Fuel tank rust

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Deano1988 said:

This is the tank area in engine bay. Just making sure the 1 with the handle on is for the lubricant for the propeller? 

Do you all think fuel polishing will do the trick?

Thanks dean

20200104_140653.jpg

I'd be more than a little concerned about the unconnected diesel pipe, and the 'yellow' drain tap (that alone is a Boat safety test failure)

Is the fuel tank drain fitted with a plug or cap which can only be removed with tools? 
Check each fuel tank for the presence of a fuel drain facility.
If present, check the drain outlet for the presence of a plug,
cap or blank.
If present, the outlets from fuel tank drains
and drain valves must be terminated with a
‘tools‐to‐remove’ plug, cap or blank.

Hopefully you have just disconnected them whilst you sort out you fuel problem , but if not then you now know you must have a 'tool needed to remove' fitting on the ends of the pipes.

The pipe with the red handle LOOKS LIKE it is the water supply for the propshaft, but without seeing where the other end goes, it could even be a bilge pump hose.

I'd also be concerned about the screw thread on the weed hatch lid securing clamp. Looks like it is probably seized up, needs oiling and screwing up and down to lube the thread, or when you come to need to use the hatch to clear the prop it might not undo or even snap if too much force is used on the handle.

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I'd also be concerned about the screw thread on the weed hatch lid securing clamp. Looks like it is probably seized up, needs oiling and screwing up and down to lube the thread, or when you come to need to use the hatch to clear the prop it might not undo or even snap if too much force is used on the handle.

Particularly as the handle looks like a wooden 'T' on the metal shaft.

OTOH the (currently illegal) drain may help with cleaning the tank.

For £6 odd I'd buy one of those pumps from Ebay, that I depicted in post 24. They really suck well and will suck up sludge and small particals of rust. Just poke the bendy plastic pick up pipe into the fuel filler. You can bend the pipe better if its heated a bit with hot water to reach all corners of the tank. You will need some old cans to pump the mucky fuel into.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd be more than a little concerned about the unconnected diesel pipe, and the 'yellow' drain tap (that alone is a Boat safety test failure)

Is the fuel tank drain fitted with a plug or cap which can only be removed with tools? 
Check each fuel tank for the presence of a fuel drain facility.
If present, check the drain outlet for the presence of a plug,
cap or blank.
If present, the outlets from fuel tank drains
and drain valves must be terminated with a
‘tools‐to‐remove’ plug, cap or blank.

Hopefully you have just disconnected them whilst you sort out you fuel problem , but if not then you now know you must have a 'tool needed to remove' fitting on the ends of the pipes.

The pipe with the red handle LOOKS LIKE it is the water supply for the propshaft, but without seeing where the other end goes, it could even be a bilge pump hose.

The fuel tank was disconnected and put to temp tank while I got the engine started (it's now running fine) just don't want to reattach tk the tank until it is sorted.

The only drain for the fuel is the yellow tap in picture. 

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

I will have a look tomorrow at the handle and take some lubricant. The handle is metal

So this is a weed hatch? What is the pipe for it goes to the prop shaft?

8 minutes ago, Deano1988 said:

The fuel tank was disconnected and put to temp tank while I got the engine started (it's now running fine) just don't want to reattach tk the tank until it is sorted.

I will have a look tomorrow at the handle and take some lubricant. The handle is metal

So this is a weed hatch? What is the pipe for it goes to the prop shaft?

You probably have a rubber Cutless water lubricated sterntube bearing, Vetus possibly and the tube is to vent it to the weed box to allow canal water to run up inside the the cutless bearing to lubricate and keep it cool.

Edited by bizzard

10 minutes ago, Deano1988 said:

That is the one that to be granted a safety Certificate, MUST be closed such that it can only be operated using a 'tool'. This is to avoid (little hands, or accidently opening) it filling your bilge with 100's of litres of fuel then your bilge pump pumping it all out into the canal.

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is the one that to be granted a safety Certificate, MUST be closed such that it can only be operated using a 'tool'. This is to avoid (little hands, or accidently opening) it filling your bilge with 100's of litres of fuel then your bilge pump pumping it all out into the canal.

Thanks for that I will have to get this done because it defo doesn't have this 

Cheers

2 hours ago, Deano1988 said:

Do you all think fuel polishing will do the trick?

It won’t get rid of any of the crud in bottom of the tank. How much fuel is in the tank?  If it’s not worth loads more than £200 then why polish it?  Dump it at your local tip and then cut an access hole and get the tank cleared of all the gunk while it’s empty. 

37 minutes ago, Deano1988 said:

Thanks for that I will have to get this done because it defo doesn't have this 

Removing the handle should do it. That just leaves a little stub sticking up which requires tools (like the handle) to undo. 

37 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Removing the handle should do it. That just leaves a little stub sticking up which requires tools (like the handle) to undo. 

The appropriate suzed BSP threaded cap would be much better, preferably with a fibre disc seal inside it as this looks like a parallel threaded valve fitting. Get a hexagonal cap (some are round) and it can then readily be fitted and removed with a spanner.

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2020 at 18:27, bizzard said:

I use this weapon to suck fuel and muck out of fuel tanks. Its really a fuel transfer pump for use on 40 gallon drums.  It pumps like anything. Note the pump handle on to which you w--k up and down. The pick up tube is long and pretty flexible and will bend around corners. Its called a Marksman pump bought it on Ebay for £6 something.

Lady G Get one of these. Marksman hand fuel transfer pump brilliant and powerful, £8 odd on Ebay.   Page 1, post 22

Edited by bizzard

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

I would have done, but can't find them on Ebay. Plus, It's quite a long way ftom bottom of tank to bottom of bilge.

Will this work?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Manual-Syphon-Siphon-Barrel-Pump-Extractor-Fuels-Diesel-Oil-Petrol-Water-UK/312868703611?

or this by Marksman

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Manual-Plastic-Oil-Fuel-Extractor-Pump-Siphon-Tube-Hose-Liquid-Transfer-Pipe/164034442990?

Edited by LadyG

Found one on eBay.

Seller partsdaddyuk

Search for...

Manual Large Hand Syphon Siphon Barrel Pump Fuels Diesel Oil Petrol Water (DP30)

Finally... got a link...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manual-Large-Hand-Syphon-Siphon-Barrel-Pump-Fuels-Diesel-Oil-Petrol-Water-DP30/132379718020

Edited by WotEver
  • Greenie 1

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

I would have done, but can't find them on Ebay. Plus, It's quite a long way ftom bottom of tank 

or this by Marksman

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Manual-Plastic-Oil-Fuel-Extractor-Pump-Siphon-Tube-Hose-Liquid-Transfer-Pipe/164034442990?

I use this one, with the pipe attached to a thin length of wood (a garden cane will do the job) with cable ties. This keeps the pipe straight and you can be certain it is sucking up from the bottom but it is difficult to get into the sides. The plastic version mentioned in the previous post may be flexible for this so worth a try.

Edited by rgreg
Typo

59 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Found one on eBay.

Seller partsdaddyuk

Search for...

Manual Large Hand Syphon Siphon Barrel Pump Fuels Diesel Oil Petrol Water (DP30)

Finally... got a link...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manual-Large-Hand-Syphon-Siphon-Barrel-Pump-Fuels-Diesel-Oil-Petrol-Water-DP30/132379718020

That's the one. You can see the big red nut on it that screws into the 40 gallon drums.

1 hour ago, Ianws said:

Would this be good for siphoning from a 25l drum to the fuel tank. The description mentions a pump but it’s hard to see on the pictures.

Yes.... Thats exactly what it's designed for. You create a vacuum by pumping the concertina like bit at the top and, once the fuel gets past the junction, it continues to flow.

On 02/01/2020 at 21:25, Bee said:

Best thing is to make a project out of this and do it properly. Where is the tank?  If it is possible then cut a 6" dia. hole or so , drill a ring of small holes, enlarge them and with a cold chisel (Not a wood chisel) bash the disc out. then you can drain the gunge out and swab the rust and crap out and start again. Fix a plate over the hole, drill and tap bolt holes and with a decent gasket fix the whole lot back together. That is what I did. Its a horrible job but I can check every year now. If that is impossible then all  you can do is flush it many times and do the best you can.

This seems like a good idea to me but will it have any implications with the BSS  like needing a second Pressure test with the new access hole plate in position ???????

31 minutes ago, tosher said:

This seems like a good idea to me but will it have any implications with the BSS  like needing a second Pressure test with the new access hole plate in position ???????

Does the BSS really state that the fuel tank needs to be pressure tested ?

I think the answer you are looking for contains two-letters.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Does the BSS really state that the fuel tank needs to be pressure tested ?

People here seem to get terribly mixed up between things that are mandatory and things that are just good practice. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

People here seem to get terribly mixed up between things that are mandatory and things that are just good practice. 

People get easily confused by paperwork - after all there is so much paperwork with owning an inland waterway boat !

Maybe they meant the RCD (its still 3 letters)

The RCD actually requires that there are hatches incorporated in the tank to allow for cleaning - how many NB's have that ?

(Not a lot of people know that)

The harmonised standard is BS EN ISO 21487 Permanently installed petrol and diesel fuel tanks
Guidance:
A means to indicate the acceptable test pressure of the fuel tank is required, along with details of a test.

Under the harmonised standard, an inspection hatch (or hatches) need to be fitted to each tank,
with a minimum diameter of 120 mm (5") or equivalent to enable cleaning and inspection to the
lower part of the tank. Each hatch may be fitted to the side or top of the tank and needs to be fueltight.
Portable fuel tanks (not exceeding 27 litres) are outside the scope of the Directive.

Edited by Alan de Enfield