Canal Boating Bangkok style

rgreg

Featured Posts

36 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

anything that shakes up those continuous cruisers moorers has to be a good thing.   

I see you have something against those who choose not to sit in tightly packed marinas and save themselves £3k a year?

7 minutes ago, canalhippy said:

I see you have something against those who choose not to sit in tightly packed marinas and save themselves £3k a year?

I have a lot against those who choose to use the canals as a 'cheap' place to live and are loathe to move about the system, and complain when anyone dares to navigate the canal at anything more than tick-over speed  ......................  especially when they are 'tightly packed' along the towpath, like the K&A east of Bath for example.  

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I have a lot against those who choose to use the canals as a 'cheap' place to live and are loathe to move about the system, and complain when anyone dares to navigate the canal at anything more than tick-over speed  ......................  especially when they are 'tightly packed' along the towpath, like the K&A east of Bath for example.  

I think you’re generalising a little there, as a CCer myself I take pride in not paying out £3k a year for a mooring. But I do move on every 14 days, which is fairly easy on the Worcester Birmingham.

22 minutes ago, canalhippy said:

I think you’re generalising a little there, as a CCer myself I take pride in not paying out £3k a year for a mooring. But I do move on every 14 days, which is fairly easy on the Worcester Birmingham.

CCing is fine if that's what you want to do and I did it myself for a few years, but why would you "take pride" in not paying for a mooring? That's like taking pride in not paying for a parking space or not paying for your prescriptions. Taking pride in being a miser? Some people in this country have an odd sense of achievement! ?

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, canalhippy said:

I used the expression continuous cruiser moorer, which is commonly understood to refer to a certain sector of those who have CC licences.

all I can say is - 'if the cap fits, wear it'  

only you know if you qualify   :unsure:

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Taking pride in being a miser? Some people in this country have an odd sense of achievement! ?

it's all in the name - 'hippy'.   :rolleyes:

On 05/01/2020 at 12:49, canalhippy said:

But but but, do you Moor With Springs or do you enjoy grumbling and whining about boats getting to where they are going at a reasonable speed. 

On 05/01/2020 at 13:12, blackrose said:

CCing is fine if that's what you want to do and I did it myself for a few years, but why would you "take pride" in not paying for a mooring? That's like taking pride in not paying for a parking space or not paying for your prescriptions. Taking pride in being a miser? Some people in this country have an odd sense of achievement! ?

I take great pride in having a mooring and only paying £370 per annum. Is that allowed? 

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 22:22, Jim Riley said:

But but but, do you Moor With Springs or do you enjoy grumbling and whining about boats getting to where they are going at a reasonable speed. 

I've often wondered why narrow boats do not use springers for this purpose, my own experience is sailing boats and this is the way to go

:offtopic:

'Cos there's nowt on the side in the middle to tie 'em too.

And springing the bow leads to tripping over the rope when exiting the cratch. Stern spring rubs the corner of the cabin on a trad. Tying bow and stern at an angle rather than straight on works well enough most of the time.

Lets not have another diatribe on tying a boat up or speeding, its getting really monotonous. Some want there boats set in concrete.......................?

Edited by Boater Sam

4 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

:offtopic:

'Cos there's nowt on the side in the middle to tie 'em too.

And springing the bow leads to tripping over the rope when exiting the cratch. Stern spring rubs the corner of the cabin on a trad. Tying bow and stern at an angle rather than straight on works well enough most of the time.

Lets not have another diatribe on tying a boat up or speeding, its getting really monotonous. Some want their boats set in concrete.......................?

Slow down there lad......... ?

Edited by Jim Riley