New to boats and boating

Aunti Sam

Featured Posts

40 minutes ago, cuthound said:

My trad boat has an oversized hatch, which allows up to 3 people (including the steerer) to comfortably stand in front of the stern doors without compromising the steerer.

Even with the stern doors closed, to keep our GSD  from escaping, it is fine for myself and my wife.

In inclement weather the hatch can be closed up to the steerers chest, thus keeping most of the rain out and the heat inside the boat. 

20190711_150546.jpg

Likewise but mine has the usual small hatch on top of the big one so when cruising in the wet a cagoule can be spread over the hatch, stern doors closed and only the steerer gets damp. Its also a lot lighter to open from inside than the big hatch.

Surprised more trads are not built with larger hatches, much better than the semitrads which are uncomfortable to sit in along the sides, have to have 2 sets of doors and seem to attract rust more than a cruiser stern.

Edited by Boater Sam
smellings & Added
  • Greenie 1

Ah, that makes sense. My trads are a lot more 'trad' (even the one with the engine at the back as opposed to resplendent in its own room). One is based on a working boat, the other, whilst a relaxing pleasure to drive, is primarily about being a great liveaboard rather than optimised for cruising. 

On 01/01/2020 at 15:24, Boater Sam said:

Unless you intend to cruise continuously and can meet C&RT rules so doing, you need to find somewhere to moor your boat before you buy it, moorings are more difficult to find than boats.

Is this a residential boat or weekending? Residential moorings a even more difficult to find. ( Than hens' teeth )

I can't say for residential moorings as I've never looked for one but I imagine they are hard to come by, but Ive never had any trouble finding a marina leisure mooring. We were looking to move marina last year and made enquiries at a few and all had a few spaces available. We ended up moving to one in Northamptonshire and they had a few spaces left. I guess some areas of the system are better served than others. Ive bought a number of boats from brokerages based in marinas and they have always offered a mooring so if you visit brokers it might be worth asking, it saves the hassle and stress of having to find a mooring straight away.

On 02/01/2020 at 19:51, David Mack said:

ANT will only issue short term licences (up to 30 days) for boats without a home mooring. For a long term ANT licence you must have a permanent mooring.

Just out of curiosity, does the long term mooring have to be on the Avon? Or can it be on adjacent CRT waters?

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Just out of curiosity, does the long term mooring have to be on the Avon? Or can it be on adjacent CRT waters?

If the mooring is on CRT waters then you would be a visitor on the Avon which the longest visitor license is 30 days.

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The ANT website just says you must have a permanent mooring, it doesn't specify where. But I guess if a boater with a permanent mooring did apply for a long term licence, he/she would find out what is acceptable to ANT.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Amsterdam Private Boat said:

I'm also new to boating [spam link deleted] and will be looking at a boat in the next few days. I'm also curious about maintenance. Everyone seems to say - as long as the boat is properly maintained, it will last for a long time. But nobody really talks about what is included in the maintenance.

reported,

2 hours ago, Amsterdam Private Boat said:

I'm also new to boating (spam off) and will be looking at a boat in the next few days. I'm also curious about maintenance. Everyone seems to say - as long as the boat is properly maintained, it will last for a long time. But nobody really talks about what is included in the maintenance.

Here we go:

I have a 57ft trad, far bigger than necessary for a holiday boat. Over fifteen years old, so rather dated. Not rusty.

Painting: necessary for rust prevention and aesthetics. 

Exterior 16l @£20 /l £320

Interior 8l @ £10/l £80

Tools £50

Personal protection £50

Sandpaper, cleaning fluid, brushes, rollers, masking tape, special coatings, £100

Total £600

Timescale 12 months, painting out doors is very problematic, painting in a covered shed will be more intensive, more expensive. more exhausting. I did this while my enthusiasm was at it's peak, not essential to do the whole thing, but I think it has been cost effective. Should last eight years, so cost/annum about £100

Boat Safety £160 [lasts four years]

Gas upgrade £100 [minor work, one off]

Electrics upgrade labour £900 [major work, one off], ,

Engine 2 x 5l  Classic oil £60, 5l gearbox ATF £17, 2 x oil filters 2 fuel filters. alternator belt [a spare] £15 Total £92.

Fuel tank emptied and 30l of mucky stuff removed, cost £50, labor and materials.

Stove maintenance [safety issue £66 [one off]

Interior upgrade: laminate £56, oak trim £200, wood glue, varnish etc £20, flooring £300, new curtains £200, new upholstery £800, new cupboard doors £100. Cupboard handles £24.

To do list 2020-21

Vinyl decals £300

Line cabin below gunwales £300

Replace fireplace tiles, materials £100

Replace interior flue collar labour and materials £100

Maintenance to engine exhaust labour plus materials £50

Go boating

Edited by LadyG