Lining under gunwale

LadyG

Featured Posts

As title, the boat [NB] has been lined with some coarse ply.

I'd like something more attractive, and fairly easy to apply [including round radiators and sockets].

Approx 15 sq m.

I tried self stick vinyl flooring, but it came unstuck, seemed to "warp" 

I have dark blue Flotex carpet on the floor.

Arthur likes to sharpen his claws on the existing hessian lining, which is very drab and now looking rather tatty.

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'd like something more attractive, and fairly easy to apply [including round radiators and sockets].

Approx 15 sq m.

Are round radiators and sockets more difficult to apply than normal 'square' ones ?

• Happy 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Paint would seem to fit the bill of being easy to apply. It’s also cheap and quick. 

Lacquered 6mm veneered ply would look great but requires skill and knowledge to do. 

I have painted the galley, the engine room, the deck-head, and above the gunwales, skirting boards, and 90% of the outsides. I can paint no more.

The problem with veneering is how to apply pressure to create a perfect finish.

There already is 6mm ply. No room for another 6mm

27 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Cork floor tiles stick on well and are warm to the touch.

Agreed, but I want something more .... sophisticated ....

Edited by LadyG

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

The problem with veneering is how to apply pressure to create a perfect finish.

Contact adhesive on both surfaces, then when it’s dry very carefully apply the veneer from either one side or the bottom, pushing hard with a roller such as the one linked below. Gradually ‘roll’ the veneer over the whole surface. Not an easy job at all and if you don’t align it correctly when you start then you’re screwed. 
https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+hand-tools-veneer-tools-pressure-rollers-pressure-roller-for-wood-veneer-dakota+dkvr1?utm_campaign=Googlebase&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=Googlebase&geoip=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgKzwBRCjARIsABBbFuhNvibV2B3WbTSuEXc8k8EKnN35loGMNv5HdnTMZIK2SUfOh2SGn0UaAl96EALw_wcB

20 hours ago, bizzard said:

Cork floor tiles stick on well and are warm to the touch.

I lined VS with cork tiles 20 years ago. Stuck on with good quality impact adhesive, sanded down then matt varnish. Warm and easy to clean.

23 hours ago, LadyG said:

Approx 15 sq m.

That's because it was never designed to be stuck to vertical or inverted horizonal surfaces. 

I've used wood effect vinyl flooring to line my doors. Stuck it up with Stixall and it worked really well.

IMG_20180810_203038_116.jpg

Edited by blackrose

• 4 months later...
On 30/12/2019 at 23:01, WotEver said:

Paint would seem to fit the bill of being easy to apply. It’s also cheap and quick. 

Lacquered 6mm veneered ply would look great but requires skill and knowledge to do. 

After many samples and queries, I ve gone with Teamac penetrating wood primer and 7 year scrubable wood paint [Rawlins paints], it looks terrific, its turquoise! The paint is not cheap, but it works [unlike BandQ quick dry]

Edited by LadyG

On 31/12/2019 at 11:00, WotEver said:

Or leatherette. 

I decided against lining material, in case of damage, but thanks for all suggestions, I tried veneering, expensive and no "wow", then vinyl flooring lining, not very satisfactory, so went for a good primer and a strong "scrubable" turquoise paint: looks wow,  easy enough to re-do every couple of years if required.

Edited by LadyG

• 3 months later...