New Student Boater (Nearly)

ASupertramp

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh how sad you know so little about 70s music ?

Have you never heard of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Yes, Caravan, Wishbone Ash? 

A whole new paradigm in music, world famous amongst music fans back in the 70s. 

I was never quite sure about Caravan. Yes did some good stuff but went a bit silly, Pink Floyd were much better. Beatles were important at the time, but I never listen to their stuff anymore, the Stones were better, especially Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main street.  The more obscure stuff was even better, Roy Harper, Incredible String Band etc etc

..............Dave

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

I was never quite sure about Caravan. Yes did some good stuff but went a bit silly, Pink Floyd were much better. Beatles were important at the time, but I never listen to their stuff anymore, the Stones were better, especially Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main street.  The more obscure stuff was even better, Roy Harper, Incredible String Band etc etc

..............Dave

Never really liked the Stones, all a bit derivative. Beatles were SOOOO much more musically clever an imaginative....

MtB, didn't the Beatles break up in about 1970? But they all went on to make other music separately,of variable quality. I've never forgiven Paul McCartney for Mull of Kintyre and one or two other terrible things he did, but Band on the run was OK. Likewise John Lennon's output in the 1970s was variable, some of it tedious and some very good. I always thought Imagine was over-idealistic, but I heard "Starting Over" on a radio the other day and was reminded how much I liked it.

I think George and Ringo did some of their best post-Beatles work after the 1970s, with the Travelling Wilburys and Thomas the Tank Engine respectively.

At university (Oxford) in the 1970s I knew a medical student who maybe should have studied music more; he had a habit of playing the fiddle rather badly!

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Have you never heard of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Yes, Caravan, Wishbone Ash? 

The Beatles broke up in 1969 although there was no public announcement until 1970, so really it was music of the 60's not 70s. 

7 hours ago, Peter X said:

MtB, didn't the Beatles break up in about 1970?

Ah you'd already spotted that one.

Edited by blackrose

9 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

The best music era, i still listen to it everyday.

But my mum likes Frank Sinatra & Nat King Cole and thinks that the best music era was the late 40s and 50s

Could it be that the best music era is actually defined by the era that we as individuals were at out sexual and physical prime?  

Dare I admit to still listening to Fleetwood Mac from time to time? Mind you, I was 30 when they formed, a cou[le of years before I went to University as a 'mature' student - I don't know that that was my sexual and physical prime, or if I even had one.  ?

Tam

8 hours ago, Peter X said:

MtB, didn't the Beatles break up in about 1970?

I wasn't sure, but couldn't resist the temptation to put such a big name on the list!

Paul's greatest crime was in my personal opinion,  "The Frog Chorus" in 1984. Even today he rejects criticism of it, saying he can see nothing wrong with it. 

Here it is for your delectation, in case you forgot how truly dreadful it really is:

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

But my mum likes Frank Sinatra & Nat King Cole and thinks that the best music era was the late 40s and 50s

Could it be that the best music era is actually defined by the era that we as individuals were at out sexual and physical prime?  

I have pondered this, but there are just so many young bands who play the music of the 70's, or music very much derived from it, so its not going to die out just because its original generation does.

...........Dave

1 minute ago, dmr said:

I have pondered this, but there are just so many young bands who play the music of the 70's, or music very much derived from it, so its not going to die out just because its original generation does.

...........Dave

I think that could be said of every decade, it's just that you notice the 70s cos that was 'your' decade. Has there ever been a decade where someone didn't release a cover of the 50s hit I Put A Spell On You. 

14 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have heard of the people you mention,especially the Beatles.They were all the rage in the late sixties before I went to college to study er music.

Because in the seventies I was immersed in the study of the great composers,dead guy's music as a famous violinist once remarked,I missed the pop music of the seventies.

50 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I have heard of the people you mention,especially the Beatles.They were all the rage in the late sixties before I went to college to study er music.

Because in the seventies I was immersed in the study of the great composers,dead guy's music as a famous violinist once remarked,I missed the pop music of the seventies.

Who mentioned pop music?

I'd say most if not all the bands we have been discussing would be highly offended to be described as 'pop music'. I thought we were discussing why someone would want to study 1970s music. And the answer is there was just SO MUCH top notch imaginative and creative new music around then, which stands the test of time now.

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

I think that could be said of every decade, it's just that you notice the 70s cos that was 'your' decade. Has there ever been a decade where someone didn't release a cover of the 50s hit I Put A Spell On You. 

Go to any of of hundreds of music pubs on a weekend and see endless pub rock bands of all ages doing Allright Now and Freebird etc etc.  OK you might also get an Elvis or two but he's a minority interest.

.................Dave

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

Go to any of of hundreds of music pubs on a weekend and see endless pub rock bands of all ages doing Allright Now and Freebird etc etc.  OK you might also get an Elvis or two but he's a minority interest.

I'm not saying that 70s stuff doesn't get played or covered or that some of it's not good, but I think you and I are going to different music clubs/pubs and definitely on different nights cos I had to go look up what freebird was and can say that I don't ever remember that being played in a pub; as for elvis impersonations they're just a little too cringy for me. 

45 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I'm not saying that 70s stuff doesn't get played or covered or that some of it's not good, but I think you and I are going to different music clubs/pubs and definitely on different nights cos I had to go look up what freebird was and can say that I don't ever remember that being played in a pub; as for elvis impersonations they're just a little too cringy for me. 

You had to google freebird,

Let me get this straight you had to google freebird...

Frankly it's such a classic it's almost overplayed,  a bit like stairway to heaven but anyway here it is.

By the way there is a new music thread in the pub :)

14 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Frankly it's such a classic it's almost overplayed,  a bit like stairway to heaven but anyway here it is.

OMG I'm really worried about what the next question will be now you said that!

?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, dmr said:

.................Dave

Not to that guy down at the chip shop he isn't.

:unsure:

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

You had to google freebird,

Let me get this straight you had to google freebird...

Yes :blush:

13 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Please don't make me listen to it again. :D

14 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

By the way there is a new music thread in the pub :)

I noticed that, so far I'm good with David bowie and the Dubliners, but I haven't got to the end so I may recognise some more yet. :D

• Greenie 1