New to boats and boating

Aunti Sam

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Aunti Sam said:

Hi there

My name is Aunti Sam. Myself and hubby intend to buy a boat this year, we are both retired and looking forward to a new adventure :) so I'll be asking silly questions for a bit...

Welcome to CWDF!

Don't worry about asking questions. It is better to ask them beforehand, and think that you might seem silly, than not to ask them, and then realise afterwards that you had been! So ask away.

What size of boat are you considering? New or second-hand? Whereabouts in the country would you intend to keep it?

Hi! thanks so much for your reply! Yes, I think asking silly questions is better than finding out you've been barking up the wrong tree. 

We're looking at getting a second-hand +/- 57' narrowboat with a cruiser stern, standard layout and will start off in the Avon area since my brother lives there. I've been researching as much as I can and it seems that, as much research as you do, it still depends on the boat.

1 hour ago, Aunti Sam said:

Hi! thanks so much for your reply! Yes, I think asking silly questions is better than finding out you've been barking up the wrong tree. 

We're looking at getting a second-hand +/- 57' narrowboat with a cruiser stern, standard layout and will start off in the Avon area since my brother lives there. I've been researching as much as I can and it seems that, as much research as you do, it still depends on the boat.

Which Avon as there is more than one...?

Unless you intend to cruise continuously and can meet C&RT rules so doing, you need to find somewhere to moor your boat before you buy it, moorings are more difficult to find than boats.

Is this a residential boat or weekending? Residential moorings a even more difficult to find. ( Than hens' teeth )

Cruiser would be much more social for a mainly summer trip boat (although why the flip you'd have standard layout for that I do not know... Walking through a bedroom/engine room/... to get to catering is rubbish). 

For a liveaboard trad has more useful space with/without an engine room. (I currently have one of each - both lovely in their own way).

Have my 'first mate' (a minor) not be able to share the stern deck with me is a draw back for cruising (although little one does v well being 'look out' on tug deck). Wd imagine that if OP is find of her husband they may wish to share a little! 

13 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Cruiser would be much more social for a mainly summer trip boat (although why the flip you'd have standard layout for that I do not know... Walking through a bedroom/engine room/... to get to catering is rubbish). 

For a liveaboard trad has more useful space with/without an engine room. (I currently have one of each - both lovely in their own way).

Have my 'first mate' (a minor) not be able to share the stern deck with me is a draw back for cruising (although little one does v well being 'look out' on tug deck). Wd imagine that if OP is find of her husband they may wish to share a little! 

We have a trad and it doesn't stop us sharing

Hi Aunti Sam, it’s great to know that there will be other new boaters joining me this year.
I joined this forum only a couple of months ago as I am a retiree returning to the UK after many years of living abroad.

At the moment I am still in Thailand (34 degrees) and as everyone keeps telling me it is a bit (ha, ha!) cooler in the UK. Yes, I do know as I was born in Scarborough 66 years ago.
My dates are very soon and I hope to find something already this month!

I will be a single-handed continuous cruiser as my partner needs to work in London but with 21st century communication that has not been a problem, and who knows?, I also might meet someone along the way who might like to join me and share some lock duties whilst having a free holiday?

Anyway, I would like to wish you and your partner (and all other members of this forum) the very best 2020.

Welcome ...
Neil

Hi everybody - it seems like I've stirred up a hornets nest (pun intended), with my first couple of posts.

Not sure how to reply individually so will answer everything here -

Hi Rob-M - Which Avon: my brother lives close to Stratford-Upon-Avon, we live in Johannesburg, South Africa so that is something I will have to investigate further when we relocate soon.

Hi Boater Sam - our intention is to CC at first and enjoy the scenery.

Hi Ditchcrawler - thank you for your comments.

Hi Mark99 - many thanks for your welcome :) no, not especially dead set on a cruiser stern but would enjoy some 'outside' space

Hi Restless Nomad - thanks so much for your welcome :) take care

Hi TheMenagerieAfloat - thank you for your comments, we are still just looking and live about 6000kms away so will research properly on site - two OAPs and two teeny geriatric dogs, thanks

Hi Gayzingalone - Hey there Neil! I've lived in SA since the 70s so relocating back to UK is going to be quite interesting! Its about 30 C here - pretty warm but not as humid as where you are :) I'm coming over in a couple of months to do boat hunting and hubby will join me later in the year so there is a good chance we will meet up, that would be great! Take care and hopefully connect soon :) Have a brilliant 2020 too!

phew!

20 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

We have a trad and it doesn't stop us sharing

One of mine allows a tiny bit of sharing (with occasional ducking under tiller). The other you really can't share sensibly at all. That tiller is set up 'handed' and longer so with it one side and steerer the other it isn't possible to share. Certainly I wouldn't share either with tiny dogs. Semi-trad might be great for them as they (and non-steering partner) can be contained comfortably.  

Also depends how twisty your canals are (more/less tiller ducking). 

49 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

One of mine allows a tiny bit of sharing (with occasional ducking under tiller). The other you really can't share sensibly at all. That tiller is set up 'handed' and longer so with it one side and steerer the other it isn't possible to share. Certainly I wouldn't share either with tiny dogs. Semi-trad might be great for them as they (and non-steering partner) can be contained comfortably.  

Also depends how twisty your canals are (more/less tiller ducking). 

I also managed fine with the wife and two labradors. 

If you want to be based near to Stratford upon Avon, but will be CC’ing, then the Warwickshire Avon may not be a good place to base yourselves.  If don’t know if you know that the Warwickshire Avon has its own independent navigation authority (Avon Navigation Trust) so you would need a licence from them, not CRT, and I don’t know if they allow Cc’ing for boats based on their river, so you would need a home mooring.  The Avon is a river that likes to flood, and will be unnavigable for part of the year.  You would need an additional CRT licence if you want to leave the Avon at either Stratford or Tewkesbury.

Depending exactly where close to Stratford your brother lives I would suggest you look at basing yourself on the main CRT canal network, and it is not exactly far from Stratford to say Napton which would be a lot simpler place to start off.  There are also plenty of marinas there if you need short term or winter moorings.

51 minutes ago, john6767 said:

the Warwickshire Avon has its own independent navigation authority (Avon Navigation Trust) so you would need a licence from them, not CRT, and I don’t know if they allow Cc’ing for boats based on their river,

ANT will only issue short term licences (up to 30 days) for boats without a home mooring. For a long term ANT licence you must have a permanent mooring.

38 minutes ago, David Mack said:

ANT will only issue short term licences (up to 30 days) for boats without a home mooring. For a long term ANT licence you must have a permanent mooring.

Thanks I suspected that was the case.  So the Avon does not work for the OP, although they can visit it of course.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I also managed fine with the wife and two labradors. 

Labradors are (on average, one imagines) more static and less likely to get kicked in than the little terrirorists I associate with. 

And, tbf, I've yet to steer either of mine with anyone I either am/wish to be in a sexual relationship with.

On phone so cannot edit the infant First Mate out of the snap I have easily but def entirety of stern deck is within tiller arm movement... On that one one steers most comfortably where the doors can close behind one. On the other one is exactly on the lintel with brass head-height (for those in boatman's cabin) controls in front so the non-steerer goes behind but had to duck under on occasion. 

Wd be curious to see how others fit their loved ones on?

Thanks everyone for the advice - we are such newbies that I'm pretty sure all our ideas will go out the window very soon. Hubby is now dead set on a layout I don't like; I'm aware of the licence issues regarding Avon and will look at that again more closely.

It's all getting complicated......

2 hours ago, Aunti Sam said:

Thanks everyone for the advice - we are such newbies that I'm pretty sure all our ideas will go out the window very soon. Hubby is now dead set on a layout I don't like; I'm aware of the licence issues regarding Avon and will look at that again more closely.

It's all getting complicated......

do tell us!

Edited by robtheplod

15 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Labradors are (on average, one imagines) more static and less likely to get kicked in than the little terrirorists I associate with. 

And, tbf, I've yet to steer either of mine with anyone I either am/wish to be in a sexual relationship with.

On phone so cannot edit the infant First Mate out of the snap I have easily but def entirety of stern deck is within tiller arm movement... On that one one steers most comfortably where the doors can close behind one. On the other one is exactly on the lintel with brass head-height (for those in boatman's cabin) controls in front so the non-steerer goes behind but had to duck under on occasion. 

Wd be curious to see how others fit their loved ones on?

My trad boat has an oversized hatch, which allows up to 3 people (including the steerer) to comfortably stand in front of the stern doors without compromising the steerer.

Even with the stern doors closed, to keep our GSD  from escaping, it is fine for myself and my wife.

In inclement weather the hatch can be closed up to the steerers chest, thus keeping most of the rain out and the heat inside the boat. 

20190711_150546.jpg

Edited by cuthound
Clarification