Repacking the stern gland

DannyC

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Answered in May and November 2019 so I am not going to waste my time writing it all out again.

You sound terribly irritated by what seems to be a pretty calm question.

Perhaps, rather than "writing it all out again" you could just link to the posts where you've previously answered the query. Not everyone is a search tool god.

Edited by Onionman

1 minute ago, Onionman said:

You sound terribly irritated by what seems to be a pretty calm question.

Perhaps you could have linked to the posts where you've previously answered the query. Not everyone is a search tool god.

Have you tried the Search?  It is much better than it used to be.

30 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Then I must have lost some skill as I find it no better.

I agree. Serch on this site is pretty poor.

To answer the OPs question. :-

1) Wind down on the greaser to make sure the gland is well greased

2) Undo the nuts on the packing 'pusher' and slide back 

3) Check the gap between the shaft and the stern gland using a twist drill. Odds are it will be 6 or 8mm.

Edited by Slim
Spelling

55 minutes ago, Slim said:

3) Check the gap between the shaft and the stern gland using a twist drill. Odds are it will be 6 or 8mm.

Or even follow the link I gave in post 2

8 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

As this comes up several times a year AND putting "stern gland packing" into the search easily throws up multiple answers so I am irritated. Far too often new  member come on and ask for information that has been given many, many times before. It seem they can't be bothered to make any effort for themselves and give the impression they demand spoon feeding. Actually its worse than that because there are so many different types of stern gland that without a means of identifying the type the OP has may well result in wrong advice. Far too often m embers respond with well meant advice based on just one or a very few boats and that may well be wrong. The OP may even have a packless gland and only thinks it neds repacking because he was told or read it. He probably does not but IU would love to know how you know exactly what advice he needs.

Tony is far too busy driving out to help boaters in trouble with things that they can't get answers to on here by just looking. Bless him, not many would go to the trouble especially at New Year. 

The search function works well enough to find the answers 99 times out of 100, its as good as most other forums, better than some. Shame that folk make no use of it.

Sam.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Slim said:

That answer  assumes the OP's stern gland has a pusher. They are by no means universal.

8 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

The search function works well enough to find the answers 99 times out of 100, its as good as most other forums, better than some. Shame that folk make no use of it.

Sam.

I'm with Sam and Tony here.

The search function is well able to handle specific technical issues to get some basic input before asking a question and will at least show if there have been recent threads. Do a search.......then ask the question.

And yet if someone comes on asking the million'th time question on here, My battery is flat as a pancake, what can I do, or, I've something queer happening, my charging light keeps winking at me, all the electrical expurts chip in instantly with no mention of sending them off to the search box.

Edited by bizzard

20 minutes ago, bizzard said:

And yet if someone comes on asking the million'th time question on here, My battery is flat as a pancake, what can I do, or, I've something queer happening, my charging light keeps winking at me, all the electrical expurts chip in instantly with no mention of sending them off to the search box.

....but there are a million reasons why that could happen and it isnt easy to search to find your problem. For a specific issue of packing size, it is pretty easy to find threads that cover the issue.

• Greenie 1