Engine Alternator and Idling Questions

XAMK

Featured Posts

The above illustration of charging show you why solar is so useful, do bulk charge in the morning then let the sun do the long slow charge when the batteries are restricting the current.  Lithium batteries are totally different and would take the full 175 amps from your alternator but probably that would burn out in a few hours because alternator are not really designed for continuous full load in a small engine room. If thinking of lithium batteries remember they can also be killed by abuse, but even easier than lead acid, which are pretty robust.

9 hours ago, XAMK said:

I take it LiFePO4 don't behave in the same way, is this one of the reasons people are switching to them? 

Yes. But they have their own limitations which makes for an ‘interesting’ installation with various levels of protection required. 

9 hours ago, XAMK said:

I take it LiFePO4 don't behave in the same way, is this one of the reasons people are switching to them? 

Before you go too far down that route please spend time studying so you REALLY understand the requirements of over and under charge control, over and under voltage control, the maximum and minimum operating temperatures, cell balancing, and the optimum percentage of charge range. These tend to alter for each user and if you get it wrong is likely to have  afar more disastrous effect on the batteries than it will with lead acids.

Thanks all for the advice and help.

No offence was taken, I am right at the beginning of my adventure when it comes to canal boats, so I'm bound to ask more basic questions. 

I did my 10m pleasure craft licence abroad a while ago, I think it's called 10m ICC in the UK (not that relevant to canal boating) and it took a couple days drive to get the boat to the marina its currently in, I was never told or it didn't come up regarding pulling the lever out. 

I am planning to go on a helmsman course before I get out on the water. And in the mean time do a lot more reading regarding requirements for batteries.   

Edited by XAMK