Coalcage®

CompairHolman

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I'm going to start selling quartz crystals to stick on the ends of ecofan blades and dynamically realign the stoves chakras as they spin. Will save you a fortune in fuel, prevent the glass from getting covered in soot, keep the black "lead" shiny and stop the flue pipe getting clagged up.

Jen

If only your crystals would prevent the brasswork from tarnishing as well as their other advantages I would have bought some. ?  

Edited by cuthound
To remove a duplicate post

1 minute ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

Looking at the way (in the video at least) it seems to create a concentrated plume of heat I predict it will be very good for sales of baffle plates....what colour crystal do you sell to help please?

Never mind all that, this coalcage is EXACTLY the sort of thing the less discerning boaters buy in droves. Like a poor man's Axiom prop.

I think you should stock them in your chandlery, they'll sell like hot cakes. And get some stocks of baffle plates in, too.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I'm going to start selling quartz crystals to stick on the ends of ecofan blades and dynamically realign the stoves chakras as they spin. Will save you a fortune in fuel, prevent the glass from getting covered in soot, keep the black "lead" shiny and stop the flue pipe getting clagged up.

Jen

That's what I did!!! It cured my embarrassing itch and my dogs awful breath!!!.

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...

Since the hype on these things is still going strong I had a rummage in the steel scrap bin and made an ersatz version which took all of 15 mins.  I tested it out with 12 nuts of Stoveglow and it burnt for 7.5 hours for a medium heat on a not very cold night, the next night I put 12 nuts of the same in a pyramid on the grate and they burnt for 5.5 hrs on the same air control, so taking into account the variables and only one test result that was mostly by eye as to the end of timing, no significant difference. 

IMG_20201008_235113.jpg.0b6555d0217966d393ed2a9dd8bb712a.jpg

Having said that I tested it out with house coal and i did see an effect , it slowed down the burning rate and burnt steadily up the stack and stopped the usual situation of the whole lot burning off the tar at once and choking itself with thick smoke, the large amount of powdery white ash that's usually left behind after burning house coal was not there. So this cage might have an unintentional use, but I believe bituminous coal is going to be banned for household use soon so that may well be of no use.

I still have no evidence its not just snake oil.

4 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

Since the hype on these things is still going strong I had a rummage in the steel scrap bin and made an ersatz version which took all of 15 mins.  I tested it out with 12 nuts of Stoveglow and it burnt for 7.5 hours for a medium heat on a not very cold night, the next night I put 12 nuts of the same in a pyramid on the grate and they burnt for 5.5 hrs on the same air control, so taking into account the variables and only one test result that was mostly by eye as to the end of timing, no significant difference. 

IMG_20201008_235113.jpg.0b6555d0217966d393ed2a9dd8bb712a.jpg

Having said that I tested it out with house coal and i did see an effect , it slowed down the burning rate and burnt steadily up the stack and stopped the usual situation of the whole lot burning off the tar at once and choking itself with thick smoke, the large amount of powdery white ash that's usually left behind after burning house coal was not there. So this cage might have an unintentional use, but I believe bituminous coal is going to be banned for household use soon so that may well be of no use.

I still have no evidence its not just snake oil.

What hype?

Where?

• 2 months later...

Have been hearing a lot about these cages but glad to see some down to earth reviews on here?. I agree they might make sense for keeping in a very small fire when it's not that cold and if your stove is too big for your needs, stops the coal collapsing outwards in a large stove. But when you need the stove full it's pointless and fiddly to top up.