Storage Solutions

Vanessa1402

Featured Posts

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Don't try to mix a space-hungry part of your life with another part of your life that's as space-limited as narrowboating? :)

I’ll have to find a way to make it work I’m afraid, vintage clothing is something of a passion! Perhaps a rail across the width of the boat, behind a curtain? 

Just now, Vanessa1402 said:

I’ll have to find a way to make it work I’m afraid, vintage clothing is something of a passion! Perhaps a rail across the width of the boat, behind a curtain? 

I only say that because most of us find it a challenge to have enough room for ordinary clothes in addition to everything else you need in a 7 foot wide vessel, let alone your doubtless lovely and fascinating collection!   I have no wish to rain on your parade... :)

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Nope. Mrs Rusty loves her clothes and handbags too. We are on a 70 ft boat. 45 foot of it is dedicated to her clothes, shoes and handbags. I have been living in the engine room for 21 years now.

She is  forever going up the charity shop 'getting rid of unwanted items'. She replaces them the following week with another bunch of clothes, handbags and shoes. 

Honestly it is not a problem......not for her anyway. Grrrrrrrrr.

Mrs Rusty is a woman after my own heart! 

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I only say that because most of us find it a challenge to have enough room for ordinary clothes in addition to everything else you need in a 7 foot wide vessel, let alone your doubtless lovely and fascinating collection!   I have no wish to rain on your parade... :)

No, it’s fine! I’m sure I can make it work- might have to adjust my wardrobe to be more “land girl” and less huge fluffy petticoats over circle skirts though! 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Well, perhaps she could move onto your boat, and I could move out of the engine room.:)

Like the Golden Girls! :D 

Just now, Vanessa1402 said:

No, it’s fine! I’m sure I can make it work- might have to adjust my wardrobe to be more “land girl” and less huge fluffy petticoats over circle skirts though! 

Ah, now you've hit the nail on the head - that's you doing true narrowboating, where almost everything is a compromise!  :)

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Ah, now you've hit the nail on the head - that's you doing true narrowboating, where almost everything is a compromise!  :)

Don't talk to me about compromise (Oh, you weren't). Try sleeping on a Lister mate!

On a practical note one problem that has to be solved is the ventilation and heating of any area used for clothes storage. Wardrobes can hold pockets of cold damp air which leads to mildew and other nasties on clothes. This can be a problem in some houses and its much worse on a boat. I wouldn't want my collection of vintage shirts to be stored in a cold damp wardrobe on our boat!!

Well,Mrs Rusty has subjected all of her, and my clothing,admittedly only 3 pairs of pants, two T-shirts and a pair of jeans to the Marie Kondo treatment.

Apparently, this allows my clothing to take up 1/2 the space it previously did. The net result being nil,as the extra shelf space I have accumulated has now been allocated to Mrs Rusty.

So, in summary,i did have a whole shelf and now only have half a shelf.......that's equality for you!

15 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Tsk of course I am! But I missed the episode where somebody slept on top of Lister. 

Come to think of it. Lister was always on the top bunk!

Does your collection have to be available to wear/show/drool over at all times? Or could it be sucky-bagged? Or part of it sucky-bagged. That would reduce the space needed enORMOUSLY, AND keep the clothes free of moisture.

1 hour ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Hi all! 

A big part of my life is vintage clothing- mostly 40s and 50s. Obviously storage is at a premium in narrowboats-I was thinking of sectioning off part of my boat (still in concept stage!) as a walk in wardrobe. Can anyone see any problems with this? 

Only that you will need the biggest boat you can possibly afford, and the cleanest engine you can find. The smell of diesel permeates everything.

7 minutes ago, Jo_ said:

Does your collection have to be available to wear/show/drool over at all times? Or could it be sucky-bagged? Or part of it sucky-bagged. That would reduce the space needed enORMOUSLY, AND keep the clothes free of moisture.

I thought about those vacuum bags... certainly I put away  loathes until the correct season comes around , so they could certainly go in vacuum bags . 

4 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Only that you will need the biggest boat you can possibly afford, and the cleanest engine you can find. The smell of diesel permeates everything.

Hmmmm....I was considering a smaller boat tbh. Ventilation and warmth certainly need thinking about. 

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Vanessa, you remind me of another single female, formerly of this forum, who moved onto a small narrowboat. Some of the thoughts she set out after a few months living afloat are relevant to your aspirations for your clothes collection.

Could the Mods please fix Starcoaster's post as a "Sticky"