Going price for a decent 40-45ft?

NB DW

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

There is no sound reason to suspect that the steel is any different than any bought on any steel market in the world. Chinese, Korean, and Japanese cars don't seem to rust or rot any worse than VW, Peugeot/Citroen, Fiat etc.

But I couldn't life with the shape of that cabin or those door handles!

I love the door handle :)  I could hear people discussing it as we went down the cut ..... the boats are all two packed so there should not be any significant erosion excepting damage or lack of on-going maintenance.

On 03/01/2020 at 19:06, NB DW said:

Hi,

I've currently a 25ft Aintree Beetle and I'm looking to buy something bigger as a liveaboard.  I'd toyed with the idea earlier in the year and bottled it, hence the Beetle.  Anyhow, it's a new year and I've decided to go for it.

I'll be selling the Beetle privately and I've got a figure in mind. 

I'm looking for something 40-45ft in length with a good quality fit out - and ideally no dark wood/finish - and a hull from a respected builder but they seem scarce.  The 'sticker price' seems to be around the £40K mark for something under 15 years old...

This looks nice but can't quite stretch to it. 

https://newandusedboat.co.uk/used-boats-for-sale/1343

I'm keen to hear what the going rate is for such a boat.  Or is it a case of how long is a piece of string and all depends on what the owner accepts?

Thanks in advance

I was considering downsizing from my 59ft boat to something a bit more manageable for singlehanding before Christmas and looked quite seriously at the boat in your link. It’s a nice boat but up close the quality of the fit out is a bit disappointing (badly fitting doors and some rough woodwork etc) having said that it’s nothing that a few weekends work wouldn’t fix, and it’s been for sale a good while now so they may well take an offer. 

On 11/01/2020 at 22:12, Carthorse said:

I was considering downsizing from my 59ft boat to something a bit more manageable for singlehanding before Christmas and looked quite seriously at the boat in your link. It’s a nice boat but up close the quality of the fit out is a bit disappointing (badly fitting doors and some rough woodwork etc) having said that it’s nothing that a few weekends work wouldn’t fix, and it’s been for sale a good while now so they may well take an offer. 

Thanks for the feedback.

I did notice even from the photos a few bits which suggest a lower-quality fit out than I'd hoped for.  Screws etc capped off with brass fittings here and there.  And some of the woodwork looks to be discoloured and white in apperance.

It's been up since September now, so quite a while as you say.

I'm in a bit of a quandry over what to do with my boat in terms of brokerage.  The broker I visited advised that if it doesn't sell within 60 days and I withdraw it from sale after this period of time I'd have to pay a £600 fee.  This is to prevent the abusing them for free moorings which I can understand.  I don't know if it's the right time of year to be putting my boat up for sale though.

4 minutes ago, NB DW said:

I'm in a bit of a quandry over what to do with my boat in terms of brokerage.  The broker I visited advised that if it doesn't sell within 60 days and I withdraw it from sale after this period of time I'd have to pay a £600 fee.  This is to prevent the abusing them for free moorings which I can understand.  I don't know if it's the right time of year to be putting my boat up for sale though.

If it is well maintained, clean and tidy and priced at a fair market price then it will sell within a couple of weeks at any time of the year.

The ones that 'hang about' are the ones were the owner has priced it at 'what it cost him + what he spent on it' and it is totally out of step with the market.

Dirty, damp, smelly boats will sit for months gradually getting worse and worse.

I remember going to look at a boat at Whilton which turned out to have been for sale for 5 years, it had not been cleaned, the engine had not even been started in 5 years. The windows were leaking and the paint was peeling off.

It looked like a 'dumper' and the longer it stayed, the longer it would be staying.

Make sure your broker does a weekly clean / dust / cobweb, renew the air fresheners etc. If they don't, then go and do it your self.

If your boat doesn't sell it is your fault.

My boat's only 4 years old and inside it's immaculate.  A few paint chips and marks on the stern doors and the usual marks on the blacking from locks but otherwise great.  Certainly no scrape marks on the sides from bushes and branches etc.

I've stepped on a few which smell badly and with super-spongey floors too!

When you want to sell it you could put details on the Aintree Beetle owners facebook page, someone recently asked if the one I sold over a year ago is still available.   They seem to sell very quickly, Aqueduct marina have brokered some recently and they don't have them for long.

On 14/01/2020 at 23:30, Alan de Enfield said:

If your boat doesn't sell it is your fault.

For a reasonably popular type of boat for the location etc. I bought a longer boat than most people want for cruising which had been for sale for a little while. I'm very happy with it (and, am not far off being able to single hand confidently).

When I looked at similar (but less nice) boats in London they were selling quicker than the one I bought becasue there are more liveaboards and bigger locks there than some places.

I'm selling a shorter boat which I imagine will take a little while as it is a tug which is a more niche market.

@NB DW's boat will probably be expensive for a second hand boat because it is pretty new and in good nick. For people with (nearly) enough money to buy a new boat it might be tempting to get 'particular' about things which are to individual taste etc so that could also take longer to sell. E.g. When I looked at new/nearly new boats I found far too much space (for me) wasted on kitchen cabinets in bright colours seemed to be popular but equally I wasn't prepared to have to paint over nearly new cabinets and downgrade their finish.

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

32 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

I'm selling a shorter boat which I imagine will take a little while as it is a tug which is a more niche market.

@NB DW's boat will probably be expensive for a second hand boat because it is pretty new and in good nick. For people with (nearly) enough money to buy a new boat it might be tempting to get 'particular' about things which are to individual taste etc so that could also take longer to sell. E.g. When I looked at new/nearly new boats I found far too much space (for me) wasted on kitchen cabinets in bright colours seemed to be popular but equally I wasn't prepared to have to paint over nearly new cabinets and downgrade their finish.

Both of those points are exactly the reason that they need to priced at 'market rate'.

It is no use pricing a 45 foot tug at the same price as a 45 foot cruiser stern boat. The markets are very different is both size and requirements. Few people want to sleep in a 'coffin' under the deck (for example).

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Both of those points are exactly the reason that they need to priced at 'market rate'.

It is no use pricing a 45 foot tug at the same price as a 45 foot cruiser stern boat. The markets are very different is both size and requirements. Few people want to sleep in a 'coffin' under the deck (for example).

I kind of agree (and priced my tug by looking at other tugs)... but there will be people out there who love whatever taste @NB DW's boat is fitted out to suit and equally there will be people who just wouldn't want it at any price. I certainly looked at boats I wouldn't have wanted at any price simply because I didn't have the time to refit everything/want to waste perfectly good things which didn't suit me.

I'm not sure that there is a price point where anyone who thinks of sleeping under a tug deck as being in a 'coffin' will suddenly start thinking it is such good value they will give it a shot. And similarly there is no rate at which I would want a second (young child's) cabin next to an engine room (hence tug sale). So, 'yes' to market rates, but also... some markets are bigger than others and that makes a difference.

Boats are (usually) depreciating assets so someone has to want to piddle away money on what they are buying.

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

Thanks people.

New my boat would be £36K.  The broker who appraised said it'd go up for £29K - £29.5K with an offer expected somewhere close to this.

For those looking for a small, modern boat, they're likely to be aware of the Beetle and that it pretty much comes with just one layout.

I'm a member of the Beetle Owners group and it was likely me that asked if your boat was still for sale!