New Student Boater (Nearly)

ASupertramp

Featured Posts

On 09/02/2020 at 10:59, Mike the Boilerman said:

I wasn't sure, but couldn't resist the temptation to put such a big name on the list!

Paul's greatest crime was in my personal opinion,  "The Frog Chorus" in 1984. Even today he rejects criticism of it, saying he can see nothing wrong with it. 

Here it is for your delectation, in case you forgot how truly dreadful it really is:

Almost as bad as Bowie's Laughing Gnome

I wonder what inspired such obviously talented musicians to stoop so low?

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Musicians,like everyone else needs to earn a crust.

I'm thinking of a song that Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote.

Can't remember the exact title,but it went," she wore an itsy teeny yellow polka dot bikini" Saw a TV interview and Lloyd Webber was rather embarrassed when this song was metioned.

On 09/02/2020 at 13:55, dmr said:

I have pondered this, but there are just so many young bands who play the music of the 70's, or music very much derived from it, so its not going to die out just because its original generation does.

...........Dave

The bands themselves  often don't die out when the original generation does!

Queen with Adam Lambert are still touring long after Freddie Mercury died; tickets are on sale for June/July 2020.

The Rolling Stones went on long after Brian Jones left then died (see https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-lineup-changes/), and Wikipedia says Jagger had heart surgery in April 2019 then rejoined the band months later to complete a tour!

Wikipedia tells us that although Rick Parfitt died in 2016, "On Christmas Day 2019, the band appeared on BBC's The Great British Bake Off, performing "Rockin All Over The World".

I imagine there would be plenty of other examples.

18 hours ago, cuthound said:

Perhaps they had a tax demand?

?

I thought it funny that when Bowie popped his clogs a while back no one mentioned the laughing gnome.

On 10/02/2020 at 15:59, Mad Harold said:

I'm thinking of a song that Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote.

Can't remember the exact title,but it went," she wore an itsy teeny yellow polka dot bikini"

????

Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polkadot Bikini was released in 1960 by Brian Hyland. 

The only novelty record by Andrew Lloyd Webber that I’m aware of is Tetris:

On 09/02/2020 at 16:57, tree monkey said:

... it's such a classic it's almost overplayed,  a bit like stairway to heaven.. 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Why has no-one mentioned Jethro Tull?

I had to post this clip, just for the intro :D

A popular story says that Anderson was a second rate guitarist who accidentally recruited a first rate guitarist, realising he was outclassed he purchased a flute, having never played one before, and performed with it that very night ??????   Have you been to the Holy Inadequate in Stoke on Trent?

...............Dave

18 hours ago, WotEver said:

Why has no-one mentioned Jethro Tull

Or Wishbone Ash?

A mate of mine called his boat Fubb after the abovementioned track. Brilliant name if you know what itbis an acronym for.

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

A mate of mine called his boat Fubb after the abovementioned track

This track led to the band's drummer Steve Upton being arrested on their 1974-5 world tour. In New Zealand, swearing in public is a criminal offense, and when Upton announced the title at an outdoor concert, a woman sunbathing in her garden nearby complained to the mayor. Upton spent the night in jail, and the album reached #3 in New Zealand due to the publicity

18 hours ago, dmr said:

Have you been to the Holy Inadequate in Stoke on Trent?

I have not. Should I?

16 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I have not. Should I?

If you are a beer drinker then yes, its one of the best beer drinking pubs on the canal system, though a 5 min walk from the canal. I think I remember a rather large painting of Ian Anderson on the wall.   Beer and Jethro Tull.

.................Dave

First time I'd heard The Laughing Gnome in ages, and it was too early to do so. It's only redeeming feature is it's the only song I can think of that mentions Eastbourne. I imagine either Bowie needed the money when he made it back in the 60s, or someone who owned the rights to it decided to cash in after Bowie became really famous in 1972 with Starman and his great album "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars"; I've always loved that.

Never a Dull Moment? Was Rod Stewart's album of that title of 1972 (which I bought and liked; featuring various members of the Faces who often worked with him over many years) a reference to that? Or were both that and the book referring to something else? Maybe someone using the phrase in 1971? I see that there had been three films of that title, one made as early as 1943, so the phrase must have been around a long time.

On 21/01/2020 at 16:05, Peter X said:

Athy,

You just might have been at Huddersfield.... it has the HNC which I first went on in June/July 2019. There are other canals close to universities etc.

No, Brum.

In my student days, I'm pretty sure that the HNC wasn't open, and that there wasn't yet a University of Huddersfield!