John Whittaker to buy Bridgewater Canal

Liam

Featured Posts

John Whittaker, who owns Peel Holdings is currently going through the process of buying the Bridgewater Canal to run himself, seperately.

The mooring fees are set to double by 2010, and there are going to be 5 new marinas, holding approx 200 boats in each, so that'll be 1,000 new boats on the Bridgewater. Upto now I don't know where the new marinas are going to be but I've heard that Preston Brook is going to be extended.

Also, lots of facilities will be added, which the canal has lacked in the past which is why the fees are going up, amongst other reasons. The Bridgewater Way is still going ahead, but I don't know where that's upto at the moment.

Peel Holdings currently own the canal and have done for years, it's just that John Whittaker is buying the Bridgewater Canal, err off himself, it would seem, as a totally seperate thing. His "baby" if you like..

But yeah, still not good news.

It was "mentioned" at an FBCC Meeting in the past few days, and was bought up at another meeting last night (Wednesday).

I'm guessing that you're going to use the info on your website? Either way I'll try and get more info over this weekend for you.

Edited by Liam

It was "mentioned" at an FBCC Meeting in the past few days, and was bought up at another meeting last night (Wednesday).

I'm guessing that you're going to use the info on your website? Either way I'll try and get more info over this weekend for you.

If I can get some sort of official source for the info then I would certainly consider using it on the website. However, I'm sure you can understand my reluctance to publish something on the basis of hearsay or rumour!

After all, people do sometimes quote Pennine Waterways as a reliable source of information to back up arguments (even on here)!

Do you think Mr Whittaker would be interested in buying the Rochdale Canal as well?

I know where you're coming from but it is neither heirsay nor a rumour. It came straight from Mike Webb, but on the other hand if I said Pavarotti had died, would you beleived me if you hadn't seen it on something such as the BBC news? So, yes, I understand your position :smiley_offtopic:

I'm interested in this because I moor my boat up on the Bridgewater, as do my parents and alot of other friends so I'm wanting to find out, like you, more info from a reliable source. I'll happily publish it on here for others attention too...

Meanwhile, back to the Bridgewater Canal.....

Peel Holdings says the following about the Bridgewater's ownership:

The Bridgewater Canal, which is in recreational use, is owned by Peel and is managed

by the Company on behalf of the Bridgewater Canal Trust, a public/private partnership

established by the Company. Any profits are retained in the Trust.

Now, that makes it sound as if the canal is in the ownership of the Bridgewater Canal Trust and just managed for them by Peel. If the profits go back into the Trust, what advantage would there be for Mr Whittaker in separating it from Peel?

I understand that the trust is made up of a Councillor from each of the local authorities that the Bridgewater Canal passes through plus Mike Webb.

Last year it was said that the total contribution from the councils was not enough to pay for the grass cutting on the towpaths.

The amount the councils pay depends on the length of the towpath in their area and as far as I know all the money goes to Peel Holdings.

The changes that Liam mentioned were also discussed at our club meeting on Tuesday.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
Oh dear,

Peel Holdings own Teesside airport and since they took over it has been a disaster.

Not good news.

peel holdings also own Liverpool and doncaster Airports, as well as clyde forth ports and the mersey docks and harbour company, who own heysham port and midway port in kent thats some empire this guy,s got