Storage Solutions

Vanessa1402

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, Vanessa1402 said:

I’ll have to find a way to make it work I’m afraid, vintage clothing is something of a passion! Perhaps a rail across the width of the boat, behind a curtain? 

It's easy. We had a boat with a ten foot long dining room with only dining table and chairs in. You could have got oodles of clothes in there. Don't fall for the trap of a piddly little boat. Get 70 or nearly and have what you want. 

13 hours ago, Vanessa1402 said:

as a walk in wardrobe

Perhaps think walk through rather than walk in.

I don't know how many boats you've been to see but if going to look at them in person is difficult then try a YouTube search for Rugby Boats, they're a brokerage so they have an in-depth website but they also have a YouTube channel where they post walk through videos of all the boats they're selling with detailed commentary. It's not as good as seeing boats in real life but it will give you an idea of how different types of boats are laid out plus the chap you does the commentary points out things that you might not have thought to think about. 

https://rugbyboats.co.uk

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

Perhaps think walk through rather than walk in.

I don't know how many boats you've been to see but if going to look at them in person is difficult then try a YouTube search for Rugby Boats, they're a brokerage so they have an in-depth website but they also have a YouTube channel where they post walk through videos of all the boats they're selling with detailed commentary. It's not as good as seeing boats in real life but it will give you an idea of how different types of boats are laid out plus the chap you does the commentary points out things that you might not have thought to think about. 

https://rugbyboats.co.uk

Thanks, I’ll have a look :)

yes, walk through...maybe a section of the boat with hanging rails either side if you see what I mean? Perhaps a dedicated 5 foot or so..

What I really need is a hand-built boat designed for a clothsaholic. I suspect funds will not permit...sigh 

1 minute ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Thanks, I’ll have a look :)

yes, walk through...maybe a section of the boat with hanging rails either side if you see what I mean? Perhaps a dedicated 5 foot or so..

What I really need is a hand-built boat designed for a clothsaholic. I suspect funds will not permit...sigh 

A narrowboat cabin is about 5ft wide at roof level inside the boat, so not really enough width for proper hanging rails both sides. 

10 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Perhaps a boat with two cabins, one for you and one for clothes? We looked at a 70’ trad a few years ago that had that sort of layout.

Or more obviously, a bote for Vanessa and a bote for her clothes....

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Or more obviously, a bote for Vanessa and a bote for her clothes....

Don’t think I haven’t considered it! But the budget though...

The Marina I’m eyeing up offers on land storage as part of the deal. Depending on what form that takes, that could be my solution. Walk in wardrobe too much to hoe for? 

If a walk in / walk through wardrobe is important to you then I see no reason why you can't have it - you can make it doable, you just have to be creative in your thinking about it. I've seen boats where people have set up workshops and craft rooms in the space that would have been the second bedroom. Ex hire boats have a lay out that could be easily give you that extra "room" because they are laid out to accommodate several sleeping areas. They don't always have the best storages for every day living and they do tend to lack in the kitchen department but it kinda depends on what you want to prioritise. 

You don't have to like this boat at all, it's just an example of a boat with two bedrooms where one could be converted into anything you liked. 

https://www.black-prince.com/princess-6/

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

If a walk in / walk through wardrobe is important to you then I see no reason why you can't have it - you can make it doable, you just have to be creative in your thinking about it. I've seen boats where people have set up workshops and craft rooms in the space that would have been the second bedroom. Ex hire boats have a lay out that could be easily give you that extra "room" because they are laid out to accommodate several sleeping areas. They don't always have the best storages for every day living and they do tend to lack in the kitchen department but it kinda depends on what you want to prioritise. 

You don't have to like this boat at all, it's just an example of a boat with two bedrooms where one could be converted into anything you liked. 

https://www.black-prince.com/princess-6/

That would be perfect :)

Tbh I have quite specific ideas about interior decor so I’m not looking for a perfect interior, just a sound exterior and an engine in good condition would do me for starters! 

7 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

That would be perfect :)

Tbh I have quite specific ideas about interior decor so I’m not looking for a perfect interior, just a sound exterior and an engine in good condition would do me for starters! 

And a washing machine. If you're living aboard, a washing machine is essential.

And the means to run it of course, i.e. not relying on a showerline. 

Most boats for sale do not have a washing machine. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

The marina I was looking at has a laundrette on site- plus I’m more of a “service wash” kind of woman...I think I’d do without a space-sacrificing washing machine, unless you advise otherwise? 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Most boats for sale do not have a washing machine. 

Or a shoreline.....

:)

But seriously, I lived aboard in a marina, and the washing machine was on land, it was practical and left more space on the boat, so I agree, use the service wash option, whether in the marina and whenever out boating.

Edited by Stilllearning
  • Happy 1

17 hours ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Hi all! 

A big part of my life is vintage clothing- mostly 40s and 50s. Obviously storage is at a premium in narrowboats-I was thinking of sectioning off part of my boat (still in concept stage!) as a walk in wardrobe. Can anyone see any problems with this? 

Massive massive problems if you are still thinking of a 30 to 40 footer.

• Greenie 1