Macerator toilet smell.

Felshampo

Featured Posts

On 31/12/2019 at 14:34, Sea Dog said:

I can neither confirm nor deny that, in the late 70s, I did myself lay eyes upon the "Princess Margaret Trophy", made by the stokers who looked after the plumbing in the Royal Yacht. It comprised of an impressively large, oven dessicated movement, varnished and mounted on a wooden plinth, and it resided in the rather unique leading hands' bar on the Yacht itself. I'd not be surprised if one or two other members here may also be unable to confirm nor deny seeing it.

Whilst I never did see it with my own eyes, it was well known that the polished turd did in fact reside onboard but I was told it resided in the stokers mess? 

Having digested all of the above comments, so to speak, I have formulated some explanation for the behavior of my system.

I think the blue the previous owner used killed everything and so no gasses were produced and there were no smells to start with . 

I stopped using blue after about six months and changed over to Silky but it seems the transition can take longer than I thought. If there is still blue in the system killing the bacteria, but not all of them, leading to some fermentation of the waste and some gas production which is venting along the pipe from the waste tank to the toilet. 

The non return valve is probably there to prevent the back flow of liquids but not gases. 

Hopefully with each new pump out the gas production will get less and less as a finally get rid of the last of the blue. 

45 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Whilst I never did see it with my own eyes, it was well known that the polished turd did in fact reside onboard but I was told it resided in the stokers mess? 

Twas in the killick's bar (a rarity in in HM Ships, eh?) when I was doing a bit of FMG work there as a killing myself. It'd undoubtedly have been a stoker creation, but whether it normally resided in the stokers' mess or the L/H bar, I don't know.

• Greenie 1