towpath terror?

Boater Sam

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Don't quote me on this as I'm working from memory but I believe that if there is some sort of door between the "driving" area and the "home" area its OK.

Definite No No, if sitting in the driving area including passenger seat.

I've heard various things, including whether the keys are in the ignition.  In the end, it's down to the discretion of police officers to decide if they want to progress anything.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Presumably not illegal to pedal one at more than 15.5 mph though, rather than relying on the motor?

If so, it would be hard to prove!

Perfectly fine to pedal any bike over 15.5 mph. 

I don't believe speed limits apply to bicycles as they don't require speedometers and realistically nobody is going to get past 30 mph for any period of time unless they're professional standard.

I can catch e bikes using my normal bike but I'm sure I'm going to get passed on a hill one day by an e bike. If it's steep they have the advantage. 

13 minutes ago, cougie said:

I don't believe speed limits apply to bicycles as they don't require speedometers and realistically nobody is going to get past 30 mph for any period of time unless they're professional standard.

I can catch e bikes using my normal bike but I'm sure I'm going to get passed on a hill one day by an e bike. If it's steep they have the advantage. 

unless your in London's parks :)

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-cyclist-fined-for-speeding-in-richmond-park-after-he-is-clocked-at-38mph-a3102191.html

43 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

This can be a geniune problem for people with motorhomes when parked overnight outside of proper campsites.

the old trick used to be that you put the ignition (not door) key under one of the wheels.

I know of one lad that ended up with 9 points on his provisional license (no insurance / no qualified person in the vehicle + something else related) for sitting in his parents car while they were shopping, they had left the keys in the ignition and the engine running (for the heater), Put his driving back by years as his insurance jumped to 5 figures (which was 2 figures more than his car cost), it's the only time I have seen an insurance quote of over £10,000 (3rd party fire & theft) for a mini metro that was worth around £300

8 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

the old trick used to be that you put the ignition (not door) key under one of the wheels.

I know of one lad that ended up with 9 points on his provisional license (no insurance / no qualified person in the vehicle + something else related) for sitting in his parents car while they were shopping, they had left the keys in the ignition and the engine running (for the heater), Put his driving back by years as his insurance jumped to 5 figures (which was 2 figures more than his car cost), it's the only time I have seen an insurance quote of over £10,000 (3rd party fire & theft) for a mini metro that was worth around £300

I think I'd go to court over that if it was me.

56 minutes ago, cougie said:

What about the quarter of a mile or so past our local school with its 20mph limit?  I am sure some can and do go faster than they should.

42 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Ah that's that there London - odd things happen there. Don't think it was speeding - riding furiously is usually the charge. 

9 minutes ago, Jerra said:

What about the quarter of a mile or so past our local school with its 20mph limit?  I am sure some can and do go faster than they should.

Are they going past the cars ? 2 tonnes of metal at 20mph is  lot more dangerous than 80kilos doing 20mph. 

1 minute ago, cougie said:

Are they going past the cars ? 2 tonnes of metal at 20mph is  lot more dangerous than 80kilos doing 20mph. 

You are assuming the village has lots of cars.  As we are on the C2C. in summer bikes far outnumber the cars apart from the "rush hours" i.e. going to work and returning (most outside school hours).

However the point is the post suggested that 30mph was the only speed limit cyclists had to be concerned about.  With the ever increasing  number of 20mph limits and cyclists, coupled with the regularly increasing complaints about speed, it is something which needs kept in mind.  Particularly by cyclists. 

6 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

My missus appealed an 18 month ban for being drunk in charge, handed down by a magistrates court. The sensible judge at crown court, upon hearing the evidence and confirming that a ban was not compulsory quashed it and replaced it with a nominal fine. 

22 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

they (the family) looked into it but were advised that there would be little chance of success as the car was on the public highway with the engine running and he was the sole occupant for quite a period of time which meant there was no avoiding that he was in charge of the motor vehicle (the running engine was the killer)

When I was learning to drive the instructor asked me to stop outside a local shop so that he could nip in and buy some ciggies. He got out of the passenger door and started walking towards the shop, then suddenly dashed back and grabbed the keys from the ignition. I guess if we had been caught I could have got points and a fine, and he could have lost his job.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

When I was learning to drive the instructor asked me to stop outside a local shop so that he could nip in and buy some ciggies. He got out of the passenger door and started walking towards the shop, then suddenly dashed back and grabbed the keys from the ignition. I guess if we had been caught I could have got points and a fine, and he could have lost his job.

Or concerned you might do a bit of practice driving on your own as you were paying for the hour.