Leisure batterys/inverter

Featured Posts

I believe these are the Terms and Conditions/Bye-laws for the Bridgewater canal.

http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/media/BoatingPDFs/bccl_licence_conditions_2017.pdf

Para 1 sub sections K & O will apply to your hire plans.  There will be others to be followed as well.

Bod

PS. Z, could cause major problems, one too many complaints, your out of business.

Edited by Bod
ps added.

5 hours ago, Deano1988 said:

Thanks for the help everybody. I will try to answer everybody with this.

Heating is log burner and a boiler with central heating 

Now that the cable on the batterys has been pointed out I understand that (I will change them) 

The mooring is in central manchester and love the spot. Moving it isn't really a option and no mains hook up.

The sockets will just be general purpose,  t.v maybe 12v TVs just don't seem to be good enough.  I will tell people they cant use hair dryers, straighteners etc.   Kettle will on hob 

Brand new gas oven has been installed that uses 240 to ignite. 

Take it from an ex hire fleet engineer that just telling people not to do something will have only a  minimal effect - if any. The number of electric razor sockets I have had to change because, despite a label saying don't plug anything other than a razor, in customers constantly tried all sorts of mains equipment. That was in the 70s so with so much more stuff like tooth brushes and computers things will be worse.

Even if it was a 12V only boat customers will still do very odd things given half a chance.

My own view re four days between charging and then only charging while you are aboard is "keep dreaming on" or "I hope you have a sufficiently large new battery budget".

At the present time there is no way I would use LiFe4Po for this type of job unless they had a very sophisticated control system in place. I bet they would destroy them by over discharge and possibly using the outside their temperature range. If the under voltage/under or over temperature shut down operated an 2am how happy would you be to go out and deal with it?

• Greenie 1

Your only hope is to have only ONE electric socket on board with a 0.5 amp breaker next to it. This will limit the power to charging laptops, phones etc. You need a small full sine wave inverter with standby function so it only comes on when there is a demand and buy a 24v fridge.  Those batteries are useless change them for Forklift batteries. You need 12 large forklift batteries to give you a 24v system. Forklift batteries do not die like "deep cycle" batteries, they are much mor forgiving. I used to install and maintain off-grid rental properties on the Greek islands where the battery banks would weigh 8 tons and be charged by enormous truck engined diesel generators along with over 100 solar panels on each property. Villas with swimming pools.

11 hours ago, Bee said:

I don't think its possible to store 4 days worth of electricity in batteries.  To make this idea work you might have to think about a generator.

Doesn't that depend on what you're drawing from the batteries over those 4 days? I can go 4 days without recharging my batteries as my fridge isn't electric, my TV draws about an amp and my other power demands are minimal. However I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the case for prospective paying guests on the OP's boat. Typical non boater usage would probably render the batteries dead in a few hours.

Edited by blackrose

9 hours ago, rogeriko said:

Your only hope is to have only ONE electric socket on board with a 0.5 amp breaker next to it. This will limit the power to charging laptops, phones etc. You need a small full sine wave inverter with standby function so it only comes on when there is a demand and buy a 24v fridge.  Those batteries are useless change them for Forklift batteries. You need 12 large forklift batteries to give you a 24v system. Forklift batteries do not die like "deep cycle" batteries, they are much mor forgiving. I used to install and maintain off-grid rental properties on the Greek islands where the battery banks would weigh 8 tons and be charged by enormous truck engined diesel generators along with over 100 solar panels on each property. Villas with swimming pools.

At last some real sense...

Yes, you can run a boat's electrical system on batteries that are designed mainly to start a car's engine - but they don't last long. The recent 'flood' of qustions on here from folks who just don't understand the basic issues is evidence of that.

Some time ago Charles Sterling senior posted a YouTube video about batteries - which have been largely ignored by the boating community. ("we" don't see posts from folks who did heed his suggections for predictable reasons)