Armstrong Siddeley Banjo

p6rob

Featured Posts

Hi,

Some of you may know I've been rebuilding a 1937 Armstrong Siddeley Siddeley Special car. It's back on the road now but I've not been able to find an inline double banjo union for the central chassis lubrication system. I think the threads are BSP P. I know it's not a boat but a few of you have good engineering contacts. Has anyone any idea where I might find one of these? I've been trawling autojumbles for the last four years with no success.

Rob

lubebanjo.jpg

It shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to get one made from a lump of brass. Much of it could be turned on a lathe, with hand fettling with files around the junction of the two cylindrical parts. Or if just functional will do, then its just a matter of drilling and tapping a rectangular lump.

1 hour ago, p6rob said:

Hi,

Some of you may know I've been rebuilding a 1937 Armstrong Siddeley Siddeley Special car. It's back on the road now but I've not been able to find an inline double banjo union for the central chassis lubrication system. I think the threads are BSP P. I know it's not a boat but a few of you have good engineering contacts. Has anyone any idea where I might find one of these? I've been trawling autojumbles for the last four years with no success.

Rob

lubebanjo.jpg

Have you spoken to @RLWP, he may be able to point you in a direction of fettle an existing one

Not sure what size you need but there is this:-

http://www.legris.com/Legris_ecom/RechercherReferencesTypeArticle.do?codeActivite=BP&codeGroupe=01&codeFamille=01&codeSousFamille=01&codeTypeArticle=0119&codeFiliale=uk&codeLangue=en_GB

Or this from AMAL

http://amalcarb.co.uk/double-banjo-180-degrees-1-4-bsp-threaded-pre-monobloc.html

Or if you can accept a different "look" you could use two banjo fittings on a longer bolt, these seem to be available from multiple sources.

Edited by jonesthenuke
Second link added

Thanks, I'll follow up the leads. I had a price to get one made but it was going to be a few hundred quid. The annoying thing is, when dad bought the car it was on it. but in the past 23 years it's gone missing and with him no longer being around to ask, it's been like looking for a needle in a haystack. I've found most of the missing bits and know from previous experience that as soon as I spent a few hundred replacing it, it'll turn up within a week. This has already happened a few times.

Rob

1 hour ago, canalboat said:

I saw a beautiful Armstrong Siddeley saloon car yesterday at the Bicester Scramble. I love the sphinx mascot.

I had hoped to get there yesterday but didn't make it in the end. Was the Siddeley KMP 700 or CXT 150, by any chance?

Rob

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Surely once the connector becomes double ended it has lost the crucial attribute that makes it a Banjo?

...............Dave

Maybe that's why I'm struggling to locate one. Using the wrong name... parallel brass hydraulic union perhaps?

1 minute ago, p6rob said:

Maybe that's why I'm struggling to locate one. Using the wrong name... parallel brass hydraulic union perhaps?

I was only joking, I expect that a connector that seals on its face and rotates about a central bolt is the defining thing, and any musical instrument likeness is now just history.   I feel a google coming on.......

...............Dave

The Armstrong Siddeley  Owners Club spares store is located in our village. It may be worth contacting them. Their details can be found here:-  www.siddeley.org/contact-us/

image.png.e2e580d8ae3f6eb3d45d2202ba014a08.pngimage.png.3891fb96a48eaf55e555059ae5050d96.png

Edited by David Schweizer

13 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

The Armstrong Siddeley  Owners Club spares store is located in our village. It may be worth contacting them. Their details can be found here:-  www.siddeley.org/contact-us/

image.png.e2e580d8ae3f6eb3d45d2202ba014a08.pngimage.png.3891fb96a48eaf55e555059ae5050d96.png

Thanks David, I didn't realise you were so close to the stores. I visit there fairly regularly and have spent many hours trawling through boxes of random bits in the hope of finding a few missing parts.

13 hours ago, David Mack said:

Is this a diesel engine?

No. It's a 5.0 straight six petrol. This banjo is for the automatic chassis lubrication though, so not engine related.

Rob

6 hours ago, p6rob said:

Thanks David, I didn't realise you were so close to the stores. I visit there fairly regularly and have spent many hours trawling through boxes of random bits in the hope of finding a few missing parts.

About half a mile from my house, I knew Reg Allen on whose farm the stores were established, he had a couple of really old Armstrong Siddley cars including a black one very similar to this one :-

image.png.4ea0fc86b19dfafb45df912477cc8eb0.png