Lock cottage

Ian F B

Featured Posts

Just seen an item regarding renovating a lock side cottage on the Cromford canal.Architect said it was a problem getting material on site due to lack of access!

I always thought canals were built to carry stuff in boats!??.

You're quite right, it would be a nice thing to do and also make appealing marketing.

I guess the fact that this end of The Cromford is cut off from the rest of The Cromford let alone the network would make it trifficult.

I seem to remember the only boat based at the basin is Birdswood which although large earns its living as a trip boat.

It'd be expensive to bring in a boat with a hold by road (and remove it afterwards) even compared to a temporary track for dumper trucks etc.

As always in these things costs are primary.  Ideally I'd like to see a boat used and also a narrow gage railway.  What I worry about is after they've done the cottage what happens then?  It's located in an isolated spot which unless there's also money for planning, car parking & access, mains services etc.  I can't see it being occupied, so how long before the Amber Valley scrotes visit it?

There’s an isolated lock cottage on the Grantham Canal that’s been empty for years. No electric supply, no mains sewage and access is across the disused lock from the towpath. It failed to sell at a ridiculous price a few years ago, and is currently owned by the local estate and not CRT

It was a real time capsule with old furniture, cooking ranges etc but unfortunately had a few too many visitors after appearing on “Derelict Places” website many times. Some tw@t set fire to it last year but I heard it has recently been bought and restoration started.