out drama on a one cylinder Kubuta recently.

Changed everything including filters, fuel pump solenoid. Jury rigged fresh fuel etc.

It turned out the hp pump was knackered. Had to get it refurbed.

Ps its easy to check a solenoid. See plenty vids on u tube.

But that should still have fired for a rev or two on easy start. The OP is getting nothing.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No-one has explained yet why it won't run on Ezy-Start....

As has been said more than once, with fuel, air, and compression it will go. So either the air filter is blocked (mouse nest?) or its lost compression. 

Just now, WotEver said:

As has been said more than once, with fuel, air, and compression it will go. 

Exactly. Which is why the Ezy-Start is such a vital clue.

Fuel and air are there with Ezy-Start, so it can only be missing compression. Why there is no compression is the puzzling bit. Yes a mousebird in the air intake is a possibility.

Exacly

A touch too much Easystart should make the engine baulk and stop instantly from turning over if the compression is ok. You mention de compression levers. these usually work on the exhaust valves to hold them open a touch to de compress, usually a cam working on a rocker, are they releasing.