Canal network maps

Jason Peach

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Bod said:

As this is your first boat, and your boating experience seems very small, then getting Canal map books is a good idea, and the best sources have been mentioned.

However your later post, regarding delivery of the boat to Leicestershire, does cause concern, that trip at this time of the year, may not be possible, due to "Stoppages" where the canal is closed for maintenance, or sections are in flood, or river sections that have too strong a flow for a canal boat to cope with.  

Also the idea of having a "Retired Boater" deliver the boat will have insurance difficulties, yours won't cover him, because you are paying him, he will need professional cover, which you need to check is adequate.  Being paid £70 a day to sit out a 2-3 week stoppage is an expensive delivery.

Buy the boat if it's suitable, arrange temporary moorings, and take the trip to Leicestershire in the better weather, and enjoy it. 

Bod 

Considering a "retired boater", the insurance issue has already been raised. However, are you aware of his/her boating competence (and possession of an Inland waterways helmsman's certificate doesn't cut it with me)? There are some retired boaters who are very capable, but others that I wouldn't trust to take a boat across the dock. Unless you know the person involved be careful of willing volunteers!

Howard

Hi Jason, once you get to Selby, and depending on the dates, I would be happy to take KenDorR from Thorne to Selby and help you along to Keadby, I could possibly also stay with you through to Cromwell. I'll message you then you can decide. Also, as has already been said, let us know the type of boat and size.

Kevin

4 hours ago, Bod said:

As this is your first boat, and your boating experience seems very small, then getting Canal map books is a good idea, and the best sources have been mentioned.

However your later post, regarding delivery of the boat to Leicestershire, does cause concern, that trip at this time of the year, may not be possible, due to "Stoppages" where the canal is closed for maintenance, or sections are in flood, or river sections that have too strong a flow for a canal boat to cope with.  

Also the idea of having a "Retired Boater" deliver the boat will have insurance difficulties, yours won't cover him, because you are paying him, he will need professional cover, which you need to check is adequate.  Being paid £70 a day to sit out a 2-3 week stoppage is an expensive delivery.

Buy the boat if it's suitable, arrange temporary moorings, and take the trip to Leicestershire in the better weather, and enjoy it. 

Bod 

Well said

I gather that the OP hasn't bought the boat yet, so there doesn't seem any great urgency.  And as we still don't know the type or size of boat, any advice is going to be a bit theoretical and should be treated as such, except the bits about cruising on rivers that may be in flood (which, trust me, is terrifying) checking for maintenance stoppages (which happen all over the place in winter) and the unreliability of old engines in second hand boats.

Must admit, if it were me, I'd be going for road transport for that trip every time, then get used to the fun of having the boat safely on a canal.

On 07/01/2020 at 09:34, haggis said:

This is not good advice! It is one thing boating for the first time on a calm canal but quite another thing on a tidal fast flowing river. You have obviously never boated on a river if you think you can just moor up and ask advice!

haggis

My first ever trip on a boat I had just bought was single handed in a raging storm on the Thames from Reading to Brentford and I did just that.  That was some 30 years ago and I have since done the same on the Trent and other rivers. Plan to do the same on the Avon/Severn next year.  

Sometime has got to be your first time.

• Unimpressed 1

59 minutes ago, canalboat said:

My first ever trip on a boat I had just bought was single handed in a raging storm on the Thames from Reading to Brentford and I did just that.  That was some 30 years ago and I have since done the same on the Trent and other rivers. Plan to do the same on the Avon/Severn next year.  

Sometime has got to be your first time.

The ouse is a dangerous large tidal river like the trent but maybe worse it also has very large ships on it! Mistakes could be rewarded with a sunk boat or worse a sunk boat and dead owners. If they come to the forum for advice I would not want yours I would want advice from people that had been on that river 

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, peterboat said:

The ouse is a dangerous large tidal river like the trent but maybe worse it also has very large ships on it! Mistakes could be rewarded with a sunk boat or worse a sunk boat and dead owners. If they come to the forum for advice I would not want yours I would want advice from people that had been on that river 

?? The Ouse is tricky but hardy "Dangerous" and there hasn't been any big ships since the rice barges stopped about 10 years ago. I certainly wouldn't suggest a novice do Trent Falls and getting into Selby Lock may be challenging first time, but I've never heard of anyone sinking a boat trying to get into the lock. There's plenty of advice available on this forum, if Jason is determined to go that way. I would also suggest picking a neap tide in good weather and visiting Selby beforehand to see how it's done.

19 hours ago, peterboat said:

There are no very large ships on the Ouse. The ships that go to Goole can in no way be described as very large and the traffic up to Selby is virtually ended as far as even small ships are concerned. Like all tidal rivers they call for a modicum of seamanship and common sense and a knowledge of tides and weather.

Howard

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

?? The Ouse is tricky but hardy "Dangerous" and there hasn't been any big ships since the rice barges stopped about 10 years ago. I certainly wouldn't suggest a novice do Trent Falls and getting into Selby Lock may be challenging first time, but I've never heard of anyone sinking a boat trying to get into the lock. There's plenty of advice available on this forum, if Jason is determined to go that way. I would also suggest picking a neap tide in good weather and visiting Selby beforehand to see how it's done.

3 minutes ago, howardang said:

There are no very large ships on the Ouse. The ships that go to Goole can in no way be described as very large and the traffic up to Selby is virtually ended as far as even small ships are concerned. Like all tidal rivers they call for a modicum of seamanship and common sense and a knowledge of tides and weather.

Howard

Large ships go beyond goole,  we were on there the year before last on a big boat (75 tons) . The year before that Lesley a mate of mine came out of selby got rubbish on her prop and hit the first bridge on the way to York! She was hardly a novice but nothing she could do about it, ok she was on a Brigantine 60 x 12.5 hardly a small narrow boat,  accidents do happen through circumstances beyond your control 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

Large ships go beyond goole,  we were on there the year before last on a big boat (75 tons) . The year before that Lesley a mate of mine came out of selby got rubbish on her prop and hit the first bridge on the way to York! She was hardly a novice but nothing she could do about it, ok she was on a Brigantine 60 x 12.5 hardly a small narrow boat,  accidents do happen through circumstances beyond your control 

You spoke about VERY LARGE SHIPS. Those you mention are not very large ships.

Of course accidents do happen sometimes but it doesnt help anyone to exaggerate the size of vessels. When onthe river,  carry the appropriate equipment such as anchors and suitable chain/rope and have it ready to deploy if in difficulties, and earn how to use it, including a suitable radio. If you are not confident about river work, don't attempt a passage until you are. Get someone more experienced to go with you and learn from them. 

Howard

20 minutes ago, howardang said:

You spoke about VERY LARGE SHIPS. Those you mention are not very large ships.

Of course accidents do happen sometimes but it doesnt help anyone to exaggerate the size of vessels. When onthe river,  carry the appropriate equipment such as anchors and suitable chain/rope and have it ready to deploy if in difficulties, and earn how to use it, including a suitable radio. If you are not confident about river work, don't attempt a passage until you are. Get someone more experienced to go with you and learn from them. 

Howard

They are ocean going ships so they are big and run further up the ouse than Goole! No exaggeration have you not been on the ouse and seen them?

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, peterboat said:

They are ocean going ships so they are big and run further up the ouse than Goole! No exaggeration have you not been on the ouse and seen them?

It's all relative I suppose and what seems very large to you may not be to others. I can only repeat that there are no very large ships trading up the Ouse, they are mainly coastal and near continental traders. Yes I am familiar with the river, having worked on and around the Humber for many years and all upriver vessels from Hull bound to Goole,the Trent etc pass quite close where I live,  so I see them regularly. 

Howard

11 minutes ago, howardang said:

It's all relative I suppose and what seems very large to you may not be to others. I can only repeat that there are no very large ships trading up the Ouse, they are mainly coastal and near continental traders. Yes I am familiar with the river, having worked on and around the Humber for many years and all upriver vessels from Hull bound to Goole,the Trent etc pass quite close where I live,  so I see them regularly. 

Howard

100 meters long 24 meter beam and 4500 tons is bigger than the average narrowboat,  it scared  me and I was in 67 x16 ex working boat, but yes it's all relative 

• Greenie 1

So here are a couple of links to look at

www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/news-flash/8158-not-a-pleasurable-days-pleasure-boating

www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/75976-narrowboat-stuck-in-the-humber/page/2/

Do not take this River lightly it can bite you badly

32 minutes ago, peterboat said:

So here are a couple of links to look at

www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/news-flash/8158-not-a-pleasurable-days-pleasure-boating

www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/75976-narrowboat-stuck-in-the-humber/page/2/

Do not take this River lightly it can bite you badly

Any one familiar with the river Ouse and the Humber Estuary will agree with the your comment, and I remember the case mentioned having been involved in the periphery at the time. Both posts also emphasise the need to prepare yourself and also have a properly prepared boat. Good boatmanship/seamanship means in addition to the boat being well prepared, also being aware of the conditions, the challenges the river can present and taking decisions as skipper based on that knowledge. One could query whether that had been followed in the case covered by the clip. 

Howard 

Edited by howardang

Thank you again for all your advice. We have been up to see the boat today and loved it straight away so we have put a deposit on it! After all your kind advice we are planning to get it transported by road as we have marinas both ends that have services to lift the boat out. We are so excited! Looks like we could be aboard in a couple of weeks. Will post photos asap. Once again. Thanks all. For your help.