Storage Solutions

Vanessa1402

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

The marina I was looking at has a laundrette on site- plus I’m more of a “service wash” kind of woman...I think I’d do without a space-sacrificing washing machine, unless you advise otherwise? 

The thing is, once you are living aboard a boat, you may well find yourself looking at all the passing boats and wistfully thinking, 'wish I could do that', which you CAN if you get a boat that will work independently of services on the bank, and is not constantly needing to be 'sucking on the tit' of a shoreline. 

As a newbie the mahoosive difference between marina living and on-line living is not immediately apparent, but if you buy the wrong boat you'll find yourself restricted to the former, or with quite a large project to convert it to fully independent should you find you want to get more adventurous and drop the £4k a year mooring, and go off CCing.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The thing is, once you are living aboard a boat, you may well find yourself looking at all the passing boats and wistfully thinking, 'wish I could do that', which you CAN if you get a boat that will work independently of services on the bank, and is not constantly needing to be 'sucking on the tit' of a shoreline. 

As a newbie the mahoosive difference between marina living and on-line living is not immediately apparent, but if you buy the wrong boat you'll find yourself restricted to the former, or with quite a large project to convert it to fully independent should you find you want to get more adventurous and drop the £4k a year mooring, and go off CCing.

That does sound appealing... I think you can get “portable” washing machines , designed for caravans- would they be any good? 

7 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

That does sound appealing... I think you can get “portable” washing machines , designed for caravans- would they be any good? 

I'm not sure, never had one but I know someone who did. She eventually chucked it and reverted to using the marina launderette facilities. 

Have a search, plenty of old discussion of them here, other peeps think they are brilliant. 

You may well find you prefer marina living but would be a shame  if you bought a boat that was awkward or difficult to CC in just because no-one said, that's what I was thinking....

2 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Quite a few people have them and have mentioned them in the past if you try the search function in the top right of the site header you should find some posts about them. If you are taking a lot of your clothes to be dry cleaned and washing delicates by hand then you might not need a washing machine even if you go off CCing. But I think It's a lot easier to buy a boat with or fit one before you go CCing rather than fit out your boat and then think to your self you could really do with a washing machine, it might then be much harder to fit. 

• Happy 1

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not sure, never had one but I know someone who did. She eventually chucked it and reverted to using the marina launderette facilities. 

Have a search, plenty of old discussion of them here, other peeps think they are brilliant. 

You may well find you prefer marina living but would be a shame  if you bought a boat that was awkward or difficult to CC in just because no-one said, that's what I was thinking....

I think I’m probably going to end up buying a boat, having it at a marina then kind of “stretching my wings” as I get more confident. Reading around, it seems like a lot of people do similar.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

I think I’m probably going to end up buying a boat, having it at a marina then kind of “stretching my wings” as I get more confident. Reading around, it seems like a lot of people do similar.

Yes exactly. Would be good to plan for this should it happen. It may not but if it does, you may be eternally grateful you bought a suitable boat in the first place!

19 hours ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Although i dont liveaboard we cruise extensively. We use one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leisurewize-Washing-Machine-Camping-Motorhome/dp/B01FYM15RU/ref=asc_df_B01FYM15RU/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=232048127405&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6158297975225416168&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007147&hvtargid=pla-723079749012&psc=1

It cleans better and much quicker (15 mins) than the automatic washing machine in the house, but you have to keep fill manually filling and emptying it and moving the clothes from one drum to the other.  However it is quite large and normally lives inside the rear doors under the hatch and has to be manhandled to the bathroom to be used.

They now do an even smaller single tub version

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-IN-1-Compact-Automatic-Washing-Machine-Free-Standing-Top-Load-3-5KG-Spin-Dry/303078776188?redirect=mobile

Edited by cuthound
Clarification
  • Happy 1

52 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I have a cruiser stern boat.  No diesel smell in the cabin at all.

I think @Stilllearning is thinking of his time in a WW2 submarine. My engine is inboard and I have no diesel smell either: it's diesel fuel that smells, not diesel engines - if there's a fuel smell, there's probably a fuel leak. ;)

• Happy 1

5 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I have a cruiser stern boat.  No diesel smell in the cabin at all.

That's a shame but easily fixed. Have you tried putting some diesel in say, a plant sprayer and misting some of the soft furnishings?

• Haha 1