New Student Boater (Nearly)

ASupertramp

Featured Posts

IMG_3065.jpg.ade29efb729da6b8730d3f71b4e00933.jpg

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do you really have to climb over the bed to open the door ?

I would if I ever used that door. A small price to pay for a kingsize bed.

23 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Welcome back, you did a great job.  I like it, a full width bed is a wonderful luxury on a boat. 

Thank you! It is definitely a welcome luxury.

• Greenie 1

You've done a very good job, well done. 

Just be aware that to get a BSS you might need to add vents to the internal doors and also make sure the vents in the door above the bed are uncovered when the BSS inspector comes. You'll need three fire extinguishers and a carbon monoxide alarm in the living space and probably another one in the bedroom. 

5 minutes ago, booke23 said:

You've done a very good job, well done. 

Just be aware that to get a BSS you might need to add vents to the internal doors and also make sure the vents in the door above the bed are uncovered when the BSS inspector comes. You'll need three fire extinguishers and a carbon monoxide alarm in the living space and probably another one in the bedroom. 

Thank you!

Yep, trying to find suitable vents though there is a fairly large gap above and below each door (not sure if this will suffice?). 

I have the fire extinguishers placed at appropriate locations and three carbon monoxide alarms that push through to my phone too (overkill??). 

Oh and for reference behind the hob will be tiled before anyone worries!

52 minutes ago, ASupertramp said:

It is certainly a tidy, well done job, but .... I'd be very reluctant to have a door that was not easy to access in the dark and event of fire, and panic.

With your fire being close to the other door and, presumably your cooking equipment being between you 'big bed' and the door there is a fair chance that the fire would be between you and the 'other door'.

Is the bed higher than the bottom of the door, does the door easily open outwards ?

I would just do your safety analysis to ensure that can escape if the need arises.

7 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Ventilation is not a requirement of the BSS so even without ventilation it CANNOT fail.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

It is certainly a tidy, well done job, but .... I'd be very reluctant to have a door that was not easy to access in the dark and event of fire, and panic.

With your fire being close to the other door and, presumably your cooking equipment being between you 'big bed' and the door there is a fair chance that the fire would be between you and the 'other door'.

Is the bed higher than the bottom of the door, does the door easily open outwards ?

I would just do your safety analysis to ensure that can escape if the need arises.

Ventilation is not a requirement of the BSS so even without ventilation it CANNOT fail.

Thank you! It's been a long old slog. I agree however that having an escape route is vital so I made sure the bed is lower than the door (even with the mattress on) and doesn't have any locks or catches, just push to open. Similarly the rear hatch is only lockable/unlockable from the inside to prevent getting trapped.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Quote from BSS examination checking procedures:-

image.png.9938069bb90ecc24c046eeceedd315c0.png

While these requirements are advisory for private boats (mandatory for hire boats) my last BSS examiner failed my boat because the previous owner blocked some vents up. 

5 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Quote from BSS examination checking procedures:-

image.png.9938069bb90ecc24c046eeceedd315c0.png

While these requirements are advisory for private boats (mandatory for hire boats) my last BSS examiner failed my boat because the previous owner blocked some vents up. 

Then you are at fault for not following thru.

As you correctly say ventilation is advisory only and if the you have an examiner fail your boat you should complain to the BSS (I have had to do it every time I have had a BSS [different reasons each time]) and demand that they issue your certificate.

If no one complains then the rogue examiners will continue to cause problems.

This is the whole problem with the BSS, examiners are self employed, have no control placed over them and they are left to interpret the rules - no one is ensuring that the rules are applied as written.

I get the feeling that some examiners feel that it looks like they haven't done their job unless they find something to fail. I know of one who trained himself up including the gas qualification precisely because he and others kept being failed on non-fail items and were being coerced into spoiling their boats particularly with excess ventilation and unnecessary expenses for OOD but serviceable fire extinguishers, bubble testers etc.

50 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Then you are at fault for not following thru.

I'm just pointing out that your assertion that a boat CANNOT fail on ventilation is wrong.....it SHOULD NOT fail but all boat owners know the idiosyncrasies of BSS examiners.

Why would I complain to the BSS about a safety issue? The vents were put there in the first place to comply with the RCD so while not strictly necessary for BSS on a private craft they are there for a reason. I'd hardly call an examiner rogue for advising on them. 

While I could have pressed the point and insisted the ventilation complied with BSS, what would my insurance company say if I had to claim and they discovered my blocked vents?......well we all know what insurance companies are like. 

In life, some battles are not worth (and perhaps not wise) fighting.

27 minutes ago, ASupertramp said:

Talking of safety, I'm starting to think about curtains however would obviously need to keep material away from the flue, any nifty suggestions to cover the window behind the flue?

Perhaps a self adhesive frosting on the glass?

Edited by booke23

14 minutes ago, booke23 said:

The vents were put there in the first place to comply with the RCD so while not strictly necessary for BSS on a private craft they are there for a reason. I'd hardly call an examiner rogue for advising on them. 

Could you please point me to the RCD / RCR section /paragraph detailing ventilation requirements ?

An examiner ADVISING on ventilation is doing his job and is not 'going rogue' - however an Examiner that fails a boat on ventilation is rogue and is inventing the rules he would like to see rather than those actually in place.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, ASupertramp said:

Can you still open the doors as an emergency exit? If the vents are still in the bottom of the doors you could vent under the bed and under the draws.

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Can you still open the doors as an emergency exit? If the vents are still in the bottom of the doors you could vent under the bed and under the draws.

I can, as above, the bed is lower than the doors and it doesn't have locks/catches so can just open in an emergency. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, booke23 said:

I'm just pointing out that your assertion that a boat CANNOT fail on ventilation is wrong.....it SHOULD NOT fail but all boat owners know the idiosyncrasies of BSS examiners.

Why would I complain to the BSS about a safety issue? The vents were put there in the first place to comply with the RCD so while not strictly necessary for BSS on a private craft they are there for a reason. I'd hardly call an examiner rogue for advising on them. 

While I could have pressed the point and insisted the ventilation complied with BSS, what would my insurance company say if I had to claim and they discovered my blocked vents?......well we all know what insurance companies are like. 

In life, some battles are not worth (and perhaps not wise) fighting.

Perhaps a self adhesive frosting on the glass?

I'd quite like to be able to see out though. Perhaps something removable. 

Nice job, simple and just nice, you can always just drill 3x 1/12-2” holes evenly spaced at the bottom of your internal doors to aid air flow throughout the boat, without grills it would be in keeping with the farmhouse style. Sometimes brass grills can look cheap or too big.

You have lots of options for a nice colour scene to make the saloon homely especially with those panelled walls and roof beams, you can really make them stand out. Don’t just leave it white or magnolia, no gloss, a nice egg shell or Matt always looks more classy.  Good luck it looks good👍

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, ASupertramp said:

Talking of safety, I'm starting to think about curtains however would obviously need to keep material away from the flue, any nifty suggestions to cover the window behind the flue?

Make a roman blind out of a fire blanket.

• Love 1

If your worried about a fire hazard with the window next to the fire/flue, you could shade/black the glass then get a piece of 2-4 mm steal cut to fit this side of the beading and have a nice CNC pattern cut into it, not too big though to defeat the purpose. This would give you some privacy without the worry of fire retardant blinds/curtains. Hope that makes sense. Something like below, imagine a piece of steel with Bull-rushes cnc’d in, a quick sketch on the the back of the proverbial beer mat. Use your imagination and remember it’s your pallet, you have enough light in the saloon to be able to loose that window. 👍

5A731E51-0260-4264-AC9F-818F4E071B76.jpeg.213befa36afd08295dec18a3d8825cca.jpeg

Edited by PD1964

57 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Something like below, imagine a piece of steel with Bull-rushes cnc’d in, a quick sketch on the the back of the proverbial beer mat. Use your imagination and remember it’s your pallet, you have enough light in the saloon to be able to loose that window. 👍

5A731E51-0260-4264-AC9F-818F4E071B76.jpeg.213befa36afd08295dec18a3d8825cca.jpeg

You could add a bridge in too. Something like this.

BWB.logo_500x330.png.bacf3658e498ad0509c77e628374ac24.png