A cheap supplier of methylated spirits?

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

Having just aquired a spirit cooker,I bought 500ml of meths from a diy outlet for £4!! Struck me as very expensive,so perused the web and the cheapest I could find was £12-75 +£3-75 p+p for 5ltr.

Still think this is dear.

Does anyone know of a cheaper supplier?

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Having just aquired a spirit cooker,I bought 500ml of meths from a diy outlet for £4!! Struck me as very expensive,so perused the web and the cheapest I could find was £12-75 +£3-75 p+p for 5ltr.

Thanks.

Bartoline supply this though its best bought Online in my experience . Bartoline Lamp Oil used to be purchased for reasonable money at Uxbridge Chandlery though I have instead been purchasing Paraffin from B&Q on account of Linda being out of stock the last time I inquired

8 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Thanks.

A local petrol station sells 5 litres at about £7. (I keep it in the JIC cupboard with a stove).

Blooming expensive, might as well use a petrol or diesel stove.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

A local petrol station sells 5 litres at about £7. (I keep it in the JIC cupboard with a stove).

Blooming expensive, might as well use a petrol or diesel stove.

These Fuels have simply gone crazy in recent years . I have some Traditional Lamps onboard which I almost have to ration the use of . It just seems like yesterday when every High Street had an Ironmongery with a reasonably priced supply .

"alcohol for general use that has been made unfit for drinking by the addition of about 10 percent methanol and typically also some pyridine and a violet dye."

Rubbing alcohol,  Vodka etc. are similar. Anyone with an NHS contract or a distillery?

Isopropanol alcohol is cheap but does it burn properly? 

At those prices I'm glad I sold my steam wagon. (Mamod)

6 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

These Fuels have simply gone crazy in recent years . I have some Traditional Lamps onboard which I almost have to ration the use of . It just seems like yesterday when every High Street had an Ironmongery with a reasonably priced supply .

"I remember when" ………...  it was 2/6 per gallon (mid 60's) and petrol (4-star) was about 3/- a gallon.

Thinking about it - I suppose that that relates fairly closely to the prices today

Edited by Alan de Enfield

We use meths for our stove in the warmer months. Barrettine meths burns quite clean and we have used it for years other make are available but most do not burn that clean. Barrettine did guarantee it would not soot up our burner. We get ours from "Rest Express" 01285 831668 or rest www.express.co.uk. We brought 4x5ltr.

2 hours ago, fittie said:

We use meths for our stove in the warmer months. Barrettine meths burns quite clean and we have used it for years other make are available but most do not burn that clean. Barrettine did guarantee it would not soot up our burner. We get ours from "Rest Express" 01285 831668 or rest www.express.co.uk. We brought 4x5ltr.

Thanks for the replies folks.looked up Rest Express and they are the cheapest on the web.£45 for 4×5ltrs post free.

However,20 litres would probably last me all my life with my little Origo single burner.I'll simply have to pay the price for 5ltrs,grin and bear it.

I shouldn't complain really,because I was given the cooker.

Edited by Mad Harold

I once bought some from a local hardware store run by an eccentric old bloke (long since departed). Asked for a bottle of meths and he vanished out the back for twenty minutes. Eventually he came back, swaying more than slightly, and handed over a Harvey's Bristol Cream bottle filled with meths.

They don't make them like that any more.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fittie said:

Is it not the same thing...I looked at the pics on the link and under where it says Alcool a bruler it has Alcool methylique.

Near enough but it doesn't smell like meths does. When I had a spirit stove I always used it in preference to meths.

1 hour ago, Onewheeler said:

I once bought some from a local hardware store run by an eccentric old bloke (long since departed). Asked for a bottle of meths and he vanished out the back for twenty minutes. Eventually he came back, swaying more than slightly, and handed over a Harvey's Bristol Cream bottle filled with meths.

They don't make them like that any more.

In the early days of H & S we had our knuckles rapped for having just such a bottle, supplied by the local chemist and clearly labeled, in a locked cupboard in a prep room where the kids weren't allowed.

44 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Alcool a bruler is the best stuff if you can find it over here.

Its available in France

https://www.carrefour.fr/p/alcool-a-bruler-900-combustible-nettoyant-mieuxa-3256630030413

;);)

29 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Near enough but it doesn't smell like meths does. When I had a spirit stove I always used it in preference to meths.

IT doesn't have the pyridine and purple dye in it to make it undrinkable that you get in the UK. On trips to France I try and bring back enough to keep my Trangia stove going till the next time. Much cheaper and smells nicer than anything you can easily buy in the UK.

Jen

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

In the early days of H & S we had our knuckles rapped for having just such a bottle, supplied by the local chemist and clearly labeled, in a locked cupboard in a prep room where the kids weren't allowed.

Probably not the kids they were worried about, more likely the key holders!

• Haha 1