New Student Boater (Nearly)

ASupertramp

Featured Posts

Pictures attached. 
60ft Peter Nicholls, 1989 build. 

Spent the day cleaning as it’s not been used for a year or two. Started my ‘to do’ list including but not limited to;

- New stove

- Alde boiler service

- Bathroom refit 

- Rear cabin refit 

- a million smaller jobs 

Back tomorrow to continue the clean! 

AF584A0A-C8CF-42A7-9E0C-9B67673C6EC9.jpeg

5C54564D-F53A-4F7F-93B3-0A3921C78273.jpeg

6EE7D0CC-990B-4A7D-BBFA-CD25EFACAE00.jpeg

D6BF480F-8D24-4CFB-B761-1AEA411B6755.jpeg

4F4811F7-7244-42A8-87B7-4B3FEA224CF7.jpeg

46EF6CB7-027D-4B74-9BCF-EB52FCEA7736.jpeg

• Greenie 4

Was that a remake? I seem to remember the song "Dry Bones" as being much earlier, not really 1970s music?

Maybe something by Dr Feelgood might be more appropriate?

I'd suggest Rock'n'Roll Suicide by David Bowie, or of course Paranoid by Black Sabbath, especially for a medical student intending to specialize in psychiatry.

36 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Was that a remake? I seem to remember the song "Dry Bones" as being much earlier, not really 1970s music?

Maybe something by Dr Feelgood might be more appropriate?

I'd suggest Rock'n'Roll Suicide by David Bowie, or of course Paranoid by Black Sabbath, especially for a medical student intending to specialize in psychiatry.

Fair point, but "Bad Medicine" was Bon Jovi in the 1980's ...

I did deliberately pick the 1969 version of Dry Bones and not the 1840s version! :D

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink
  • Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Did they really shoot him - I never saw that in the TV series.

They tried, but he climbed inside a big white balloon (he couldn’t find his Lotus 7) and avoided them...

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

The newest episodes on YouTube are months old well before Christmas from October time ish

In the recent episode, which was filmed on 31st October I think, they go through the Figure of Three locks.

Edited by davem399

30 minutes ago, davem399 said:

In the recent episode, which was filmed on 31st October I think, they go through the Figure of Three locks.

Yes back in October, their Vlogs are about 4 month behind their actual current travel time/location, they are not in the area now as LadyG might of thought and no one will be passing through the Figure of Three locks for at least 12 to 18 month after last week's flooding, no boats will be getting to Huddersfield from that direction.

Edited by PD1964

• 1 month later...

Thought I would update this thread. Been hard at work mostly dismantling things, including the rear cabin and the less than ideal stove installation (including defunct stove). 
I plan on building a new hearth and stove surround at the front of the boat in the corner. I’ve purchased the calcium silicate and will follow the guidelines regarding air gaps etc. Plans slightly on hold as I can’t view any tiles due to the lockdown. I’ll be replacing with a morso squirrel with a back boiler. 

I’m going to change the bathroom from the current split corridor to a walkthrough. Reasons for this:

- The shower is outside the bathroom 

- More space 

- Pretty much just me/girlfriend on boat so no worries regarding privacy. 

I haven’t quite worked out how all of this will look yet but one quick question, the boat has a pump out tank which I want to remove. It smells, despite me flushing it and it’s huge, going through into the bedroom cupboard. How difficult is this likely to be to remove and will I need to have extra metal welded into the space? 

I’m measuring up to fit a new floor, undecided between engineered wood/vinyl. 

Scratching my head about the rear cabin build. I want to turn it into a study but due to the large swim, it’s going to require some clever thinking. 

Pictures attached, possibly out of order. 

85FC56E1-3C2F-491A-8647-7C296A3B3494.jpeg

F92411CC-9926-496F-88E7-F6CC313E39B8.jpeg

BAC16027-7B1F-4FFC-8AEB-A602879CD247.jpeg

D2013D39-8EAB-4CEC-96E2-A1E5CAD6C847.jpeg

7DCFA120-95C5-4D7E-BCE3-08EEDFB5D7D1.jpeg

28 minutes ago, ASupertramp said:

I haven’t quite worked out how all of this will look yet but one quick question, the boat has a pump out tank which I want to remove. It smells, despite me flushing it and it’s huge, going through into the bedroom cupboard. How difficult is this likely to be to remove and will I need to have extra metal welded into the space? 

You will probably need to cut it up to be able to get it out of the boat, so make sure it is as clean as possible otherwise you will have the contents all over the boat.

The question re needing 'extra steel' depends on what type of tank and how it is fitted - id it is a simple 'stand-alone tank' then you shouldn't need to add steel strengthening to the boat. Some tanks actually use the side of the boat as one side of the tank, and the boat base plate as the bottom of the tank. Be careful and make sure you are cutting out the tank and not the bottom of the boat.

If the only reason for getting rid of the pump out tank is the smell, then get rid of the small by treating it with what (gr:) seasoned boaters do. We found that a product sold by Tesco "OxyGen" works wonders. It als helps if the tank is vented to the outside of the boat (Isuspec many don't).

This might save you a bit of grief...

3 hours ago, ASupertramp said:

... less than ideal stove installation (including defunct stove). 
I plan on building a new hearth and stove surround at the front of the boat in the corner.

Hmmm... the centre of the boat sounds ideal to me. Right at one end sounds somewhat sub-optimal. 

On 05/04/2020 at 16:59, Alan de Enfield said:

You will probably need to cut it up to be able to get it out of the boat, so make sure it is as clean as possible otherwise you will have the contents all over the boat.

The question re needing 'extra steel' depends on what type of tank and how it is fitted - id it is a simple 'stand-alone tank' then you shouldn't need to add steel strengthening to the boat. Some tanks actually use the side of the boat as one side of the tank, and the boat base plate as the bottom of the tank. Be careful and make sure you are cutting out the tank and not the bottom of the boat.

Thanks for this. I have a feeling, looking at the construction, that it is integral to the hull somehow so I think I’ll wait until the welder can take a look before hacking away at it. 

23 hours ago, OldGoat said:

If the only reason for getting rid of the pump out tank is the smell, then get rid of the small by treating it with what (gr:) seasoned boaters do. We found that a product sold by Tesco "OxyGen" works wonders. It als helps if the tank is vented to the outside of the boat (Isuspec many don't).

This might save you a bit of grief...

The smell isn’t awful, but the main reason is the size of the tank. It goes through into the bedroom cupboard will get in the way when the bathroom is redone. If it was a little more out of the way, I’d leave it. 

22 hours ago, WotEver said:

Hmmm... the centre of the boat sounds ideal to me. Right at one end sounds somewhat sub-optimal. 

I can’t really get it central, there are kitchen units along both sides. It was probably only a foot closer to the centre of the boat than it will be and provides a bit more living space. 

• 1 month later...

Good Evening!

I am now well into ‘worse before it gets better’ zone. I have pretty much demolished the rear half of the boat, removing the three interior bulkheads as the plan was always for a walk through bathroom and study. When I removed the shower, the sub floor was rotten and bilge rusty so I stripped everything back to metal, fixed the rust and I am now in the process of insulating and fitting a new sub floor. I’ve bought 18mm marine ply, collecting that tomorrow. 

I would like some pointers if possible about the best order to complete things from this point onwards. I have a joiner lined up to build the bulkheads and bed/office, but what should I be doing first. I thought installing any wires for electrics/lights/sockets, then the central heating pipes, plumbing then joinery? 

I’m also suffering from information overload so go easy on me!

2A6364B2-E620-44D2-930B-232910CCAA51.jpeg

A244ED01-0052-4C1F-AB8E-21B5D1CFEFF5.jpeg

Looks like you are competent at this DIY stuff so do whatever suits you.

Ideally your ballast should be raised a little way above the baseplate so that it does not soak up any water that will inevitably get into the boat at some stage.

...............Dave

43 minutes ago, ASupertramp said:

I would like some pointers if possible about the best order to complete things from this point onwards. I have a joiner lined up to build the bulkheads and bed/office, but what should I be doing first. I thought installing any wires for electrics/lights/sockets, then the central heating pipes, plumbing then joinery? 

You need to ensure that a any gas pipes. water pipes, CH pipes, electric cables (mains & 12v) are accessible when the floor and walls are installed (ideal make a trunking or 'box it in' under the gunwale.

Read up on the installation standards as (for example- you cannot run gas piping along side a single insulated wire)

22 minutes ago, dmr said:

Looks like you are competent at this DIY stuff so do whatever suits you.

Ideally your ballast should be raised a little way above the baseplate so that it does not soak up any water that will inevitably get into the boat at some stage.

...............Dave

I’m very glad that I give off this impression despite being far from the truth. Learning on the job! 
I was thinking of little rubber bungs to lift the ballast? There isn’t any ballast beyond the old bathroom to the stern, is this unusual?

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You need to ensure that a any gas pipes. water pipes, CH pipes, electric cables (mains & 12v) are accessible when the floor and walls are installed (ideal make a trunking or 'box it in' under the gunwale.

Read up on the installation standards as (for example- you cannot run gas piping along side a single insulated wire)

Thank you! 
No gas pipes to the rear that I’m aware of. I was planning on either laying all the CH pipes along the floor and boxing in or copper pipes and leave for effect. 
I also wanted to keep all of the bathroom pipes above floor level but not sure how feasible that is yet.