Fuel tank rust

Featured Posts

On 28/02/2020 at 14:39, Alan de Enfield said:

People get easily confused by paperwork - after all there is so much paperwork with owning an inland waterway boat !

Maybe they meant the RCD (its still 3 letters)

RCD, BSS, must both be the same, both got three letters.....

I have an old wet-n-dry vac with a length of stiff 15mm plastic pipe in the hose end.  It will go through the fuel filler. It serves as bilge cleaner, sump oil shifter, honey tank purger and fuel tank sump emptier. Its the easy way but don't do petrol tanks or let it overfill when doing diesel else the white smoke becomes alarming.

Its never set on fire----yet.

If yours does I will fetch you grapes in hospital.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have an old wet-n-dry vac with a length of stiff 15mm plastic pipe in the hose end.  It will go through the fuel filler. It serves as bilge cleaner, sump oil shifter, honey tank purger and fuel tank sump emptier. Its the easy way but don't do petrol tanks or let it overfill when doing diesel else the white smoke becomes alarming.

Its never set on fire----yet.

If yours does I will fetch you grapes in hospital.

I would suggests an almost zero chance of a vacuum cleaner setting fire to diesel even if you flooded the motor but with a wet and dry that should be impossible. Definitely don't let anything that sparks anywhere near petrol and the cleaner motor brushes will spark unless it a so called digital stepper type motor.

Interesting article in one of my classic car club magazines about ethanol blended fuels. Tests showed that ethanol blended fuels attracts and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and once it reachs a certain level of concentration the ethanol/water mix will phase separate from the fuel. Not normally to much of a problem. However if the tank is left for extended periods with a blended mix the resulting concentrated mix of water/ethanol will sink to the bottom of the tank and this is highly corrosive.  Once a small quantity of water settles at the bottom of the tank it will sit there permanently absorbing ethanol and corroding the metal. Recently discovered this -Sta-bil fuel stabilizer which I`ve added to my classics for the first time this year and will add to my boat next winter layup. I`ve no connection with the company and yet to see what results are forth coming.