Water collection

Featured Posts

Hi all I hope you may beable to help I have a little nb 26ft had only month in which time I have been staying aboard it's a Cosgrove which I have researched with no joy it is unusual construction hull of which I have never seen before it is neither v or flat bottom it has a central trough running down the middle at the bow there is a triangular section which seems to be collecting water at first I thought condensation but am also worried the hull could be damaged anodes and blacking have not been done for I don't know how long which was my next plan after rip out and new insolation as currently has ok polystyrene and a new refit any help would be gratefully received thanks in advance and happy cruising to all m,Molly

Sorry also sides of hull are glistening wet thanks

A picture is worth 1000 words.

Difficult to say,but condensation can be quite a problem at this time of year, particularily if you are living aboard. Polystyrene insulation isn't the best. How much water are we talking about?

If blacking and anodes are on the cards anyway, I would do that before any internal refit, and inspect the hull at the same time.

Leaking windows,either glass to frame seal or frame to cabin seal.

Leaking vents,also lack of ventilation

causing condensation build up,especially if you boil rice or pasta.Even your chimney seal or gas boiler seal.

There are many sources of leaks which will need careful detective work to find.

15 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

A picture is worth 1000 words.

Difficult to say,but condensation can be quite a problem at this time of year, particularily if you are living aboard. Polystyrene insulation isn't the best. How much water are we talking about?

If blacking and anodes are on the cards anyway, I would do that before any internal refit, and inspect the hull at the same time.

Over the last month a mop bucket off water I've pull some Polystyrene off and it's like rain drops water underneath thank u

If you have a general mist or fine drops over a vertical surface it is condensation. If you are living aboard this is almost inevitable on any uninsulated hull or cabin surfaces at this time of year.

If it is a specific stream running down the hull sides then its likely to be a window or vent leaking. Water collecting in the bilge could be from a range of sources.