Can you change engine mounts with a jack?

Pirateringo

Featured Posts

Hi all, I am going to be changing the engine mounts on my boat soon. Is it possible to somehow jack up the engine enough to change one mount at a time? I'd rather do it myself than pay somebody, and I have someone coming to help realign

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Pirateringo said:

Hi all, I am going to be changing the engine mounts on my boat soon. Is it possible to somehow jack up the engine enough to change one mount at a time? I'd rather do it myself than pay somebody, and I have someone coming to help realign

Cheers

The easier way is to have a hoist set above the engine and lift it that way.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The easier way is to have a hoist set above the engine and lift it that way.

If you haven't got a hoist you can place a jack on a strong piece of timber across the engine hole. A trolley jack works well but you could even use a bottle jack. So answering the op's question, yes you can use a jack.

Edited by Flyboy

Obviously it depends on many factors. Access, type of stern, etc, etc. Having recently changed the mounts on my BMC 1.8 in a semi trad NB I can't imagine using a jack. Even if access had been possible the risk to fingers, toes to say nothing about the engine would have made it a non starter. I used a chain hoist suspended from a 40mm x40mm steel tube across the cockpit. Anything else would have been plain stupid. Hiring a chain hoist is not expensive. On e bay there's a company in the West Midlands who want £20 a week to hire a 1ton hoist (overkill). How much do you value one of your fingers  

• Greenie 2

47 minutes ago, Slim said:

Obviously it depends on many factors. Access, type of stern, etc, etc. Having recently changed the mounts on my BMC 1.8 in a semi trad NB I can't imagine using a jack. Even if access had been possible the risk to fingers, toes to say nothing about the engine would have made it a non starter. I used a chain hoist suspended from a 40mm x40mm steel tube across the cockpit. Anything else would have been plain stupid. Hiring a chain hoist is not expensive. On e bay there's a company in the West Midlands who want £20 a week to hire a 1ton hoist (overkill). How much do you value one of your fingers  

Not stupid at all, I've done it many times using a trolley jack. It's no different to using a chain hoist. You obviously can't lift an engine very much but enough to change the mounts.

21 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Not stupid at all, I've done it many times using a trolley jack. It's no different to using a chain hoist. You obviously can't lift an engine very much but enough to change the mounts.

I'd be intrigued to know how you did it 

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Except for the outboard powered boats, I cannot think of any boat where I could slide a trolley jack under the engine.

I never said anything about putting a trolley jack under the engine, you clearly don't understand what I was saying.  The jack goes above the engine on a stout piece of timber across the engine hole, a strop or chain goes over the jack pad and down either side of the jack to the engine lifting points. Simple.

Before you start jacking the engine check the mounts to see if they can be dismantled. The mounts on my engine have a threaded rod that can be unscrewed from the flexible base.

You loosen the lower nut on the engine foot then unscrew the threaded rod from the base. Swap the flexible base and screw rod back into the new base. Tighten nuts on engine foot. Repeat for each mount.

The engine remains in position supported by the other three mounts.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Capitals are important :

You could always help your Uncle Jack off his horse.

You could always help your Uncle jack off his horse.

I went to a panto today. The Fairy Godmother said to Dandini “Your willy’s weak!”  He replied “What???”  She responded “I said, your will is weak!”  

17 hours ago, Flyboy said:

If you haven't got a hoist you can place a jack on a strong piece of timber across the engine hole. A trolley jack works well but you could even use a bottle jack. So answering the op's question, yes you can use a jack.

I had to lift/support the engine if my boat a few years ago and I found a scissor jack worked well, they are small and fit between the bottom of the sump and the base plate.