Canal network maps

Jason Peach

Featured Posts

Hi all. Jackie and I are new to boating and have just put an offer in on our first boat- we are so exited!!! The boat we are looking at it near York and we have to get it down to Leicestershire where it will be moored. Can anyone suggest the best canal network map book to get with detailed maps. Thanks alot.

Just now, Jason Peach said:

Hi all. Jackie and I are new to boating and have just put an offer in on our first boat- we are so exited!!! The boat we are looking at it near York and we have to get it down to Leicestershire where it will be moored. Can anyone suggest the best canal network map book to get with detailed maps. Thanks alot.

Nicholson's Guides are best for detail.

There are two principle guides.  Nicholson is similar to a book map akin to OS maps.  Pearson is a canal map, showing the canal and related services.  Both are good, I prefer Pearson guides because they are more route friendly to a left hander like me!

We've always had both Nicholson's and Pearson's. Pearson's is chattier and it's timings are spot on I find. He likes the detail of Nicholson's and it's on those maps I add my notes about moornings and other travel information. Also go and have a look at https://canalplan.uk/  It's the go-to for online journey planning!

Well done on getting afloat. Nothing like it!

15 minutes ago, Jason Peach said:

Welcome, just a word of warning, many of (parts of) the canals are closed for Winter maintenance  so your route may not be straightforward,

If you are looking to move it much before April, sort out a route then go onto the C&RT website and see if / when those canals / rivers are affected, you may be able to take a 'longcut' and get around them.

1 hour ago, Jason Peach said:

I find the best place to look for canal related books is at The Canal Bookshop. They close the bricks and mortar shop during the winter months but they still deliver through their website. I've always found their service to be quick and reliable. 

Be carful though they have things you never knew you needed. :D

https://canalbookshop.co.uk/contents.html

Edited by Tumshie

The route you will use includes rivers and tidal rivers, so this is not really the easiest time of year to to this.  If the move can wait until the weather is better it would make sense.  One of the first things that you are going to have to go is get into Selby Lock from the tidal Ouse, this is the hardest manoeuvre that I have so far had to do, so a bit of a baptism of fire!

• Greenie 1

Thanks- just wondering then if it would be easier to get the boat moved by road. I have also had an experienced retired boater say he could drive it back via the canal network  for us at a daily rate of £70. And heres me thinking it would be easy!!? 

• Happy 1

23 minutes ago, john6767 said:

One of the first things that you are going to have to go is get into Selby Lock from the tidal Ouse, this is the hardest manoeuvre that I have so far had to do, so a bit of a baptism of fire!

Unless you go via Trent Falls, which involves more tidal water, but is a couple of days quicker overall.

• Horror 1

If you want to see the ‘big picture’ ie how the canals all connect to each other I recommend this -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Nicholson-Inland-Waterways-Britain/dp/0008363803/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

it also shows which Nicholson guide covers which canals, so you know which book to buy.

Edited by Chewbacka

2 hours ago, canalboat said:

Oh please don't be put off giving it a go yourself. You will never regret it.  If you are apprehensive of a manoeuvre ahead of you, moor up and ask a local boater who will usually be very helpful.  Just take it slow and easy.

Not eactly going to work when you are downstream on the Ouse and going into Selby!  Researching what you need to do before hand is really all you can do, but don’t underestimate the speed to the tide and how far downstream you will go as you make the 180 degree turn.

21 hours ago, Jason Peach said:

I have an idea, see below:-

Edited by rusty69

18 hours ago, canalboat said:

Oh please don't be put off giving it a go yourself. You will never regret it.  If you are apprehensive of a manoeuvre ahead of you, moor up and ask a local boater who will usually be very helpful.  Just take it slow and easy.

This is not good advice! It is one thing boating for the first time on a calm canal but quite another thing on a tidal fast flowing river. You have obviously never boated on a river if you think you can just moor up and ask advice!

haggis

• Greenie 4

As this is your first boat, and your boating experience seems very small, then getting Canal map books is a good idea, and the best sources have been mentioned.

However your later post, regarding delivery of the boat to Leicestershire, does cause concern, that trip at this time of the year, may not be possible, due to "Stoppages" where the canal is closed for maintenance, or sections are in flood, or river sections that have too strong a flow for a canal boat to cope with.  

Also the idea of having a "Retired Boater" deliver the boat will have insurance difficulties, yours won't cover him, because you are paying him, he will need professional cover, which you need to check is adequate.  Being paid £70 a day to sit out a 2-3 week stoppage is an expensive delivery.

Buy the boat if it's suitable, arrange temporary moorings, and take the trip to Leicestershire in the better weather, and enjoy it. 

Bod 

• Greenie 3

What sort of boat is it? And what length? I ask because if it is a narrowboat, these are not well suited to tidal rivers such as the Ouse below York. We did this trip last year in the summer and it was “interesting” at times, to say the least. I have been boating for about 45 years and it’s not something I would recommend to a novice. In fact I’d say it would be extremely foolhardy.

At Selby you can enter a canal (if you can make the turn into the lock without being swept down to the sea with the tide!) and then you have a choice of routes, but essentially either via the tidal trent (shortest) or over the Pennines. The former involves a long stretch of tidal river, prone to flooding / strong currents, going upstream, the latter has locks that limit maximum boat length to 60’ or so.

Tidal rivers in the winter with the propensity for flooding, are not to be taken lightly even for experienced boaters. IMO at the very least, you should seek assistance to get the boat off the tidal river and into the canal system at Selby. It is only a few hours from York, so 1 day for your pilot. Then you will be in a better position to decide whether you are up to the long voyage on your own.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

This is not good advice! It is one thing boating for the first time on a calm canal but quite another thing on a tidal fast flowing river. You have obviously never boated on a river if you think you can just moor up and ask advice!

haggis

To add to that - I'd suggest that taking a narrowboat around Trent falls is not a good idea, and certainly not for a novice with an unknown 'new' boat.

• Greenie 1

On the subject of insurance, canal boats are generally insured only for canals and non-tidal rivers, but with a proviso that they can be used for interconnecting bits of tidal waterways such as the Ouse below york, to Selby. I wonder if an insurance company would grant such cover to a novice, or whether they would decline to insure for tidal stretches. Something to check up on anyway.

19 hours ago, Jason Peach said:

Thanks- just wondering then if it would be easier to get the boat moved by road. I have also had an experienced retired boater say he could drive it back via the canal network  for us at a daily rate of £70. And heres me thinking it would be easy!!? 

Road would be easier, safer, quicker and more reliable at this time of year.

Here is guy I used earlier this year (Lincoln based)

21-10-19p.jpg

Leave it where it is until later in the year! I have done this trip a couple of times once in a boat far bigger than yours, do not consider Trent falls as others have said. Selby is the best and safest option unless you are a seasoned boater with good knowledge of Tidal waters. What you have to understand is just because it isnt raining where you are doesnt mean that its not raining somewhere else into the river you are on, which can raise the levels quickly, follow Rusty 69s advice the guy worked working boats on these rivers for many years

• Greenie 1

Also consider that you do not know the boat or how well it has been maintained. Doing a tidal river run you need to be absolutely sure that the boat is not going to let you down.

The fuel in the tank will get well stirred up, any muck in there will stop your engine just when you need it most.