Webasto Timer

Dave W

Featured Posts

Having recently forked out £200 for a service I thought I’d actually use it today instead of my immersion. 
Went to press the manual override on the timer and the red backlight went out and nothing’s happened since. Checked the two fuses near the webasto burner and they look ok. Does the timer have an internal fuse maybe? Any ideas before I lob the lot over the side?

The timer is very basic and looks like it came out of a Christmas Cracker.

Edited by Dave W
Addition

Hi Dave, the WEBASTO can go into an error state, to reset i think, for memory, you need to take the two blade fuses out for 2 mins, reinsert, turn on the times,  take the fuses out, for 2 mins, reinsert and turn timer on again.. this should clear the error and reset the unit.

The process is described in the manual if you have one, or you can download one from the Webasto website.

Yes, I’ve had that before after several attempts to fire up. This seems different I’m wondering if the timer is kaput. It’s completely blank.

Guess I’ll have to try and get a tester on it. It has tiny wires and a baby multiplug on the back.

7 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Guess I’ll have to try and get a tester on it. It has tiny wires and a baby multiplug on the back.

When I was but a sprout and playing around with dead tellys I once spent a good half hour poking around in the back of one before I thought to check the fuse...

Is your Webasto a Thermotop C ?

If so (and you are confident) -disconnect the timer on the three way plug and bridge terminals 2 & 3 -this should start it. 

If you want to double check your wires first -you should have a posi supply (pin 2-red), a neg for controller (pin 1-brown) and remaining wire (pin 3-black) which switches the  webasto on. This  goes to pin 3 on the big multiplug on top of webasto. Apply power to switch on. Disconnect to switch off.

Fiddle at your own risk...?

No, I don’t want to fiddle (but my son might, he’s an electrician). I guess what I’m asking is if the timer runs off a separate fuse to the Webasto heater?

The two fuses in the holder next to the Diesel unit look fine although untested.

Should I be looking for another fuse for the programmer or maybe a relay? 
The programmer has no backlight or digital readout anymore. I have no wiring diagram (Thermo top C)

16 hours ago, WotEver said:

When I was but a sprout and playing around with dead tellys I once spent a good half hour poking around in the back of one before I thought to check the fuse...

True indeed - as a trainee avionics oink back when in the RAF at Cosford, learnt that rather than tear the aircraft to bits, check the circuit breaker - bloody instructors were always doing stuff like that:wacko:

1 minute ago, rustynewbery said:

True indeed - as a trainee avionics oink back when in the RAF at Cosford, learnt that rather than tear the aircraft to bits, check the circuit breaker - bloody instructors were always doing stuff like that:wacko:

My Dad was an instructor as Cosford!  I think he was teaching Morse Code & telegraphy(?) ...

Came back tut boat a few days ago and the Eber was t*ts up again. Quickly traced to a corroded fuse in the control box.  Jiggled it and up she sparked.  Then finally did what I should have done 16 years ago and replaced it with a modern car type spade fitting fuse with nice holder.  In the process, removed about 70% redundant wiring in said box as it was to power remote fans and other stuff usually fitted to trucks & trains.  So far...……….

3 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

My Dad was an instructor as Cosford!  I think he was teaching Morse Code & telegraphy(?) …

1968-9 and 70-71. Rank of AC plonk and SAC respectively  [Just a bit off topic, sorry Mods]

On 31/12/2019 at 15:59, system 4-50 said:

My Dad was an instructor as Cosford!  I think he was teaching Morse Code & telegraphy(?) ...

Used to be that quite a few sons and daughters got into Morse cos their da da di dit...

(Well, someone had to say it) ;)

On 31/12/2019 at 16:03, rustynewbery said:

Came back tut boat a few days ago and the Eber was t*ts up again. Quickly traced to a corroded fuse in the control box.  Jiggled it and up she sparked.  Then finally did what I should have done 16 years ago and replaced it with a modern car type spade fitting fuse with nice holder.

Dont get too excited. My ebersparky thingy gave up a few days ago ...(I posted a thread on it) ...... and it turned out to be corroded fuses (easily cleaned up!) .....but my control box has already been upgraded and has modern type car spad fuses. They still corrode and need cleaning every few years.