Cheap boat on flea bay?

bigcol

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say it would be a week's work and and grand in skips to tidy the boat up.

Maybe they have other things to do in life, or are no longer fit enough (like you presumably are!) , to tidy it up...

I agree, but who ever is selling the boat must be lonely, because surely a friend or himself would ask for help.

maybe the seller can’t see the rubbish ,

if whoever lives on this boat, then for definite he or she needs some help.

On 31/12/2019 at 11:07, WotEver said:

Note that it’s an auction though with 2.5 days still to go, so the price could escalate quickly. 

Yes, it can't really be described as a "cheap boat" until the final selling price is known. It might end up being cheap, it might not.

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes, it can't really be described as a "cheap boat" until the final selling price is known. It might end up being cheap, it might not.

Anyone who considers £15k 'cheap' for anything, must have money to burn and should have the £15k taken off them.

(MtB channelling the Corbinites here.) 

I purchased a house in need of some work, but it did have water frontage and a large shed that took up half of the small garden. The shed was rammed full of "stuff", a bit like the stuff in that boat but not as good. The inspired estate agent tried to turn the shed and contents into a positive feature, describing it as a "genuine boatmans shed".  ?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Anything? What about a tonne of pure gold? 

Yes.

If you have £15k to spend on something as useless as gold then it should be taken off you and given to the homeless, obviously. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bigcol said:

I agree, but who ever is selling the boat must be lonely, because surely a friend or himself would ask for help.

maybe the seller can’t see the rubbish ,

if whoever lives on this boat, then for definite he or she needs some help.

He is a single Bloke who has been on the Canal a couple of years , I saw the Boat moored at Campbell Park facing North over Christmas , one of the Fire on the Towpath Brigade he wont be missed . The owner reckons he is going into a House in February so possibly a bargain for someone as he clearly cant take it with him .

9 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

eBay have just sent me an email about this boat.  Why would they do that?  It's got an actual countdown in the email.

Same thing happened to me. I wonder how that works. 

46 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

eBay have just sent me an email about this boat.  Why would they do that?  It's got an actual countdown in the email.

They do that when your bid is accepted and the countdown shows how long someone has to beat your bid,  so unless it stops you can rest easy and look forward to a lovely new boat! Don't worry - no money comes out of your bank until the clock reaches zero, so you still have time to top up your account if you need to.

;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

They do that when your bid is accepted and the countdown shows how long someone has to beat your bid,  so unless it stops you can rest easy and look forward to a lovely new boat! Don't worry - no money comes out of your bank until the clock reaches zero, so you still have time to top up your account if you need to.

;)

Far canal, I didn't bid on it, £15.3k seems about right and no bargain to me. 4 mins to go.....

On 31/12/2019 at 13:53, Graham Davis said:

Why can't sellers at least make an effort to tidy up before they take photos??

They are doing any potential buyer a favour, if thats all the effort you take when trying to sell it gives us all an indication of how much care you have taken of the boat during your ownership. 

I recently bid on a fridge, was a bit annoyed that I had to increase my bid in steps of £10, but was outbid by £1.

Ebay then told me today that I had suddenly become the highest bidder due to a retracted bid.

The item was then withdrawn by the vendor, strange.

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I recently bid on a fridge, was a bit annoyed that I had to increase my bid in steps of £10, but was outbid by £1.

You did it wrong.

You look at the item and decide the absolute maximum you’ll be prepared to pay for it then enter that as your maximum bid. Then forget about it and wait for Ebay to inform you if you won it or not.

If you find that you were outbid by £1 then no matter, you’d already set your maximum bid. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

You did it wrong.

You look at the item and decide the absolute maximum you’ll be prepared to pay for it then enter that as your maximum bid. Then forget about it and wait for Ebay to inform you if you won it or not.

If you find that you were outbid by £1 then no matter, you’d already set your maximum bid. 

I do that but wait until the last few seconds before entering my bid, if it goes above your Max bid while your still watching it then move on. And always use a random number of pence at the end of your bid such as £150.57 , that way if someone goes to £150.00 , you will win.

Waiting until the last seconds doesn't give other bidders much chance to increase their Max bid if you overtake them.