Goodnight folks

MHS

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, MHS said:

Cruising in the dark has a mystical feeling. This was early this morning, no-one around, nothing else moving as I set off at 06.00. Wendy (full of cold) was sleeping, so I left early to catch up lost ground. 

Please do post your photos, mine was just snapped on my iPhone as didn’t have my good camera aboard. 

1741138C-005E-470C-A7C1-98F070602DF9.jpeg

Very atmospheric, nice picture.

56 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I LURVE cruising at night. 

Here is one of my best pics....

7DE1A3E5-4E73-4013-92D8-7141A31C91CB.jpeg

Can we safely assume that you have now got SmartGauge to calibrate the aperture and timer settings in your camera?

• Unimpressed 1

11 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Can we safely assume that you have now got SmartGauge to calibrate the aperture and timer settings in your camera?

Let you into a secret Alan, I took that photo using my wireless telephone

Are you trying to 'out-20th-century' that nice Mr Athy???! 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Let you into a secret Alan, I took that photo using my wireless telephone

Are you trying to 'out-20th-century' that nice Mr Athy???!

I wouldn't dream of even trying - I know I wouldn't have a chance.

However it looks like your "wireless telephone" may have some kind of fault, as it seems it is actually managing to send "20th" after you have keyed in "19th".

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I wouldn't dream of even trying - I know I wouldn't have a chance.

Well, I have a 21st century boat. Remind me, in which century were yours built? The same would apply to at least two of MtB's fleet, I think.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Well, I have a 21st century boat. Remind me, in which century were yours built? The same would apply to at least two of MtB's fleet, I think.

I didn't think Mike's remarks were related to anything connected with ages of boats, but I'm happy to be corrected if I've got that wrong!

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I didn't think Mike's remarks were related to anything connected with ages of boats, but I'm happy to be corrected if I've got that wrong!

His comment was a more general one: "Are you trying to out-20th century" him? In terms of your boats, you have succeeded in doing so.

7 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It was more to do with our nice Mr Athy's 'in character' failure to grasp the concept of a telephone without a wire joining it to the wall, or using one to take photographs! 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Change a stray worm

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It was more to do with our nice Mr Athy's 'in character' failure to grasp the concept of a telephone without a wire joining it to the wall, or using one to take photographs! 

Yes, I think we got the joke. 

Nonetheless, our boat's newer than your boat. Well, most of it is.

On 02/01/2020 at 22:28, Stilllearning said:

The best trip I ever undertook singlehanded was Bancroft basin to Tewkesbury, leaving at 2 pm, arriving at 3 am. The night was beautiful, peaceful and with a good moon for visibility.

We decided spontaneously, to go to aylesbury fireworks do in about 1986 or so. Finishing work at 6 pm on nov 4 we got home from work in Rickmansworth and hand cranked the lister. 
I still after all these years remember boating up towards the summit , as the frost formed on the boat. 

I think we tied at about 2 am. Then up at dawn to get ahead.

Fantastic.

They couldnt believe it when we rocked up.

on the sixth we boated to the summit, and cycled home to the butty at Ricky, picking up the motor the next weekend.

Brought a 44' yacht up the Thames tideway to South Dock at night about 10 years ago. Got the tide wrong and wound up outside lock several hours early. Couldn't find the holding pontoon ( later found out it had been swept away) . Spent 2-3 hours jinking around just below Limehouse. To start with it was magical, By the end I was tired, cold and bored. 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Thames Tideway boating this evening ?

I did Limehouse to Teddington at night once and navigating some of those bridges in the dark can be quite disorientating. It's sometimes tricky to judge the approach angles until you get up quite close, especially the bridges further out of London which aren't lit up by the city.